What was European cuisine like prior to the introduction of new world crops?

What was European cuisine like prior to the introduction of new world crops?

Any representative recipes?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_cuisine
medievalcookery.com/recipes/
foodtimeline.org/
cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017238-pasta-alla-genovese
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Starvation and famine

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medieval_cuisine
>what is wikipedia

Probably similar to how I eat. The only 3 new world crops I eat are tomatoes, chillies and capsicums.

Grain & root vegetables i suppose.
So any meat stew without potatoes.

they used so much goddamned salt on everything that it drove the price of salt up to be worth higher than gold by weight. hence the term "worth your salt".

Still don't understand this. People had the fucking ocean around all you need to do is let it dry or book of you want to speed it up.

Boil

the term comes from the practice of roman soldiers getting paid in part in salt. it was called salarium.

Anyone inland was buying it from travelling merchants, boiling wasn't efficient enough to sate that many people, and anyone too far north couldn't leave it out to dry most of the year due to weather.

>it took days to get to town to town even by horse

Retard

Salt taxes weren't just a thing in India most governments kept a tight grip on salt production specifically because it was so necessary and profitable.

hardly "genuine" but here's some neat starting points with references

medievalcookery.com/recipes/

Italians didn't eat tomatoes when they came to Italy, instead they grew them for decorative purposes and thought they were poisonous

oi, this is nice. if you want to go farther back in time:
foodtimeline.org/

There are a lot of nightshade plants that are poisonous and most can cross breed with each other so it's not far fetched that some heirloom tomatoes could actually make you sick; tomatillos will make you sick if eaten raw.

>implying I'm going to read all that shit
Can I get a quick rundown?

>Can I get a quick rundown?
Yes, people did cook food in medieval times.

this. they look similar deadly nightshade, and other poisonous Solanum species (as do potatoes), so I'm not surprised people were apprehensive upon their initial introduction

Just turnips.

>come to a discussion medium
>actively work to stamp out discussion
really makes you think

most new world crops didn't become completely assimilated into old world cuisines until a few centuries after.

same happened in the other direction (excluding beef, pigs, and chicken)

If you were just a peasant-user your diet probably consisted of a lot of beans, root vegetables, rustic bread, various forms of cabbage and whatever meat was available. Porridges of the local whole grain were staples, too.

yeah, and they got paid in salt because it was worth so much.

How buzzed were medieval people constantly, if they drank something from four to eight pints of beer daily? I know it was weaker stuff, but still. Especially since the people were smaller and their diets had less proteins and fats.

Their beer didn't have any yeast added so the alcohol content was tiny

Because they used it as a preservative not just a seasoning.

>Because they didn't use yeast
Then nigga they wouldn't have beer. What they did do was just use a smaller grain bill. Less available sugars=less alcohol. They absolutely used yeasts to ferment their beer dummy

>four to eight pints of beer daily
have you not been to college? you're only the tiniest bit buzzed once your body has adapted (two weeks of constant drinking), and you still can get shit done. what is more interesting is that alcoholic beaverages are kind of depressants while coffee is a stimulant, thats why the "rise" of coffee and tea as drinks go hand im hand with intellectual progress at the time. or if anything it didn't hinder any progress

Also most medieval people were more physically active over the course of their average day so they would have burned off a buzz faster.

no shit

cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017238-pasta-alla-genovese

I tried this, it's pretty good. Chef John's version is also salad.

I meant to say solid but i guess it works

There's yeast constantly in the air, and some of that got in the beer. Yeast wasn't added to beer till the modern era. Most of it was from spontaneous fermentation which produces far less alcohol than dumping several grams of yeast into the wort.

It is pretty fascinating that the "Enlightenment" era coincides with coffee first becoming widely drunk it Europe.

>switch from wine to nerd juice
>an entire continent tips its fedora

>spoonfeeding

>literally give a link to an article that spoonfeeds the information in an organized fashion
>calls discussion, the purpose of this site, spoonfeeding