Has a book ever made you cry?

Has a book ever made you cry?

I see "booktubers" crying about shitty YA fantasy bullshit all the time, but I have honestly never read a book that has brought physical tears to my eyes.

there have been one or two that brought me close. but I'm also an emotionless freak.

my

Same desu, a couple have come close but never have broken the waters

Closing scene of Stoner made me a bit misty eyed but never read anything that made a tear fall.

what is YA¿

The end of Sons & Lovers brought a tear or two to my eyes. It was sad to watch him fall apart and rejecting Miriam. I felt empty

I cried three times the past 25 years.

>today watching koe no katachi
I'm a faggot, I know.

>when the only pet I've ever had and the only being I've ever given a damn about was killed by a fucking bomb
I'm a dumbass for keeping a dog while living in a warzone.

>when, as a kid, I found out adults are all children with bigger bodies and more fucked up emotions pretending they know what they're doing in a futile attempt to keep human society moving, else we all die
I think I broke myself laughing so hard.

I've felt a few pangs of things with books, but it was daft musings on the content (words, alternate meanings) moreso than the context (book itself, meaning of the passage).

I think I cried when I read 'of mice and men'
Can't think of any others though

Kazuo Ishiguro's 'Remains of the Day' really got to me. I was sad-ish right at the end of it, but then about half an hour after finishing it I really broke down and wept, because I recognized too much of myself in Stevens.

It stayed with me for a long time, and as a consequence I actually made a pretty significant career change that ultimately led to a better life, and as a consequently I'm always going to be very grateful to Ishiguro.

With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa made me cry.

I think Flowers For Algernon was the closest to making me cry

Towards the end of Brothers Karamazov, when Alyosha is addressing the children after the funeral, and instructing them on how to live life in the wake of the death of their friend, made me sob.

Specifically when the Okinawan woman with gangrene begs the author to kill her.

this

mein nachlass tbf

I have a fairly high tolerance to this type of stuff. Not to say I lack emotional reactions to movies or books, just to say that those emotions that I have don't necessarily materialize into anything resembling crying. The ending of A Farewell To Arms did it for me. Some parts in the Gulag Archipelago shook me up emotionally, but didn't make me weep outright. The ending of Brothers Karamazov made me shed a tear of bittersweetness. That last chapter with Alyosha and the schoolboys at the funeral was mixed with a good dose of somberness to make the lightheartedness seem more powerful. Also some very relateable parts in My Struggle made me a little teary, specifically the bit about the writers retreat where he first met his second wife Linda, and her subsequent rejection of him.

Felisin younger.

The Grey Havens

Ah fuck i remember that one.

I cried a number of times reading The Silmarillion as a 15 or 16 year old. I think I cried when the dwarves betrayed the elves and also when some characters died.

Around age 12-13 I would cry reading old children's books that I loved when I was younger. Not because of the content, just thinking about how I would never be a little kid again or something.

In more recent times I think Murakami has brought me to tears a couple times.

i cried at one day in the life of ivan denisovich because it reminded me of when i was in prison

the last line of - 'The end of an unclouded day. Almost a happy one.' got me man

I cried reading Flowers for Algernon when I realized I was the retard all along

When I was rereading Moby-Dick and I started reading "Loomings," I teared up. They were tears of joy, though, because I was so happy to be reading Moby-Dick again.

exact same

Very rarely. For some reason I started sobbing at the end of At Swim-Two-Birds. I cried re-reading Phaedo (I realize both of these are somewhat odd). Don't remember any others recently. Certain poems make me cry as well. Not literature but many of Ozu's films make me weep uncontrollably like a little bitch.

Fuck. This too. Good for you, man.

No, too much of a disconnect I guess. A movie can get me to cry, even music occasionally but books/video games never have.

>Crime and Punishment
>Bros K
>Mrs. Dalloway
>Tortilla Flat
>Of Mice and Men
>Stoner
have all made me tear up, but The Road is the only book that has ever made me flat out cry like a bitch. It was in public, too.

Yes. I can remember crying over two books--

>Iliad, when Athena and Achilles cry out together in anguish so heartbroken over Patroclus that the Trojan charge breaks and flees in fear
>In Count Belisarius, when Belisarius is recognized by one of his soldiers and his old relic bowl overflows with gold before the day is out
>When Antonina weeps for Belisarius and not for the Thracian boy

Hold me Veeky Forums, to know those feels I would carry such a weight

Jeff Bezos, is that you?

Germinal

I cry all the goddamn time to books. Admittedly I find myself crying to many forms of media.
Most recent was Norwegian Wood. I cried during Ulysses and I can't remember why.
The most ridiculous book I've ever cried too was probably some Dungeons and Dragons paperback I bought at a flea market.
What's wrong with me guys?

You were born a woman.

I have never cried at a book. I couldn't cry even if i wanted to. I think the last time I cried was in my teenage years, when i found out i was adopted.

I shed a tear reading about Richard Nixon, not even fucking joking.

It's in Nixon: A Divided Man. It goes through his whole life. At the end it discusses Nixon's later life, how he kept trying to stay positive on life despite being rather disgraced at the end. And then Pat Nixon passed away. There's just a part of the book that shows a picture of the funeral and it's the only time you truly see Richard Nixon fully defeated, lost the love of his life. He's full of tears and sorrow.

It got me, it scares me deeply that I could one day face a similar reality. Be a widower that is not a President.

Almost cried in Gravity's Rainbow when it talks about how Bodine will start letting Slothrop go, and when it talks about Hogan and his kid and how "it will all go on, with or without Uncle Tyrone."

I haven't cried at a book for a long time, but this made me cry when I read it as a kid.

bruh

The end of The Grapes of Wrath made me tear up.

Also that part in Suttree where I don't know how to spoiler

Rostam's death through betrayal and humiliation after years of serving his King and suffering and loss always does it for me.

So yeah gonna go with the Shahnammeh.

The Adventures of Augie March by Saul Bellow

In that chapter about Augie's brother.

some classics, older non-fiction, theology texts

basically hearing about how things used to be better, or reading something by someone with common sense will oft bring me to the verge of tears, if not past it.

qt

Speech by the stone at end of TBK.

I've also teared up a bit at the end of The Brothers Karamazov.

>I'm a faggot, I know.

I remember crying when I read the mango, hopefully the movie is as good

Definitely this, especially because the novel felt so real.

Jude the Obscure. Little Father Time's death went and fucked me up real good.

same here emotionally stunted family

ending of the Count of Monte Cristo

"wait and hope" (;__;)

Stoner. Dat ending.

Mrs.Dalloway. Septimus' last chapter fucked my shit up. Woolf just puts me in my feels in general.

There was also a chapter in The Broom of the System that got to me, which surprised me because overall I thought it was pretty meh.

this

I'll cry if there's no good food left in my cupboard and I'm hungry but when my dog died I didn't shed a single tear.

I cried when I was a kid when I read a children's book about a housecat passing away

I had a tear in my eye towards the end of Spring Snow when Kiyoaki is making his pilgrimage up the snowy hill to the nunnery.

And they keep turning him away while he is coughing his lungs out from the tuberculosis

Young Adult (Vg.: Twilight, John Green, Hunger Games)

The scene in War and Peace where they were in the sleigh under the stars on Christmas put some tears in my eyes. Ivan's conversation with Satan in The Brothers Karamazov is another instance I can remember where I was moved to tears.

It has happened to me several times, though I can't remember all of them off the top of my head.

Phaedo

I cry at so much stuff in books. The sentences don't even have to convey any sadness. When a writer describes anything in exuberance I tear up like a baby.

Flowers for Algernon and Victoria by Hamsun

"[Y]ou strange fellows. It is mainly for this reason that I sent the women away, to avoid such unseemliness."

I wasn't straight sobbing or anything, but Stoner brought me to tears I have to be honest. And it had that gut-wrenching sadness feeling going on in me multiple times at different points.

>A Farewell To Arms
Pleb

Johnny's Got His Gun and the scene where Humbert parts with Lolita for the last time got me crying, although my sorrow for the former was more powerful.

Warzone? Where are you from, user?

Also, Flowers for Algernon sure got me when I read it. Only book that ever did, I believe.

Mice and men made me cry like a bitch. Sad books generally don't make me cry, they just make me feel awful (e.g. Stoner).

The children of hurin made me cry like ltitle baby

The Rocket by Ray Bradbury

but that's a short story

when the dad reads her letter

ah shit you brought back the feels

Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson

Thus Spoke Zarathustra

Tail end of House of Leaves, there's a short bit involving a mother losing her child shortly after childbirth. Got to me for personal reasons.

Same. As scandalous as I had heard Jude the Obscure was for its time, that scene still shocked me.

Thomas Hardy novels, King Lear, books about WWI, novels where the lovers aren't going to end up together, etc

I always get teary after reading a children's books from my old library, because they remind me of a time when i was an innocent kid who felt a childish passion with books and wasn't troubled with existential angst nor suicidal thoughts.

I'm sorry bro

Them fucking poverty feels.

Feel ya man.

>even music occasionally
Such as?

>tfw can't discuss fanfiction on this board

I teared up a little in Atlas Shrugged, I think--when the corrupt politicians used all the grain cars in the USA to get fruit from California while the actual grain in Minnesota rotted in the stations.

I've cried to plenty of books, but often I feel like I project my own melancholy onto the work and it affects me in a peculiar way that isn't necessarily caused by the work itself, if that makes any sense. Here's a list off the top of my head:
The Iliad and Odyssey
The Brothers Karamazov, Crime and Punishment, The Idiot
Fathers and Sons
Don Quixote
Romeo and Juliet
Idylls of the King
Frankenstein
Metamorphoses (Orpheus section)
War and Peace

I dunno man, depends on what mood I'm in.

You know... sad songs.

The bit in Infinite Jest when the Antitoi brothers die. "Lucien is free, catapulted home over fans and the Convexity's glass palisades at desperate speeds, sounding a bell-clear and nearly maternal call-to-arms in all the world's well-known tongues"

The ending of Lolita. Where Nabokov describes her as a faded girl or something... something about it made me tear up.

Sure. However, the medium isn't as conductive as multi-sense mediums.
I have difficulties even thinking of my favorite series without getting emotional.

Bram strokers Dracula.

When the team got together to kill that freak and when mina was willing to die through her exorcism then risk vanhelsings demise showed a kind of British , and American, bravery in that time that i was unaware of. It really drove home the finality of facing evil and fighting it back. Even if it was just knife fighting a bunch of gyps's and cutting the head off a corps.

>ending of Stoner
>Fantine section of Les Miserables
>end of Don Quixote
>The Paradiso, for some reason that I can't remember
>end of Under The Volcano
>Pökler section of Gravity's Rainbow
>many sections of The Jungle
I'm a real crybaby.

I vaguely remember tearing up a little bit while reading My Sweet Orange Tree (Meu Pé de Laranja Lima) when I was around 13 years old or so.

There was a part of Something Happened that made me cry

Hey man when some of the characters die in dragonlance that shits pretty intense. Ive never cried to that shit though, youre still a pussy.

When Bëor, the leader of the first house of the Men that came to West died, and elves realized how short the lives of men were.

Norwegian Wood pushed me to think differently about life, I took a step back from things and I guess I just watched it at the 'right' time. It really helped me with my depression.

>Has a book ever made you cry?
All the fucking time, especially this year. Fathers and Sons really knee'd me in the balls and it wasn't that heart renching. Silence was pretty depressing as was No Longer Human.

Any good booktubers?

Recently the Sound of Waves by Mishima has been making me tear up a little, but my last big cry was after a breakup when reading The Stranger, the part neighbor talks about losing his dog, really fucking killed me