My girlfriend asked me to make her cheesecake for her birthday...

My girlfriend asked me to make her cheesecake for her birthday. I'm fine with cooking with a recipe but cheesecake is a bit daunting. Any tips for a cheesecake novice?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=owwo397xDm0
mybakerlady.com/2012/09/18/new-york-cheesecake/
youtube.com/watch?v=Pd6eUELWckU
gretchensbakery.com/new-york-style-vanilla-cheesecake/
youtube.com/watch?v=vq3r1M0eZBg
joyofbaking.com/Cheesecake.html
youtube.com/watch?v=3mrgS4pdXVs
youtube.com/watch?v=sVy8g_xx10k
amazon.com/dp/B000095RC5/
blog.thermoworks.com/2016/11/bake-perfect-cheesecake/
thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-instant-read-thermometer/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Buy already made pie crust and cheesecake mix. Either buy already made cheesecake filling or do it by the box. Fill already made crust. U have
Cheesecake.

Don't forget the sugar. That's what I did the first and only time I made cheese cake. It tasted ... hearty.

actually I did this a few birthdays back with a simple cake I made for her. Realized after two minutes in the oven and was able to salvage it

thanks but I'm deadset on making it from scratch

its just sour creme and cream cheese and and some egg and sugar. you bake it. if you don't have a springform pan you have to use a glass casserole pan. you can put lemon and vanilla into it, or whatever. blueberries or something. then put some other bullshit on it. the crust is just crushed gram crackers with butter and a little brown sugar.

Make a German cheesecake, use cottage cheese instead of quark. Forms it's own crust, not as sweet as a New York cheesecake. Super easy to make, just beat those kurds like an Ottoman sultan or you'll end up with little lumps.

Honestly, the only remotely hard part of making a New York cheesecake is the crust, which is a little annoying but not that hard. Buying a springform pan is the best thing you can do for making a cheesecake.

lucky you. I made flan once forgetting the sugar. didn't realize it till it was cooled but I couldn't eat it.

if you go the home made route. some recipes want you to cook it in a pan thats in a pan of very hot water. make sure you don't let any of that water in if your using a spring form pan. if your going to wrap the outside in foil. get two pieces of foil one on top of the other and put a couple folds at one of the long sides so it's wide enough to not just use a couple layers at different angles.
also cool it slowly like turn the oven off and let it cool in the oven or in the oven while slightly opened
also only use a graham cracker crust. I tried one with shortbread cookies instead and it was crap in my opinion.

pic related is one of my favorites, maple pumpkin cheesecake. the pecans in the glaze don't have to be candied. the glaze goes on after it and the cake is cooled. and don't cook this in a water bath just open the oven door slightly for a hour after the 1 1/4 hours cooking

Jizz in the mix. I would love it if a cute guy spooged on my cheesecake.

>12 years old
>mom comes home late from the city with a cheesecake from some famous patisserie
>get up in the middle of night
>find cake in fridge
>proceed to eat half the cake
>go back to sleep
>wake up in the morning covered in curdled cheesecake vomit

fuck cheesecake.

>eat half the cake
It's your own fault for being a gluttonous fat fuck.

The hardest part is mixing the cream cheese and eggs. Use a mixer, it's very tiring to do it by hand.

luckily there's methods that make it fairly foolproof. I know you can make it cook perfect by putting a tray of water in the oven when it's cooking to steam it - which prevents the top burning. Just find a good recipe and try it out

When it's done, turn the oven off and let it cool in there for a few hours. Otherwise, it'll crack.

>letting a woman make demands of you and then actually going out of your way to follow them
You gonna suck her dick after she eats that cake?

1/2
If you need a basic reliable NY recipe or just some walkthroughs for the process with tips built-in, I recommend ATK, Gretchen's bakery, and Joy of Baking's recipes:
youtube.com/watch?v=owwo397xDm0
mybakerlady.com/2012/09/18/new-york-cheesecake/

youtube.com/watch?v=Pd6eUELWckU
gretchensbakery.com/new-york-style-vanilla-cheesecake/

youtube.com/watch?v=vq3r1M0eZBg
joyofbaking.com/Cheesecake.html

Thomas Joseph is also good here: youtube.com/watch?v=3mrgS4pdXVs

Regardless of what recipe you follow, here are a few tips that are fairly universal:
1. You want your filling ingredients (cream cheese, eggs, etc.) all at room temperature.so that they mix together easily. If your cream cheese is a cold block it will take a lot of agitation to fully incorporate it into the mixture which will whip air into the cake killing the seductively dense texture of cake. Like other low & no-flour baked desserts texture is paramount here, arguably even more so than flavor.
2. Related to #1 incorporate each ingredient in stages (one egg at a time, introduce the sugar in slowly or by thirds) so the beater has less work to perform and spends less time getting each part mixed. Again the point is prevent over-mixing the batter.
3. After baking resist the urge to put the cheesecake into the fridge until it is dead room temperature (this WILL take hours). You do not want the cheesecake to experience sudden temperature shifts.

2/2
4. If you want clean edges and a guarantee that the spring-form pan wrapped in foil won't leak in the waterbath causing a soggy crust, then I actually HIGHLY RECOMMEND you skip it altogether and use the regular baking pan method Gretchen's Bakery demonstrated above. Essentially you bake it like a normal cake with a butter/flour lubed parchment on the bottom then after you take it out of the fridge either blowtorch all around it or submerge it hot water for 30 second to melt the fats on the sides. Run a butter around the outside, and it will slip inverted out onto a plate then re-invert it right-side up onto your serving plate or cake stand.
5. Once in the fridge, chilling at least 8 hours (overnight) is best. Then letting the cake set out at room temperature to slightly warm for 30 minutes before serving softens the interior creating a smoother texture and flavor without compromising it's structure. The cooler and firmer it is however, the cleaner the slice cuts will be so you may want to pre-portion/cut slices when you first take it out and then let warm up for eating.

Those are tips for a good cheesecake, but these are the things necessary for an outstanding one:
I don't know how long it is until her birthday OP, but if don't already have them get both an oven thermometer and instant-read one.
I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH HOW ESSENTIAL they are more perfect cheesecake.
1. My own oven's readout is 20°F off what it actually is inside after measuring it with my oven thermometer. Cheesecakes are meant to be baked low and slow at 325°F or less. Yours can have as much as a 50° drift in either direction, which can and will result in over-baking and a dry chalky cheesecake (from too much heat if it runs hot or too long of exposure if it runs cool). The best tested one is $8 (that I own) on Amazon:
youtube.com/watch?v=sVy8g_xx10k
amazon.com/dp/B000095RC5/

One last bit:
2. More important that an oven thermometer is an instant read probe thermometer because the cheesecake absolutely must be pulled out looking raw and jiggly in the center (remember it takes hours to dissipate all of it's accumulated heat so it will carryover bake more in the process). You really can't tell when it's time to pull it based on looks or touches. Moreover your target internal temperature at the center is 150-155°F, anything at 160°F causes the egg proteins to essentially scramble and lose moisture so you have a very little safety margin between perfect and overdone.
blog.thermoworks.com/2016/11/bake-perfect-cheesecake/
One of the best inexpensive models (which again I own and use) is the Thermopop for $25-30:
thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-instant-read-thermometer/
I don't mean to sound like such a shill here but temperature control is so crucial to texture and prevent your top from cracking with how fickle cheesecakes are. Good luck OP.

make sure you smooth out the cream cheese before adding the eggs or you end up with chunky bits

>use cottage cheese instead of quark.
>beat those kurds like an Ottoman sultan

When doing the topping (in this example i'm going for a strawberry jelly) try adding the strawberries to a glass of water and sugar, then let it boil while you keep mixing (don't stop, or else it'll burn), until it gets thick, or, if you have one of those bread machines, just put everything in and press the "jelly" function.
Also, be really careful to not burn anything, because it's a recipe with lots of sugar it's easy to burn everything if you don't pay attention.

I do not believe you have a girlfriend. Go out and buy one from the store, and enjoy your hand.

you too

L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N

Does her son like cheesecake too?