Give me 10 good reasons why I should major on Chemistry instead of Physics

Give me 10 good reasons why I should major on Chemistry instead of Physics.

Chemistry and Physics are second majors. There's not enough meat on them to be your first major.

You will see Quantum Mechanics & Thermodynamics in both Majors.

In Chemistry you will see ready the real life applications.

If you wanna create another useful chemical compund go to Chemistry.

Pick Physics if your dream is to discover a Groundbreaking theory as Newton & Einstein

Chemistry will require more memorization (kinda useless now when we have computers)

Physics will require more advanced math.
But Physical Chemistry still math intensive though.

That's a start, now rewrite without the reddit spacing and I'll read it.

But don't they both study atoms and what's inside them?

Go for chem for a broader approach to science. I got my undergrad in chemistry and ended up doing physics for my masters, in the end all of my classmates had gone to the fields that were more interesting to them; some went to bio, some computational chem, electrochem, theoretical physics. So in the end you'll end up in a field that interest you.

if you aren't sure you want to go to grad school, pick physics. the math skills are much more widely applicable and employable. the chemistry-specific stuff you learn is marketable only for chemistry jobs, it's mostly synthetic organic chemistry.

>But don't they both study atoms and what's inside them?
Yes they both study Atomic & Molecular Physics, Solid State Physics & Nanotechnology

But Physics also study Relativity, Electromagnetism, Classical Mechanics, String Theory.

While Chemists study other things such as Organic Chemistry, Bio Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, etc Courses which the Physicists don't take.

Because chemistry is the central science.

Chemistry majors get jobs in their field, Physics majors go back to high school to teach.

I thought you also study Classical Mechanics, Thermodynamics, Electromagnetism and Relativity as Physics I, II, III and IV respectively during a normal Chemistry course.

*Upper division Classical Mechanics [math]\neq[/math] Physics 1
*Upper division Statistical Mechanics [math]\neq[/math] Physics 2
*Upper division Electrodynamics [math]\neq[/math] Physics 3
*Upper division General Relativity [math]\neq[/math] Physics 4

You should major in chemical engineering.

I'm not gay to be an engineer!

Does chemical engineer have better job prospects then chemistry or is it just as over saturated as chemistry?

You get statistical mech if you opt for statistical thermodynamics. Electrodynamics if you go for electrical properties of solids in solid state chem. You get classical mechanics if you go for molecular simulation. And you get general relativity if you go for computational chemistry. But yeah you never study them all nor until you go to grad school or senior year undergrad.

They get better job offers doing NOT chemistry. But yeah they're somehow more employable.

Not true. A PhD in Chemistry can do any chemical engineering job.

Not really. Physicists are not very concerned with molecules. Chemists are mostly concerned with pushing electrons around.

Maybe but having to get a PhD in chemistry just to compete with a bachelors in chemical engineering is pretty darn sad.

If you're planning on going into research you'd need a PhD anyway. All I'm saying is that you can get jobs, including the ones you'd be able to get as chemE if you want to be a chemist.

Why would you go in to research if you chose chemical engineering? Also just because you can do any job with a chemistry PhD as a chemical engineer doesn't mean you'd get hired for one.

You probably wouldn't, but OP was looking for reasons to be a chemist.

Then it's probably a negative that you need a PhD to get hired

You don't know what he wants to do, I assume at least that most people who want to go into a field such as chemistry or physics want to actually do research in the field or they'd already consider something like engineering. The point was simply that there ARE jobs if you felt you didn't want to do research anymore, since you or someone else said there are no chem jobs.

Chemistry always strikes me as something soul-sucking, is this true?

Yeah but in a good way

this x1000
you've got to love it
although this is probably true for all "real" sciences