Can someone tell me why this guy is talked about every single day when all he did was make a big stink about not...

Can someone tell me why this guy is talked about every single day when all he did was make a big stink about not calling trans people by their preferred genders? I've seen some of his other videos too, and his debate with Sam Harris. Sam Harris pretty much broke down the debate and showed how he's ideologically driven and his arguments make no sense. I literally saw him use an article that was written about conservatives (the one that says they have higher levels of fear and disgust) and went on a talk show and said that study was about liberals. His videos generally tend to be patronizing and melodramatic, plus his constant ranting about postmodernism and liberals is embarrassing and generalizing and vague. Not to mention his fucking new years video he made, where he starts fucking crying because people don't accept jesus christ into their hearts, which he still has as his intro video to his youtube channel.

It's hilarious to me how people think he's this brilliant thinker, I should say sad actually.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YnEFt20qe0o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

hes a meme you dip

Its very sad that we have reach a point where Sam Harris seems like a respectable intellectual

It's also hilarious to me how Veeky Forums contrarians never seem to have anything good to say about life, and yet refuse to commit suicide and keep whining on a Mongolian tapestry-making forum.

>contrarians never seem to have anything good to say
I disagree, they sometimes do.

Well, not on Veeky Forums they don't.

99% of the criticism of Peterson i've seen is like OP's, whining about his character, or the fact that he is getting paid a lot of money on Patreon, which somehow proves he's a charlatan, because god forbid people make money.

It's also absolutely hilarious to say that Peterson is ideological whereas Harris isn't. Harris is the definition of a bourgeois liberal who thinks his own values are "scientific".

What else is good about life?

cuck desu

Peterson is largely a meme but if you unironically think Ben Stiller is some sort of intellectual powerhouse you're even more of one than him.

All I said was he broke down the argument and showed how it was nonsense. Although, I do think that Sam Harris is often very well spoken, and appeals to logic in his arguments in a way that I respect. He is a very level headed, maybe even to a flaw. One thing I miss about Christopher Hitchens was his attitude, he had a lot of it and was extremely entertaining with his gorgeous accent, and his ability to totally shut down people in an argument and put forward his opinion so completely and concisely. I bring up Hitchens because they're comparable and were good friends.

I hear this quite a bit, but i've never been given an example of another contemporary 'brilliant figure', if you have one, it would be much better to compare peterson to him as to make your argument more persuasive because as it stands right now it has no real weight

tldr cry some more

You all need to clean your rooms and
>sort yourselves out

>Peterson
>Harris
One is a psychiatrist (aka a worthless person) and another one is a pop-"""neuroscientist""" who did some meme research on religions. If you have any respect for either, you are a confirmed plebian.

You're never going to make it to the top of the dominance hierarchy if you don't

It's not so much they refuse to do it, they are
just too scared.

>a literal who eceleb

Sure is some great literature in here

Im sure the best way to combat this was to create yet another thread about him

they're both idiots, especially peterson, but also sam harris too
you're an idiot as well

shut the fuck up you gaywad

fuck him. he's a cryptomaterialist who doesn't even believe in god.

he says he acts as if god exists, that's all. it's just a really good story for him. if you asked him if he accepts something like the nicene creed you'd probably get a 10 hour speech where he just avoids saying no.

plus he's a zionist.

I've truly come to the conclusion that Sam Harris is a joke. Not only that, but he's completely driven by petty concerns.

I've listened to every episode of Waking Up, and there are times where he sounds downright condescending to his audience, and, then, when he's begging for money we're suddenly "the only reason this is possible, and I thank you all."

Fucking phony.

That, and he won't invite certain people because he's afraid of what it will do to his "image." Like he's some goddamn Hollywood star that won't get roles. At least they can use him for Zoolander 3.

I also liked that one time where he didn't release that long podcast with the crazy SJW Muslim because it "wasn't worth people's time" only to dramatize the whole thing for weeks. And then it turns out that he was pretty much a dick to that guy and even swore at him.

I'm fairly certain that deep down, Sam Harris is a complete piece of shit. Maybe not a bad person, per se, but a total piece of shit. He's nice, he's nice, he's nice... and then he slips and comes across as a completely different person.

As for Peterson, he's alright. I dislike the raving about Christianity. Both as an atheist, and as a person that believes that religion deserves more respect than simply being an utilitarian tool. But I do like that he insists people take responsibility for their actions.

I don't know, on Waking Up Peterson managed to sound completely insane. But if you actually watch his lectures he's a lot more reasonable. I don't know why but he becomes autistic as fuck when he's invited somewhere and always repeats the same shit.

Man, that new year's podcast and his whiny crybaby wailing was probably the most pathetic thing I've ever listened to.
How conceited and self-absorbed do you have to be to start crying while talking about your own mediocre meme philosophy and Solzhenytsin and how SJWs are mean to you? And then post it online and make yourself seem like some sort of brilliant genius intellectual martyr who is being oppressed by people with gender studies degrees?

Honestly I've never felt so embarrased while listening to something. I can't believe I study at the same institution this man teaches at.
If I ever see him walking around St. George or Syd Smith I'll whip out my Kermit the Frog plushy doll and follow him around while mock-crying about the death of the individual and Tiamat and frog cults and how my wittle feewings have been hurt by mean Nazi SJWs until he punches me in the face, which he won't do cuz he's a pussy.

Jesus, man.

His interviews and podcasts are not that great.

He has hundreds of hours of lectures as well that I'd recommend. I was a student of his last years and his talks and research on personality are brilliant.

Slavoj Zizek
Giorgio Agamben
Peter Sloterdjik
Bruno Latour
Eduardo Viveiros de Castro
Georges Didi-Hubermann

there, have a few of them

What you people don't realize is that Peterson generates non-discourse , semi-intellectual jungian pap wich serves nothing but to generate MORE neoliberalism, something not even /pol/lacks want, as far as I see you people drooling on Veeky Forums. Nothing he says is new and anything is barely useful (from a academic standpoint). Were he not propped into fame by arguing with a bunch of SJWs, no one would even bat an eye, or even worse (or better): he'd be recognized as a canuck version of Alain de Fucking Botton. The way he tries to drag Nietzsche into his jungian bullshit is disgusting, and I haven't seen his videos with any care or real attention, but it often looks like he's about to go into evolutionary psychology territory, which should be the official mark of a hack: using your fanfiction about pre-history to naturalize post-enlightenment western behaviour is worse than, I don't know, social darwinism or medieval theology from a epistemological rigour standpoint.

forced meme

>All these marxists and faggots who can't stop dick riding Foucault and Derrida for one minute

Got any intellectuals who aren't this way, user? Don't get me wrong, Petersen is a faggot too.

I actually do know a bunch of more traditionalist guys, I just won't recommend you any of them because you're even a bigger faggot than Peterson.
Grow some balls to read people who might disagree with you and come back to me.

Right, so people who don't like Peterson take issue with his Christian apologetics where he seems to deem cultural Christian as an acceptable theist category, his dismissal of postmodernism as a monolith (most likely caused by equating it with post-structuralism), his liberal use of Jungian archetypes and narratives as the only tools for ''''darwinian truth'''... Am I missing something? I doubt people here hate him because he thinks it's ridiculous for the government to mandate the use of gender neutral pronouns.

People who dislike Harris do so because of his apologetics for interventionism, his positivist/naturalist attitude and I'm assuming ancaps dislike him because he wants to raise taxes for the rich. Is that it?

I really don't see how any of these views can generate so much visceral hate. I'm not a fan of either of these guys, but they seem to be reasonable individuals and certainly far from cult leaders or ideologues of the sorts we see in other meme philosophers or meme youtube contributors. A chunk of their audience does seem to behave as if they are part of a cult, but I think this is an unintended byproduct of their output.

>Assuming I haven't read Slavoj or Sloterdijk
Stop projecting and share your incredible knowledge with me, eternal user. I am desperate.

what I forgot to add was my conclusion that actually hating either of these guys makes you more of an ideologue than any of their fans in my eyes.

You've read Sloterdjik and think he's a marxist?

The big thing you're missing here user is that both of these guys are "Reddit." So far as I understand, being "Reddit" in this context just means you serve as a catch-all stopping point for anyone who is pursuing critical theory only insofar as it will inflate their own vanity. For the vast majority of idiots, you can stop at a simplistic figure like Harris or Petersen, because you actually have to be somewhat well-read to begin picking their arguments to shreds. So guys like this--sophists who create rhetorical knots that all seem to end with "my patreon is in the description" catch normies who only "read" to prop up the vicarious image of themselves of being smart that they desperately tend. Also keep in mind reading for these people stops at viewing YouTube videos, which is why these neo-sophists can even market their shitty brands in the first place.

I think that's a big part of why Veeky Forums hates them.

Is this even Veeky Forums? Are we still allowed to make good posts? Keep the fight my dude

>Can someone tell me why this guy is talked about every single day when all he did was make a big stink about not calling trans people by their preferred genders?
Maybe because there's something underneath the surface of the topic that's being discussed.
That's exactly why this has blown up over his youtube videos. There is an underlying issue, because of the ideological war on campuses.

Sloterdijk's stance on a lot of shit is based on mid century post-structuralism. It has become a meme in recent months to equate any and all progeny of Marxism with Marxism itself--thus the post-structuralists and the postmodernists--so yeah, in the spirit of the meme, anyone who takes Foucault seriously in current year can be flippantly discarded as not having even set one foot into the dissident kitchen yet.

I see. So it's more about how the monolith of '''''''''''''''''Veeky Forums'''''''''''''' perceives their audience, plus the means by which they sustain themselves financially (being largely dependant on donations).

Seems a bit like petifaggotry to me. I have a nasty feeling that the hate comes from Veeky Forums identity politics, or a large part of Veeky Forums being Marxist/ancap ideologues and/or young and immature.

First of all, I don't get why people conflate post-structuralism with marxism, since a lot of writers (the big memes at least, Foucault D&G and Derrida) are actually ACTIVELY trying to DISTANCE themselves from marxism theory.
I don't give a fuck that it's become a meme, this actually makes you look even worse, you're letting ideas which have nothing to do with those thinkers influence the way you perceive them, and this is exactly the sort of situation post-structuralists as a whole were arguing for, and maybe if you actually tried to read and understand them, you wouldn't come off as such a dolt.

I quite like his lectures and his talks about the mythological origins for human behavior and archetypes. I'm sure he has biases, but then he does specifically state that he doesn't count on anyone just believing everything he says, on the contrary.

I don't know, I've listened to about 15 hours worth of lectures during work and I quite like him.

He's very articulate and fun to listen, even if 90% of what he says is nonsensical garbage that falls apart under the most basic scrutiny

>only six or seven blacks in the top image
>none in the bottom image
heheheheh

It's just a game, user, why you have to be mad,

Also the notion that these ideas have nothing to do with our list of thinkers is pretty optimistic; I don't think you actually think that. Also why do you think the post-structuralists were eager for this sort of a landscape where associations and marketing are god? Also you're still insinuating I haven't read the material. I think you're doing that because it's the easiest way out of this odd argument you have available to you, which leaves your personal image untouched.

"Well user didn't even READ it so who cares, back to me"

Stop that. Also why are you assuming the meme can't be employed as a self aware tool? I am well aware of the way I am loading Marxism in order to drive my point. Instead of sperging out and claiming I haven't read your meme philosophers, maybe make a case?

His rise signifies a transition in reactionaries from the use of supposedly rational paradigms (Sam Harris, Charles Murray, Ayn Rand) to one that is indifferent to it. It's kind of scary to see these people so concerned with protecting the status quo that they no longer care to to use reason to defend it.

What the fuck are you even talking about. Which ideas? Do you mean marxism? Because yeah, as I've said, they were trying to DISTANCE themselves from it, which assumes a initial closeness. Your point is that these writers which clearly wanted to get away from marxist theory are marxists, my point is that they weren't and that this wole "HURRRRRRRR LE POSTSTRUCTURALISTS WNT TO DESTROY THE WORLD" is making Veeky Forums worst by the day. You might seem to think you're a fresh and original thinker but the truth is that day in, day out and it gets pretty dull after a while, specially when you're talking about "these ideas" which you don't even seem to get a grasp on. You knowing you're being memed doesn't change the fact you're being memed.

Ring wing is so devoid of intellectuals that they will jerk off to a random self help youtube guy without blinking an eye just because he agrees with them on some issues.

But ben stiller is also a tard.

Stop wasting your time and listen to lectures of any random professor who doesn't spew this much bullshit.

>who doesn't spew this much bullshit.
good goy, dont listen to people you disagree with.

Jesus Christ, user. You are the worst sort of person.

How is sam harris a reactionary? He's pretty left wing.

Resentment.

>hurr if you dont agree its just cause you haven't read Kant

Harris has a degree from Stanford in philosophy. I'm pretty sure he knows the western canon better than all you brainlets on Veeky Forums and twitter

>good goy
It's time to get back to the containment board.

As left wing as an imperialist can be I guess.

Yeah, bending over to the authoritarian, imperialist government is left wing as hell.

>authoritarian, imperialist
Any more buzzwords you're willing to throw around?

I don't think you understand what a buzzword is kiddo.

You accuse him of generalizing and being vague and then post shit like
>he starts fucking crying because people don't accept jesus christ into their hearts

I wanted to give you a serious reply but you don't deserve it.
Make a new thread and approach it with some intellectual honesty and maybe I'll give it a try.

But we all know you're just a drama queen faggot shitposter, don't we?

weak bait

How uneducated do you have to be to consider 'authoritarian' and 'imperialist' to be buzzwords?

I'm sure there's also a great deal of left wingers that praise Charles Murray too.

I've made it six seconds in before starting to laugh, is he for real?

>the last 5 minutes are about his online self-help program

IT'S ALL A SCAM
STOP TALKING ABOUT HIM FFS

Shit, I'm sorry, that was the wrong video youtube.com/watch?v=YnEFt20qe0o

Three seconds into this one.

>I literally saw him use an article that was written about conservatives (the one that says they have higher levels of fear and disgust) and went on a talk show and said that study was about liberals.
To be fair, it's only natural to have high levels of fear and disgust if the entire establishment is against you.

No one gives a shit about this guy, and people who do are e-celeb fadsters. He is not a producer of great literature and has nothing to say about great literature. I guarantee if you pulled the IPs of posters who bump this thread it will just be a few samefags.

Sage.

This guy is an idiot.
Peterson has loads of shit he's written about the big five and how that ties into conservatism and liberalism.
Im 99% sure he wasn't using that fucking article, but his own academic research.

>Nothing to say about great literature
What are you smoking dude?
He says a lot of stuff about literature, one of them being the BIBLE.
I don't know about you, but I consider that great literature.

The vast majority of people shilling him here are from /pol/ and don't actually read (anything, philosophy especially), only watch his youtube videos. It's pretty obvious from the low iq posts and constant spam of cuck/reddit/goy/whatever is the new buzzword of the day on that board, in the threads about him.

Veeky Forums bluepill me on metanarratives, I want to believe.

Just read Maps of Meaning and watch his lectures. His lectures don't really stand on their own.

>I'll have the combo meal with the extra large straw man, please.

You sound like a butthurt tranny.

You sound like someone who should get back to his containment board.

>gorgeous

All old fucks must die

>Lit is completely homogenous.

sex

People have long since complained about the ideological invasion into the humanities in universities. But nobody in the relevant positions was willing to make a stand about it. You can find tons of youtubers talking about these issues and threads on forums and image boards, like this one, since at least 3 years about these topics regularly. Peterson is popular because he is an established professor with an actual good track record of successes in his field, acting as a mouth piece for these ideas that were (so far) ignored by the public and academia.

>Slavoj Zizek

My problem with Zizek is how trite and superficial some of his projects are.

His shit on Buddhism was mind-bogglingly weak and made me think that at best he skimmed some wikipedia articles.

Dude was getting basics wrong and couldn't recall the distinction between theravada and mahayana, but thinks he is leveling a serious criticism? What?!

>Peter Sloterdjik

HAHAHAHAHA, Peter "unironically a student of OSHO" Sloterdjik.

Harris is a scientism-materialist dogmatist.

I don't think that being transgender is an ideological thing at all. What people seem to want to do is deny that trans people exist, you have it backwards.

Transgenderism is a fetish mostly.

>Dismissing people on these grounds
Absolute pleb. What job does someone need to have for you to respect their educated opinions? What do YOU do, for that matter?

>being memed
What the FUCK is the alternative, user? Ignore the most widely influential thinkers? Fucking hell, I'm not that user who you're arguing with but you trigg'd me majorly with your exclusive-club-of-one fart-sniffing arrogance. You are a childish piece of shit who uses philosophy for virtue signalling even on an anonymous Spanish cactus-carving forum. Kys you deadshit cuntflap.

That's utter bullshit. There's people who would literally kill themselves than live as the gender they don't feel they are.

That gender is purely socially constructed and mental illness is an oppressive concept is ideological.

I agree with you. "He is a neuroscientist", "he is a psychologist", "they are REDDIT", arent arguments.

I have never heard of these guys (I am not American), but the debate about transexuals and pronouns reached my country and it bothers me, because being angry with how your language evolved through the centuries seems ridiculous to me. In fact it is worse in my country because my language has grammatic gender, so the reform would be more drastic than in English.
It is almost like enforcing some light sjw inspired language reform.

There are genderless languages btw, and these people unintentionally imply those languages are better/more progressive.

I also dont understand why feels matter so much. How you feel isnt valuable information, what matters is whether you are a male or a female. One is subjective, the other isnt. And only one is valuable information in the army, a hospital, a sports competition or the courtroom.

He is an intelligent, well-read man, who has figured out where he stands in his values and politics and does not have a problem speaking his ideas or where they came from.

For all these reasons, even if you disagree with him, he generously provides a huge amount of content of food for thought.

>his ability to totally shut down people in an argument
cringe. this is the kind of things philistines draw pleasure from. you only enjoy intellectual pursuits insofar as they operate like a sports game

It's not so much they're views as their limited intellectual acumen. I don't dislike Sam Harris because of what he believes in, even though I disagree, because some of that can be thought-provoking. I'm more annoyed by his trite attempts to criticise (and capitalise on his criticism of) things like religion. No problem with that, but he is not providing anything substantial. It is basically a vanity project.

why isn't he?
because he's famous?

Sam Harris is ideologically driven. Arguments are ideologically driven. Fuck off b8
>logic is good
>level-headedness is good
Ideologue

>why would a Christian be enraged by people who reduce Christianity to brainwashing, or worse, a Pascalian distraction

Ideological fetishes do that. Stop whining.

OP is clearly a faggot, but you are too. JP is a hack, just like Zizek, yet both a praised because this place has become reddit. You're all faggots.

Had the same realization. Sam Harris is a complete idiot, is insanely obsessed with his status/image, and is one of the most notable pseudointellectuals that I've ever come across.

if anyone doubts this, actually read one of his books. He's a complete fraud that's perpetuated the idea that he's a "calm, intelligent, rationalist".

What the fuck. I'm speechless.

I feel like this bait was crafted specifically for me.

Please tell me no-one seriously thinks Sloterdijk is a Marxist.