Symposium

then

Apology

>not Euthyphro then Apology

>not starting with the chapter explaining how to fist little boys
what the fuck are you doing

with the presocratics

The order they're in.

The sophists are the most interesting ones, but most of what we have about is from Plato to begin with.

Michael?

Read the introduction first, there is probably a preliminary interpretation and biographical informations about the dialogues.

There is.

Any of the shorter Socratic dialogues is a good starting place. Something like Laches.

With the Greeks

With the Mesopotamians.

Open a random page, read the 1st, the 14th and then the 37th word. Mark that page as read, then open another one, repeat
That's actually how Plato intended his works to be read

Read Ion and Meno first

consult gregory b sadler on youtube and check the stanford encyclopedia. Finally, check out the online lectures of the Great Courses about Plato.

Wikipedia. Then put it on a shelf and pretend you've read it like everyone else.

Start with the greeks

Best post in this thread.

euthydemos if you like shitposting

i like all the fags itt being all DURR PAGE ONE YOU DUM-DUM when the actual order of plato's works has been debated for millennia

is this book pretty expensive? cant find it for under $40

that's funny, i found it for $0 just now

where

>is this book expensive

depends, do you consider $10 expensive? You can find a complete plato anywhere they sell used books. alternatively, library.

Yeah but these books are generally curated to reflect that.

Besides, it doesnt really make a difference what order you read them, except for the trial stuff.

fpbp

If OP is reading for the first time there's no need to over-complicate things. Cooper follows Thrasyllus' ordering, and each dialogue has an introduction that explains its links to others.

ive never seen one

How new r u

What do you think he means dude

Are you after the particular edition in OP? There's nothing special about it.

Also abebooks, dumbass

>e-books ever being a substitute for a good physical copy

oh yeah let's pay 40$ for the privilege of carrying a 2000 page hardcover volume around, that's very practical. you could give me that fucking brick for free and i'd still pirate the ebook and read that instead.

i swear to god, you paper sniffers don't even read, that's why you're oblivious for why an ebook might be a better choice for the fucking complete plato.

I think it's a great volume that's very well made. I have it and it's acid free of course and smyth sewn. So obviously it'll last a long time. It also comes with annotations from Hackett but only what the editor thought was important which is fine because I compared them to what's in individual Hackett paperbacks and it does cut out the fluff annotations. It's the best complete edition by far.

Also just get which ever is your preference for e-book or physical. I didn't mind the $40 because it's Plato, all of it. If you're not a neet you won't mind. Great value.

Walk to the kictchen and throw it in the trash, proceed to read DFW

Start on wikipedia. Then read the last section first followed by the first section- read the whole thing through.

You didn't read it, shut the fuck up you stingy cunt

It's a $40 book that will take you well over a hundred hours to read through even once. It's worth the investment.

Euthyphro is THE dialogue to start with - not just with Plato - but with Philosophy in general.

Why people buy Plato in separate volumes (like all those penguins) instead of collected in one big volume like pictured is beyond me.

Aside from The Republic, I guess.

Start with Heraclitus, the first and best Philosopher

>tfw I did this

Idk I just felt like it was all too smushed together

>he didn't read Plato in those comfy American volumes from the turn of the century that fit nicely in your hand but have big chunky text so you feel like you read 200 pages in an hour

>Parmenides that early on most of those lists.

Reading this is harder than I expected, my edition doesn't have introduction and doesn't tell you anything about the texts. I'll probably just try to read the texts quickly and then meditate on what I read and reread them at some other point.