Welcome to the Veeky Forums challenge: MEXICAN INSPIRED!

Welcome to the Veeky Forums challenge: MEXICAN INSPIRED!
>Thread 2

>JUST IN TIME FOR DIAS DE LOS MUERTOS

That's right: MEXICAN INSPIRED.
What does that mean? Well, if you can't figure this shit out you should probably stay away from the knives.

Dishes will be scored on the following areas, so keep that in mind.

-Presentation: The appearance of items on the plate; plating skills
-Originality: Creativity in composing the dish
-Appeal: How appetizing the food looks/whether or not the dish appeals to your personal taste as a voter
-Challenge Goals: How closely the entry followed the challenge goal(s)

The distinction between Presentation and Appeal: If someone submits an artfully arranged but burnt steak as an entry, it may score high in Presentation but low in appeal.

Remember people, timestamp and unique identifiers. Stop forgetting damn you.

Please suggest as you go, 'cos I'm gathering suggestions like some sort of hoarder.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zvZqSCxx4XY
youtube.com/watch?v=SckD99B51IA
youtu.be/aoO9iFamHaA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nigga this archiving shit's bad. Bump these fucking thread you keks cuz we're all gonna miss out.

Bumperino

Well, if people weren't making 20 fucking threads about some McDonalds memesauce then maybe this thread with actual content would need bumping every 5 minutes. All this redditposting is so importing and essential to a food board and shouldn't just fuck off to /b/ or reddit or something.

I will post my entry when I get off work, also bump

:(
I cooked chicken enchiladas for lunch but didn't snap any pictures because this thread wasn't up before I started cooking. And I doubt anyone wants to see pictures of the leftovers.
Well... guess I'll do another semimexi thing sometime in the next week or so and post that. Maybe Chamorro food, as was talked about last thread since it's all Mexican inspired anyway.

I made box/kit enchiladas today because I live in the UK now and the state of mexican food here is miserable

I'm gonna make some epic shit for the challenge though (hopefully), just you wait

I'll probably try to make a mole of some sort for this one. Fwiw I was clothespin in the berry thread with the blueberry chipotle bbq'd ribs and was doing pretty well in the rankings until some sperge slapped me with a low rank. Kind of turned me off of it for a couple months.

BUMP so this dosent get archived

Missed last month's, but I'm pretty hype for this

Bought some mole ingredients & have my steak marinating now. Still not sure how I where I want to go with this but I'm looking forward to the ride

That sounds pretty dope, would love to check out the recipe. I made blueberry-bourbon duck breast a couple challenges back - went over pretty well but it's definitely a polarizing ingredient

>getting this triggered about someone's opinion on Veeky Forums
ISHYGDDT

this is my version of a mexican INSPIRED pizza, I call it pizza de trompo

I made everything but the cheese from scratch

its a detroit style deep dish with mozz, al pastor (w/ muy authentico marinade recipe), grilled pineapple, sauteed red onion, a homemade roasted poblano/jalapeno/avocado ranch, topped with a bit of soap plant

i expect a lot of hates on my meme pizza and for entering a pizza in general but it was delicious and one of my top 3 pizzas ive ever had

heres one with a time stamp

ill post a infograph later maybe

my identifier is the techno cat statue

here it is just out of the oven too cuz fuck yo couch

Thanks for the entry!
Good to have you on board!

I might be out of commission for a while, mental trubbs. The ambulance is on the way.
Someone please keep the contest going if it gets archived.
Sorry.

mental trubs dubs, gl

Enjoy the hospital food ya dingus

Well I'm getting out now, so I dodged that bullet. I'll be around forever!
Thanks for the kind words, bbs.

And a bump for you and you and you as well.

Bump

Bump.

And now give it the good ol' bumpa-bumpa, yknowwha'I'msayin'?

Ugh.

A festive bump from three thousand leagues beneath the surface of the ocean.

Bump.

Another nourishing farm-fresh bump.

FUCKING BUMP FUCK

Bump.

I NEED a hot gril to post her feet here.

Holy shit, this looks amazing. So this is what the dough was for...

I think we'd get along, al pastor is my fav

recipe for al pastor and/or ranch?

Good to hear man. We love you, hope you're OK

silly boys XD

thx m8, ill try to do an infograph over the weekend but i used rick bayless' al pastor recipe and tweaked it a bit with some dried chilis

also kitter bump

Bump.

where the fug are the entries, all we got is some 'go 'za by some cat faggot

Bump

Where's your entry?

I made my entry, just gotta put together the pictures, will probably do it this weekend.

Thanks in advance m81!

Don't worry, the entries will come.

Gonna take a dump here with some OC from last month. Think I got 2 replies! Not too shabby.

Chili Verde!
Starting at 9 o' clock:
Yukon potato
Onion
Tomatillo
Pork leftovers (sous vide pork belly & fried pork ribs)
Serrano, jalapeno, and poblano peppers
Lime in the middle

Off camera:
Spices
Chicken stock

Roast and skin the peppers.

I was using my torch to burn the skin. It works; it burns the skin. But really when you're roasting peppers you're cooking them as well. Also the skin doesn't slough off as all with a torch. Took them out to the grill and did it the normal way. Torch is great for toasting dried peppers, though.

I forgot to mention cilantro. I will do that now:
Cilantro.

vroom!

I realize that I forgot to mention garlic as well. Sorry, garlic.

I seared the pork after cubing it.
See?

Toasted the spices and stuff.
Dried orange peel
Red pepper flakes for some reason (?)
Cumin
Oregano

FUUUCCCKKKING GOD DAMMMMMMMMMIT!!!!!!

youtube.com/watch?v=zvZqSCxx4XY
Inspirational music.

Carefully plop the blended mixture into the pot. It looks like the chicken stock was still a bit frozen.

Budadoes.

The pork was already tender as a shy boy buddhist so I didn't need to stew it.

>a shy boy buddhist
's heart
Sorry.

Anyhow, I saved a bit of the blended stuff to add at the end. A trick I picked up somewhere. I think from the gook at the gook market, regarding Thai curries. The idea is that, if you are not picking it up, is that you get some flavors from the cooked vegetal and also different flavors from the raw veg.
Also, I would like to ask what my upstairs neighbor is doing. Does anyone know? It sounds like he is on a six foot ladder, dropping really large extension cords onto his floor ( my ceiling).

Goodnight, Freddie Prinze.
Rest in RIP.

youtube.com/watch?v=SckD99B51IA

Bumping

A bump with info that I am going to peruse the fuck out of tonight.
Gotta do something with all that time I'm spending not drinking.

Bump

Another sober bump.

Looks like I'm gonna be making my entry this Sunday.
Wish me luck. And if anyone knows of any commercially available product for the permanent removal of famous opera singers, please let me know. I've got a bad opera singer infestation here and I need to be rid of it ASAP.

>Think I got 2 replies! Not too shabby.
Can you at least notice me, sense pie?
Am I that aweful? Am I un-relateable? Insignificant?
Do we need to bond?
Would it help if I mentioned that I went off cymbalta 3 weeks ago? Not dizzy anymore.
Are you mad at me?

Veeky Forums, you win. You broke me.
KYS.
I'll continue with my own plans.

wtf is going on in here desu

Sorry 'bout your opera troubles.
Good luck with the entry.
I noticed you, never worry aboot that.

Your guess is probably better than mine, CounterCat.

Bump

Another bump, this one fueled by Mouthwash!
Mouthwash, the drink of choice for people who drink mouthwash!

MOUTHWASH, THE DRINK OF SELF LOATHING DRUNKS!
WOO
WOO
WOO

Expect my entry in about 14 hours. Keep this shit bumped till then.

Will do, Shake-iro!

youtu.be/aoO9iFamHaA

Bump
Looking forward to the pizza and sauce recipe!

Bump.
I'm also looking forward to a recipe of some sort.

Another bump, for the glory of the Murder/k/ube!

Yet another bump for Veeky Forums!
There's an idea for a theme, cross board dishes!

Hopefully getting some ingredients for this tomorrow or the day after. I hope I can find what I'm looking for since it may be a bit difficult to find where I am.

is there a rule about updating my submission? plan to remake the whole thing today but take better pics

I lied. May have to do it tonight. Not feeling too great. ):

As long as you have the Unique Identifier and make it clear that it overwrites your previous entry, go nuts.

Don't give up, the universe loves you.

Hope you're feeling better, shaky bb.
I wub roo.

i'll throw ya a bump

You can't be serious.?

bump

Time for my entry, tamale pie. It was a bitch to make, because Mexican ingredients aren't very common in Europe. Couldn't find lard so had to use butter. In the end, it turned out pretty good, could've used a thinner crust and more filling though, but it was nice with some salsa. It looks nice at least. Served with the greatest authentic Mexican beer (that was made in France).

And of course, my vertical showing how I did it, and some instructions if you think you can do it better.

I would eat this so hard

Thanks for the entry!

Bump

Thanks for the bump!

Mother. Of. FUCK.
That's what I was gonna make, too. Guess it's a good thing I wasn't well enough to cobble it together, then, because after seeing this, I went in a wholly new direction. It's been prepared. Pics have been taken. Just need to edit and I'll have it up.
Will post soon.

How long does a Veeky Forums challenge last? I want to enter but I have too many leftovers to justify cooking another dish tonight.

This month's entries stop at 12:00 am on the 25th of October.
Looking forward to what you may or may not make!

I'm gonna give another go at "dos reflexiones de huevos frescos". I came up with the name myself; it's a Mexican take on Eggs Benedict. No bully.

1) Red chilli.
2) Chopped.
3) Onion.
4) Also chopped.
5) Lime.
6) Zested.
7) Halved and juiced.
8) Prawn. (not show: coriander leaves and prawn salt*)
9) Flour, bicarb and salt mixed with coconut milk. (not shown: a dash of vinegar, to react with the bicarb for a bit of lift)
10) Mixed.
11) Divided.
12) Rolled.
13) "Baking."
14) Other side.
15) Cucumber, carrot and radish shreds.
16) Prawn after marinating in the lime juice with the chilli, onion, coriander, prawn salt and zest.

Prawn ceviche with coconut tortillas and mixed veg slaw.

>*not sure the word in English; salted baby prawns that are dried out then ground into powder, used to enhance the flavour of seafood dishes

Second picturemuhbob in case the first one looks bad.

I love eggs benedict. What will make it Mexican eggs bennies, though?

Alright, after toying around a bit: lamb loin with mole & yucca salad.

Lamb was seasoned with...
>salt
>marjoram
>thyme
>cumin
>coriander
Rubbed down and left to marinate overnight, brought to room temp & into the oven for roasting

Mole contains...
>guajillos
>pasillos
>chipotles
>dried apricots
>dried figs
>raisin
>toasted almonds
>toasted pumpkin seeds
>cinnamon
>cloves
>bay leaves
>dash of marjoram
>garlic
>tomatillos
>romas
>shallots
>3oz chocolate
>chicken broth

The salad consists of...
>yucca
>cactus pear
>1 serrano
>1 bell pepper
>cilantro
>cucumber
Dressed lightly with...
>lime juice
>cactus pear juice
>salt
>pepper
>cumin

And the cocktail--
>mezcal
>cactus pear juice
>lime juice

I had a lot of fun with this - was not looking forward to prepping the mole but the effort paid off. Would make again (although maybe not on a Monday....)

Thanks for the entry!

Why don't you let things touch? Have a touch of the 'tism?

Thanks for the entry!

A bit of the ol' bumparoo

Bump