Just four forces govern this universe

>just four forces govern this universe

How can you be so sure?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_force
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quintessence_(physics)
youtube.com/watch?v=Gg9nzOFVwtQ
youtube.com/watch?v=I_63gVt7WUk
scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/FifthForce.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_force#Extra_dimensions
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukawa_force
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

becuz you touch yourself at nite heh.

This is the type of threads that are killing Veeky Forums. Honestly, the /pol/ threads are recognizable and tend to just get passed by. These threads that ask stupid open end questions, specifically to encite argument are much worse for the board. In short, we are sure because these are the observable and testable forces that we expierience every day. However, no one says they are the 'only' forces in the universe, because anyone who isn't a Veeky Forumstier brainlet understands that technology and science are advancing everyday and to say anything in science is 100% undeniably true, doesn't actually understand science. Science is the act of disproving, not proving.

Electroweak, look it up.

Nice picture though.

Belarus and Ukraine?

Is there a non retarded Veeky Forums's Veeky Forums alternative?

physics stack exchange or some shit, probably some godforsaken IRC channels and Usenet groups.

Honestly I already talk enough about serious stuff with my colleagues, I come here for dumb entertainment.

As long as you can wade through the bullshit it's not bad. The problem comes from the anonymity, but it's also what makes site so great. There are intelligent people here, and I'd say the majority are your every day run of the mill people. But when you get a free pass to act like a retard without consequences, it perpetuates the behavior. C'est la vie. I hate most of you stupid fuckers, but I know IRL there's only a few people here who I couldn't sit down and have a drink with.

Coming from a non-physics major, it's not as bad of a question as you make it out to be. But that being said, your response was not that bad too, despite how assblasted you seem.

Honestly, it's not something I like to admit. But I am one of those losers who spends close to a quarter of my life on Veeky Forums. I work a grave yard shift 10 hours a day, 7 days bi weekly. I spend in all seriousness close to 6 or 7 hours browsing Veeky Forums every night for a week straight. I soend more time on Veeky Forums then a lot of people do at their jobs. It gets tiring seeing the same old threads over and over again. I like coming here, as stated here but I have come to hate a large percentage of the shit I see here. It wouldn't be bad if they were good trolls. But the fact that I have to scroll past some 100 IQ threads on Veeky Forums, 150 what could Hitler have don't different to win threads on Veeky Forums and 500 race bait threads every other week is exhausting. I just want people to discuss stuff intelligently, even if you're trolling. I had a guy argue with me for an hour claiming the earth was a torus, he had evidence and a counter to everything I asked him. Then after an hour of leading me on, he told me he was trolling. I enjoyed the fuck out of that. It was fun, it was intellucally stimulating, he argued with me with evidence that of course was false, but made rational sense. Either way, my point is. It's sad the lack of effort people put into things now a days. Even their hobbies, because admit it. You all browse this as a form of entertainment as well.

>physics stack exchange
a site where no discussion is allowed and people just answer homework questions as an alternative of a discussion site where homework isn't allowed
nice.

>How can you be so sure?
Why the hell do you think people are sure? the only reason there arnt more listed is because we have no evidence of another one, there are tons of posible 5th forces that are researched if you bothered to do even a bit of research.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_force
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quintessence_(physics)

They forgot:
(1) meme magic
(2) star wars force
(3) forced meme's force

Is dark matter / dark energy the 5th force?

youtube.com/watch?v=Gg9nzOFVwtQ

youtube.com/watch?v=I_63gVt7WUk

Belarus strong. Ukraine weak

And you only see two of them.

The Weak fear the Strong (force)

the weak should fear the strong

The first thing we learn about the weak interaction from Wiki is that it is mediated by W and Z bosons. So we take that link to discover that bosons are mediating particles with huge masses, “heavier than entire atoms of iron.” The W boson is the mediator in beta decay, and its entire job is in facilitating the reversal of a quark. This reversal is called a flavor change, because the quark goes from being a down quark to being an up quark.

d → u + W-

But why would we need a boson the size of an iron atom to flip a quark over? I don’t think anyone has ever bothered to ask that question. The mass of a quark is said to be about 4MeV; and of a W boson, about 80GeV. So the mediating particle outweighs the mediated particle by 20,000 to 1. That is like using an atomic bomb to flip your mattress. A tad more force than the job calls for. We will call that red flag number 1.

The W then decays into an electron and an antineutrino.

W- → e + v

I keep looking at that decay and saying to myself, “AND!” Since the neutrino is said to weigh nothing and the electron weighs .5MeV, we have a slight imbalance here. That decay is not intended to be an equation, but still. We have a huge amount of energy coming from nowhere and then disappearing into nothing. We will call that red flag number 2.

Then we get a section on “predicting the W and Z.” Glashow, Weinberg, and Salam “predicted” them using an SU(2) gauge theory, but the bosons in a gauge theory must be massless. We must assume that the masses of the W and Z were “predicted” in some other way, then, since the gauge theory predicted zero masses. Wiki does not address this problem, but maybe we can clear it up later when we study the texts. Wiki only tells us that the symmetry of the gauge theory must be broken, to give the bosons mass, and that the Higgs mechanism does this job. So we take that link.

(1 of 3)

What we find is that the Higgs mechanism is a form of spontaneous symmetry breaking. What is spontaneous symmetry breaking? It is symmetry that is broken spontaneously. Something that happens spontaneously requires no mechanism, so the Higgs mechanism is a mechanism with no mechanism. In other words, the SU(2) problem is solved by calling it a symmetry, breaking it without a mechanism, and then calling that breaking a Higgs mechanism. That is red flag number four.

Wiki tells us that “the evidence for the Higgs mechanism is overwhelming,” but this evidence turns out to be evidence that particles near the predicted W and Z masses exist. So, we are to understand that because big particles exist for very short times, this means the SU(2) gauge theory can’t be correct in predicting zero masses. And this means that the gauge symmetry must be broken, which means that the theory must be correct.

That is so circular it is dizzying. All the fake Higgs mechanism does is allow you to break something you wanted to break, without having to give a mechanical reason for the breaking. It allows you to fudge your math while giving a fancy name to the fudging. But if your gauge theory requires you bypass it with a symmetry breaking, it could and probably does mean that your gauge theory isn’t any good to start with. Normally, if you develop equations that yield false predictions—like these zero boson masses—you must ditch the math. You don’t get to nail some jerry-rigged post hoc correction to it, in the form of a non-mechanical “field mechanism.”

(2 of 3)

There can be no evidence for the Higgs mechanism, since, as I just showed, the Higgs mechanism is not a mechanism. It is a spontaneous symmetry breaking, and you cannot have evidence for something that is spontaneous. All you do is say, “It happened, I had a theory for it, therefore I must be right.” It is strictly equivalent to saying, “I predict the Sun will rise tomorrow [after seeing the Sun rise everyday of your life], and I hypothesize that the reason it will rise is that it is filled with helium.” When it rises, you jump up with joy and claim that the evidence for your theory is overwhelming, since the Sun came up just as you predicted. Don’t you see that what these “physicists” have done is develop a math that doesn’t work, then said, “I predict that this math is broken and needs a fix. The fix is a spontaneously broken symmetry. Aha, here is a spontaneously broken symmetry that allows me to fix my math to any degree I want. So I must be right!”

Unfortunately, Mr. Higgs also predicted another particle, the Higgs boson. Glashow, Weinberg, and Salam probably would have preferred he hadn’t done that, since it requires another round of fudging, but these guys are good at making lemonade. They know that the odds are good that another big super-meson will be found, given enough energy in the accelerator, so they just bide their time. When a big particle is found, they can claim it. This time they are careful not to be too precise in their mass prediction, so that they can claim over a wide range of masses. Another benefit is that these particle accelerators employ a lot of physicists. So if the search is spun out another decade or two, so much the better.

(3 of 3)

/thread

OP is asking in a very smug way. It's so clear that he's just trolling us or just plain stupid, as the above user mentioned.

>youtube.com/watch?v=I_63gVt7WUk
so much fagottry, who made this vid, I could rate him 10 sins for every sin he lists

scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/FifthForce.html

What if there's millions of forces but they get exponentially weaker?

The Yukawa Force

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_force#Extra_dimensions

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yukawa_force

Discovered by the Japanese Physicist Hideki Yukawa.
The 1st Japanese to win a Nobel Prize in Physics.

are you happy of being so much time on Veeky Forums?

Top left is wrong it shoul be R mu nu and not G mu nu