Homemade jerky

I just got my jerky strips hung on sticks in my smoker. I'm letting them drip dry a bit before I start applying smoke. I'm going to use hickory and smoke for a couple hours and then let finish drying at a temp @140F.

I used a whole bottom round roast sliced @ 1/8" thick and marinated 24 hours in soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, minced cayenne pepper, black pepper, garlic and brown sugar.

How do you make your jerky Veeky Forums?

Here's what it looks like after smoking for a couple hours. You can see the ones on the right have dried more since they were over the heating element.

Where my jerky fags at? I know you're out there.

Uh, you're posting in Veeky Forums buddy. We're all firm advocates that Meat is Murder.

ᵀʰᶦˢ ᵐᵉˢˢᵃᵍᵉ ʷᵃˢ ˢᵖᵒᶰˢᵒʳᵉᵈ ᵇʸ ᴾᴱᵀᴬ⋅

I just throw bacon with a honey glaze in the oven on 200 for a few hours and viola, bacon jerky. Bit more pain in the ass than with a smoker or dehydrator, but works well enough.

Very nice. I only make jerky when I hunt. I've not been hunting in a few years.

Post the finished product so I can masturbate.

that's looking nice. you should rotate the ones on the right so they don't get burnt

I'm keeping an eye on them and will start pulling when they're done.

I prefer s cheaper cut of meat; skirt steak, flat iron steak, anything with a lot of fat and connective tissue in it. slice 1/8 nch thick and jerked in:
>sweet red wine
>salt
>honey
>black pepper
>sambal olek

Brine for 36 hours then cold smoke for 24 using oak then use a forced air dehydrator (one that does NOT use heat) to finish.

how do you cut them so thing? partially freeze?

Wilco. Always happy to help anons reach vicarious sexual release.

Deliscious, tasty murder.

>this post sponsored by People for the Eating of Tasty Animals

>jerky from game

Yeah, I made this to make sure my jerky making skills are still up to snuff for the upcoming deer season. Bow season started already but it's still too fucking hot for butchering and the ticks are still horrible so I'm waiting for a frost to knock them back a bit.

yes

Usually an hour in the freezer will firm it up enough for a sharp knife.

>forced air dehydrator (one that does NOT use heat) to finish

It's probably a bit of a cheat to use the heat but I'm only going to 140F so I still usually get acceptable results. Your marinade sounds interesting. I might try the red wine and salt instead of the soy and worcestershire next time but I'll still have to throw some garlic and hot peppers in there.

DAMNIT. I knew i forgot something. It's suposed to have garlic paste in it. Onion paste sound like a great addition too.

Technically if you're using heat above 120F in your smoking or dehydrating you're actually cooking it not smoking or dehydrating it.

>using heat above 120F in your smoking or dehydrating you're actually cooking it not smoking or dehydrating it

True, although it does speed up the drying process to where it's usually dried to the "fold w/o breaking" point in about 12 hours with the added heat. That's usually my maximum beer drinking allotted time so I like to try to wrap up by then.

How much does a decent dryer cost? Those contraptions look expensive as a second stove if not double.

A cold dehydrator?
You can build one for about $35 using bungee cords, a box fan and three pleated celulose furnace filters. Based St. Alton has taught me well.

A smoker is a bit more expensive but is well within even the most elementary of DIY skills.

Last time I made jerky I used a bit of malt vinegar as well as some hot sauce made with scorpion and ghost peppers. I didn't have a smoker so I used liquid smoke in the marinade instead, fresh finely diced garlic, some other stuff. Turned out amazing, especially with the little dried bits of garlic and chili flakes on the slices/leftover in the plastic bag