Thick Steak Cooking Methods

I Have a 1 1/2 - 2 inch rib steak that i cut from a roast. But i have no idea how to properly go about cooking it. I've been googling for the last hour and all i'm finding are many contradicting methods. The last time I attempted to cook one of these steaks i burnt the living shit out of it. I don't want to repeat that and waste a beautiful steak.
If anyone can give me some pointers or a solid method I would really appreciate it.

I have a 3 burner gas grill. If that helps explain anything.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4xl7XJM08
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

In order of best to worst,
1. sous vide
2. reverse sear
3. gas grill with constant meat thermometer checking

>room temperature steak
>heavily salt both sides
>no fucking pepper or it burns
>high heat
>3-4 minutes on each side, basically until you get that hmmmmmmmmm colour
>medium heat
>3-4 minutes each side, if you've got it on a pan, add some butter and garlic and baste here and there, otherwise just leave it chill, the butter also helps the pan to cool down a lil' bit
>don't fuck with it
>if you conclude it's still too raw for you (it's not going to be) after these, QUICKMATHS 12-16 minutes, give it 2 minutes on each side tops
>here comes the pepper
>rest for ten minutes
>hmmmmm

Using an oven is for casuals

The simplest way would be to let it reach room temps, then sear off, then finish in the oven, and rest before serving
If you want to get a really nice result, consider looking into reverse sear or sous vide methods

I need a method for a gas grill

>sell gas grill
>obtain a high quality pan
>get a
>room temperature steak
>heavily salt both sides
>no fucking pepper or it burns
>high heat
>3-4 minutes on each side, basically until you get that hmmmmmmmmm colour
>medium heat
>3-4 minutes each side, if you've got it on a pan, add some butter and garlic and baste here and there, otherwise just leave it chill, the butter also helps the pan to cool down a lil' bit
>don't fuck with it
>if you conclude it's still too raw for you (it's not going to be) after these, QUICKMATHS 12-16 minutes, give it 2 minutes on each side tops
>here comes the pepper
>rest for ten minutes
>hmmmmm

Using an oven is for casuals

This user is 100% correct. Reverse sear will probably be easiest for you unless you have sous vide equipment.

Salt the steak liberally on both sides and stick it back in the fridge for 4-6 hours at least. Set your oven as low as it will go and stick the steak in the oven. Cook until below rare, 120F or so. Use a probe. This could take an hour or more. Pull it out an rest it. Heat a cast iron pan or grill as hot as you can get it (600+) and sear each side for 30 seconds to a minute. Should come out cooked a perfect medium rare all the way through through a thin crust from the sear all the way around. Don't rest, serve immediately or it gets soft.

made me lol

Op here used the oven method turned out beautiful. I didnt salt properly ao i got juices everwhere but im proud

that steak isn't fucking thick at all you faggot

elaborate plz

You didn't sear it for shit you worthless idiotic piece of trash. Preheat your grill properly next time, because getting a couple meme lines on the steak is NOT a sear. What a waste.

OK asshole.

This is how you cook real steak. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Get a goddamn thermometer. Wireless lets you be lazy and perfect at the same time.

youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4xl7XJM08

my link didn't come through.

Wow, you mad fagfuck.

This is how I made my millionaire aunt have a food epiphany.

nigga the steak is 1 1/2 thick 2 in on the bone side. i said that in the op i used a fucking measuring tape ffs

>preheated oven to 170f
>put steak on wirerack then on sheetpan
>heated steak for a little over an hour
>checked temp every half hour with thermometer
> removed steak at 115F
>bbq preheated for 15 mins read 600f on shitty lid gauge
>popped that fucker on for 1 minute 40 seconds
>flames for days
>let set two minutes
>gone

fucking meme lines HAHAH

sear it on high on both sides for like 2 minutes each then remove from heat, turn the flame way down, and put a lid on your pan, then return to heat to cook for like 10 minutes or whenever your cooking thermometer shows the desired temp

Put your shitty steak in a warm toaster oven and get it to 125F. Fire up your grill to 600+ degrees and sear it to 135.

Best steak you'll ever taste. No steakhouse will top it.

reverse sear. ALL. THE. WAY.

oh, also put butter pads on the steak so the grill licks it with fire.

Souis vide then sear?
Fuk knows I don't eat meat so I dunno how well this would work but seems like common sense to me

>tfw moved into apartment without actual vent
>vent blows butter smoke back into room, filter doesn’t do anything
Searing steak just isn’t the same without butter

Whenever I have rib eye steak that's 2" or more thick I get a searing hot pan. Cook it all over turning that pan and get it some crust then shove it into the over at 160 celcius for about 5-10 minutes to finish, depending on the thickness. Let it rest for 10 minutes and it's fine. Easily the easiest way that results in even cooking.