Why is the blue Whale larger than most Dinosaur, yet it lives in a lower oxygen content world...

Why is the blue Whale larger than most Dinosaur, yet it lives in a lower oxygen content world, and spends a large part of it's life holding it's breath?
youtube.com/watch?v=7kL7qDeI05U

Other urls found in this thread:

news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/11/1118_051118_grass_dinos.html
larouchepac.com/20150520/vernadskian-reconsideration-galactic-cycles-and-evolution
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3100467&dopt=Abstract
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

By "why" do you mean "how"? Otherwise, the answer is because it does.

Higher oxygen content, is the reason given to explain larger size.
But the blue whale (most whales) accomplishes this in a lower oxygen system, and they breathe less?
>because it does

Magick

Or , lives in water... less affects of gravity = larger size?

I'm not sure if this question has been definitively answered yet. You would probably start by figuring out how exactly holding your breath for periods of time effects growth.

There is the obvious part where more oxygen means more energy for more growth. But there are surely many subtleties along the way.

>One early estimate by Mickey Mortimer estimated that Bruhathkayosaurus could have reached 40–44 m (131–144 ft) in length and to have weighed 175–220 tons.[5] However, Mortimer later retracted these estimates, reducing his estimated length of Bruhathkayosaurus to 28–34 m (92–112 ft), and declined to provide a new weight estimate, describing the older mass estimates as inaccurate.[6][7]

Thanks... but less gravity seems more likely, plenty of scientific facts have proved to be false in the past, higher oxygen might be one.
Just the best they could come up with at the time, and never challenged.

If you really want an answer it's a few things. Whales have the advantages of being adapted to land (strong muscle support and bones to support those muscles) but also reap the benefits of being underwater (gravity doesn't impact them as much due to buoyancy) and that second part is why you have the ability to grow so large.

Not only do they have large bones and muscles but they have less restraint on body size because it doesn't carry as much energy to be large as it would above ground.

Um, so why did this guy not just roll back into the water?
Also thanks

>Why are creatures that evolved in an endless open space bigger than land creatures?

>imblying the dinosaurs existed

Also wouldn't prehistoric marine mammals, be bigger than a blue whale?

You mean Earth's gravity was higher in the past?
Forget it.

Whereas we have concrete evidence of what the air was like in past ages. Minute pockets of ancient atmosphere trapped in ice and amber.
As shows, present gravity is more than enough to immobilize anything that size that's no supported by water.

Um gravity works in levels , no expert just a thought, less in the past.
>Whereas we have concrete evidence of what the air was like in past ages. Minute pockets of ancient atmosphere trapped in ice and amber.

Up until a decade ago, a feathered Dinosaur would of been laughed at.

Can you explain these "levels", please.
Any evidence?
There's plenty that gravity HASN'T changed more than a microscopic fraction of a percent since the Big Bang. I'd say "not at all" but the experiments aren't that definitive yet.

Also fat primary metabolite

>no expert
Subtle changes in gravity can effect how large an animal can grow, was the (suggestion).

Why are Whales bigger than Dinosaurs was
the question?

I think it is more to do with higher temperatures and more CO2 in the past which allowed massive plant growth which meant far more food for animals than there is today.

Speculations.

A lot of the terrestrial mega fauna has been wiped out by humans but even those in the pic you posted don't reach dinosaur proportions.

>I think it is more to do with higher temperatures and more CO2 in the past which allowed massive plant growth which meant far more food for animals than there is today.

Equatorial South America would then have the biggest animals?
But Blue Water Hippo is larger.
My bad, not a good pic

Answers a question with a question /sci

MORE WATER
Most long-term comets (those which have an orbital period of more than 200 years) are thought to be pushed from the Oort cloud towards the inner solar system by the gravity of stars that pass near enough to dislodge these objects from their orbit.

Maybe he doesn't want to I don't know his life or story.

Not necessarily. There probably were some though since there was a lot of available food but I don't really know much about dinosaurs.

Can someone please draw lines between the plane and the whale so there's an explainable reason that it's soaring with the pterodactyls.

(YOU)
Came to Veeky Forums 4 answers, ...so confused

The purpose of breathing is to get an electron acceptor to maintain an ion gradient within the mitochondria to produce more energy through the breakdown of NADH and FADH2 formed during the Krebs cycle. I guess that having more oxygen allows larger animals because more energy can be made and thus more cells can be maintained? If this is the case, then the blue whale may just require less energy than the dinosaurs -implying a lower metabolism or less expended energy. This makes some sense given that less energy needs to be used in a whale compared to a dinosaur because it doesn't need to to say- stand upright, as it lives underwater.

This is just a theory, however.

Danke schön

Diet is the reason for sauropod size. Grass didn't evolve yet and they needed large size to harvest trees. When grass evolved sauropods died out and the largest herbivores were around 20 tonnes like mammals.

What the fuck
What the fuck
What the fuck
What the fuck
I'm mad

jesus that's fucking sad

We have no idea what really lived in oceans back then. It's possible there were species 2x larger than blue whale.

The funny part is that the guy who caught this is still going to lie and say it was twice as big.

You've just basically said, the more Oxygen theory is wrong.
Dung Fossils Suggest Dinosaurs Ate Grass
Researchers were able to examine and date minerals from ancient grasses found in the fossilized dinosaur dung. The scientists describe the fossils in tomorrow's issue of the journal Science.
news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/11/1118_051118_grass_dinos.html

Poor whale shark

Did you know it's a big mystery how those long dino necks worked? No type of modern biological tissue would have been even close to strong to move that head around on the end of such a long neck.

Second heart (no lying)
That's what some have postulated, Giraffes constrict there blood vessels when moving their heads down, to compensate for the increase in blood pressure.

Ok... what if it did this to your fishing net?

Their evolutionary line never left the sea. Period.

Kill it first. Then you can chop it up. Butchering something while it's still alive is just sadistic.

>As shows, present gravity is more than enough to immobilize anything that size that's no supported by water.
Or at least, that an animal that size that is not designed to support its weight on land cannot support its weight on land. Larger sauropods show that an animal approaching that size can do so, if evolved to do so. There is no particular reason to assume that the largest sauropods found to date represent either the largest sauropods that ever existed, not that the largest sauropods were as large as it is possible for a land animal to become.

That gorilla is giving zero fucks.

>Their evolutionary line never left the sea. Period.

Whales evolved from land animals, like some Hippo, but not land locked.
Yeah good point

Why would emergence of a new food source that they didn't need wipe out sauropods? Or did trees disappear as well?

And what about late surviving sauropods in some areas?

Would these things leave very very deep footprints because of there huge weight?

you are wrong my friend. Pic related, it's Pakicetus, the first whale and he is a land animal.

Sauropods used many bird technologies to allow them to be bigger than most other dinosaurs, such as hollow bones and air sack lungs. If we assume they were the only ones with bird technology, and the other big dinosaurs did not, then the difference in size between mammals and dinosaurs other than sauropods is not as great, although still pretty big.
When you compare the size of land mammals to dinosaurs, it's a mistake to only consider mammals living in the present, when a large number of big mammals were killed by humans a few 10s of thousand years ago, and dinosaurs did not have to deal with humans.
Still though.
Another reason for the greater size in dinosaurs is that they laid eggs, which allows them to get rid of their children faster. Big mammals are stuck with their children for years which makes reproduction slow.

In theory if they couldn't eat grass, and grass outcompeted their food sources, that would be bad for them.

He'll be fine

You Weigh more at the Equator than on the Poles.

The planet has seasons, and so does the Solar System.
Records of the evolutionary development of life on Earth display a ~62 million year fluctuation. As mentioned above, this biodiversity cycle is strongest when not only examining extinctions, but extinctions together with originations (the appearance of new genera),
larouchepac.com/20150520/vernadskian-reconsideration-galactic-cycles-and-evolution

>Higher oxygen content, is the reason given to explain larger size OF NON MAMMALS
ftfy

I gotta call BS on that, but thanks for the input.

>Thought
The solar system is like a Jellyfish.
The Oort cloud being the outer body. Which moves more than the inner body, Sun and it's Planets. But every time it changes direction, 60 Million years
The outer body is disturbed enough to send more matter (Ice comets) to the inner body.
More Water, More Gravity, Magnetic field, In the Goldilock Zone. Small mammals win

chinks love being sadistic though. more flavor to fish soup.

Bump

not even going to read the thread but it is because water has a higher concetration of oxygen than the atmosphere

>not even going to read the thread but it is because water has a higher concetration of oxygen than the atmosphere

Whales breathe water?
good job Veeky Forums
also concentration, not concetration

Pretty sure whales don't need to support their weight so their size wasn't capped structurally

>Pretty sure whales don't need to support their weight so their size wasn't capped structurally

Because...
Water less affects of gravity, they could never get that big on land.

At a guess, I'd say because it appears to be dead.

That's quite clever.

Made me laugh

Ok not gravity levels, but cell and muscle growth size limits of a moving organism, once a certain amount of mass is reached.

Actually all gravity was higher in the past and it is getting lower everyday as the universe expands. There just isn't enough gravity left.

Smart ass ..,

STOP POSTING THIS SHIT OMFG YOU'RE MAKING ME RACIST

I WANT YOUR OPINION
Not everything we are told is the truth.

based fish btfoing net pussies

So fucking what, of course it's going to do that. You're going to fucking kill it in response? If you left a bunch of candy outside on your sidewalk would you be mad if he stole it and kill him? Fucking degenerate

Are they all born with an innate ability to dance?

Could be...?

god I hate China so much

it's already dead. whales that big die fast when beached because of their massive size crushes themselves, doesn't allow them to inhale/exhale their lungs, and denies circulation.

>on STEM board where everyone here in their undergrad days has dealt with chinese students in their class who flatout cheated during exams right under the professors nose
>not hating them
There is a reason why they are hated in Asia.

>white people dance like this
>its horrible and embarrasing

>POC do it
>they have rhythm and flow

>whales that big die fast when beached because of their massive size crushes themselves,

Only by living in water can they grow to be that massive, could never happen on land right
?

they have six neurons, three for dancing and three for destruction

their existence must cease

Christ, at first I thought she was squeezing the damn sticks and that's why the tentacles were waving about. That's disgusting.

YOU

Because it seems to be correlative with hgh ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=3100467&dopt=Abstract

>thread closed

That was one of the most interesting thread in Veeky Forums since forever : dinosaurs, whales, giant animals, fossils, evolution, archaeology, biology, physics.

Opinion one have you not?

faggot reptiles need to breathe constantly
whale only needs to breathe once every 30 min

Um, so you be sayin they use less Oxygen...
But are still bigger than any other animal, how?

Living in water reduces the affects of gravity?

>Living in water reduces the affects of gravity?

Yes

Then why are Dino's so big? Original question?
They lived on land, in an apparently higher Oxygen content time. But the whale is bigger with less.

Oxygen is a meme. Animals evolve to be larger when increased body size increases reproductive success and they have enough energy available to sustain a large bodysize.
Dino's lived in a time where there was more biomass and thus more energy. Whales are warm blooded air breathers that are capable of filter feeding.

>Oxygen is a meme.
So the most common theory given IS A LIE, and yours is the right one?

Then there should be giants on the Equator.

That actually takes skill to pull off. He would be fucked big time if the bike fell after he landed the punch.

In combination, the equatorial bulge and the effects of the surface centrifugal force due to rotation mean that sea-level effective gravity increases from about 9.780 m/s2 at the Equator to about 9.832 m/s2 at the poles, so an object will weigh about 0.5% more at the poles than at the Equator.

I was wrong, but can't find post, also BUMP

Sauropods and other dinos had access to large amounts of energy that only they could consume. Animals in the regions you named have to compete over recourses with many other species. Species that live in the north often have larger sizes because lack of competition means more energy. Polar bears can afford to be the largest land predators because they have a near monopoly on seals. Spermwhales can afford being fuckhuge by being the only mammals that can access deep sea squid.
I don't know what allowed sauropods to have a monopoly on trees, but i suspect it to be plain old long co-evolution.

Youre level of retardation is astounding, fossil record combined with knowledge gained from various relevant disciplines and finally extant specimens from across long time horizons means that it is incredibly unlikely that anything twice the mass of the blue whale has ever lived.

>Sauropods
But why where they so large?
Reason, thank fuck

Because is not a disadvantage.

WTF???

Those things are smarter than dogs.