Stack thread. Recent purchases

Stack thread. Recent purchases.

>Tfw 1899 book about the Boer War for $5 at the bottom
>some dead guy's thot daughter probably gave it awat without even thinking twice
>spine is in mint condition

People truly are retards.

>find large French book published in 1874 with amazing illustrations about the Franco-German war
>ask how much it costs, expecting € 100 +
>'5 euro should do'

stupid fucking cunt had no idea

The only good book in that stack is The Art of the Deal

weak bait

Just got this

>Spine is in mint condition

You don't know what mint means do you?

reading federalist and anti fed papers back to back will be an interesting experiment.

i hope your arthurian editions have good supplementary material because those stories have a lot that is easy to misunderstand. definitely read the footnotes as you go.

read wuthering heights and rommel simultaneously and then write a short story when youre done, i want to see where that combination takes a mans mind

A book's age doesn't guarantee any particular value

Got the following in the post:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes novels two and three-Yoshiki Tanaka

Getting the following at the end of the month when I get paid.
The Tunnel-William H Gass
Woman in the Dunes-Kobo Abe
The Face of Another-Kobo Abe
The Nix-Nathan Hill

Was considering getting a Strutgatsky novel too, no idea if it should be Hard to be a God or Roadside Picnic.

post pics

also the war was with prussia... germany unified after victory

Got the upper ones today.
Those are:
>The lawful revolution: Louis Kossuth and the Hungarians 1848-49
>Memoirs of Montgomery
>Knights of the cross by Sienkiewicz

The ones on the bottom picture are slightly older, but still recent. Didn't get them on the same day
>Excrepts from Kierkegaard's works
>Beyond Good and Evil + Notes Got this as a gift
>Volumes 13-14 of the Evangelion manga

r8?

Got 4 books for 4 dollars. I got Robinson Crusoe two people recommended it to me on here. I got some Plato because of the "start with the Greeks" meme. I got Siddharta because this board seemed to be a fan of it, and it looks pretty short. And I bought Lord of the Flies because I remember liking it in high school.

>spine is in mint condition

Doesn't look like it

>I got Robinson Crusoe two people recommended it to me on here
you're welcome

Should have got the Cátedra editions for Rulfo brah

kek
Thanks senpai. It looks interesting.

All the pages are well held together and not cracking. What looks bad? Maybe I exaggerated "mint"?

I think penguins come with supplementary materials.

I would like to write but I'm bad at making stories.

Well they were both gifts so I really had no choice, but if I like the book i'll consider getting a nicer edition. Is cátedra the best one out there?

#
Also this. It's over 100 years old, got it for $5.

Spent about $30 for the lot ($12 for the Chaucer, $2.50 for the Steinbeck $9 for the Lewis).

I'm surprised you found a hand-me-down Siddhartha. But then again I was surprised my local book store had it in stock when I looked for it. It's a simple, peaceful read that's basically cover to cover insight for all ages. Wonderful book. I'm also jealous you found lord of the flies used. I want it but I don't want it new.

Pretty cool, I'd hold onto that. Unless it's in good condition. Then sell the fuck out of it.

Yeah, I was surprised to see Siddhartha at the library book store, because I've only ever heard of it on this board so I thought it was more obscure.

I'm surprised you can't find a used copy of Lord of the Flies though. The store I was in had at least three of them. But maybe that's just because high schools around here require students to read the book for class.

I'm honestly surprised too. Did some poking around goodwill today, since school for let out, and I saw Huckfin, Tom's Cabin, Christmas Carol (nowhere near a hundred years old), To Kill a Mockingbird (I wish I would've grabbed at least that), and The Wind in The Willows. All were a buck but I only had 3 on me and a guy's gotta eat.

I love Kierkegaard and EVA is GOAT so you have my praise, user.

Got them last friday.
What should I read next? Already devoured the 2 at the top

Rommel's book seems very interesting.
Great books, hope you enjoy Rulfo, and as other user mentioned, Cátedra is a fantastic publisher, more so for the foreword or essay at the beginning.
Knights of the Cross is great, Eva and Kierkegaard is such a comfy duo.
Nice cop user, Defoe is fun to read and I personally prefer other Hesse books but I think this is a nice start.
Good deal, have you read Lewis before? I'm curious about him

bump

Post exam reading starting tomorrow

Old books are basically a diamond dozen. I have a bunch of 19th century/early 20th century books, none of which cost me more than 15 bucks. One thing that I do love about old books is the high quality and sturdiness of the materials and binding, new hardcovers never come close.

Siddhartha was required reading at my high school so I imagine it's on a lot of high school syllabuses in the US, hence it ending up in used bookstores.

about $24 total

just noticed the book under 'Flashbacks in Film' is obscured
it's "Japanese Documentary Film: The Meiji Era Through Hiroshima" by Abe Mark Nornes

It's "a dime a dozen", implying they are worth less than a penny.

Why does everyone have the same Mythology book? Is it really that good?

Also, nice digits.

Honestly it's not that good. At least literally not worth any money, just download a PDF or something. The first few pages serve as a good introduction to the gods with a few good insights on the differences between Greek and Roman writers etc., but much of the book is just summaries of works by Aeschylus and such that you should read in their entirety instead. And let's be honest, if a reference does come up in a work you're not familiar with, you're most likely gonna use Google-fu instead of referencing the book. If you still want a proper introduction, read a primary source like The Library of Greek Mythology by Apollodorus

it's a standard introduction to the subject
but nothing in it can't be garnered through wikipedia

Just came back from the bookstore, the collection by Harlan Ellison, A Princess of Mars, and the book on pirates (The Devil's Anarchy) I bought today. Gonna start UBIK (reread) once I'm finished Desolation Angels. Also reading The Illuminatus! Trilogy and A Long Strange Trip, which will take considerably longer to read.

What is Antik och Nyantik about? Just curious - can't find anything online

Fucking embarrassing

Rate my stack.

Reupload of last month's stack.

This is a joke right?

No, why?

Nice Balzac edition and Kundera ends up being many people favorite author, hope you like his style

> he expects books to have a higher monetary value than the paper and ink it's printed on, matching its literary value

Top kek. Both of these books are available somewhere on the internet for free and can be copied and distributed a million times over in seconds for free. Literary value no longer has a price in this day and age. If you unironically pay for a book based on its contents and not just the physical value of the paper and ink, you are a chump

Genre fiction reader detected.

t. Chump who probably paid 100 euros for some book available online as a PDF after a five second google search

I've seen different used copies of Lord of the Flies at a local thrift store like 4 times in the last 6 months. I want it but can't make myself choose it over Sci-fi and fantasy I want.

My holy grail right now is finding a copy of "How to Read a Book" by Mortimer J. Adler. I have a PDF and MP3 audio book but its not the same as having a physical copy.

to me, the only redeeming choices are Heidegger, preacher and Neruda, but if you bought the spanish edition of HP why not reading Neruda in spanish?

It's in decent condition, but I doubt it's worth anything. The store where I purchased it also deals in some relatively rare and expensive books (highest price tag I've seen was less than $1000, but still), so I think they'd know it was worth something. There's also something written it in below a picture of Dickens (that I can't decipher, and I'm not home so I can't share a pic at the moment) which would probably reduce any value anyway.

I've only read Babbitt, but I thought very highly of it, so I'm looking forward to reading more of his.

My reading level in Spanish is still very low, hence the kid-lit as I build up vocabulary.

I'm surprised Heidegger gets a pass, but the Poerksen, Rosen, and Cooper don't. They're all part of the Heideggerian or Hegelian traditions.

Rate

A big ol pile of crap, but at least you'll be up to date with all those Tv show adaptations

Never thought I'd say this, but there's literally only 1 good book out of that entire bunch and it's probably Baudrillard. Waugh and Austen are passable but they just don't have what it takes to write a real masterpiece

Serious dog shit. Waugh and Wharton only saving grace. Might I suggest kys yourself.

>90% shitty American po-mo.

Weak b8.

>weak bait
>still gets four replies
Go die in a ditch the lot of you.

Yes it's a joke spelling.

Translates to 'Classicism and Neo-Classicism' (antik = antiquity). It's a collection of essays on the subjects by an art historian named Harald Brising, published in 1921.

The picture with the writing beneath it. Can anyone tell me what it says?

It's his signature (cf. Wikipedia)

Been waiting about a month for a bookdepository order to come. At this point I'm pretty sure it's not coming, because I've never had an order from them take anywhere near this long before.

Why is the second volume of your Le Morte D'Arthur so shiny?

Provolone new

>Harry Potter

I've ordered a lot through them in the past. Two weeks max has been my longest wait. They're typically very efficient. If you're past the month mark now I'd prepare for the worst. Sorry, bro.

For those of you actively looking for used copies of books:

Why?

Do you just like the aged look? Or because it looks as though you've read the book several times to an outsider?

I only buy physical books if they're under $5, which are usually second hand copies. Otherwise I download on my kindle (however, im really lazy about charging the things).

I think you're misconstruing the point. Personally, I keep an eye out for older books because of their often superior material and textual feel, or because it is a discontinued book, and these will obviously often/always have been 'used' (even though you might be able to find something in mint condition in an antiquarian shop). I also look for 'used' copies because they're fucking cheap, but I'm not blind to their condition so I won't take in something with scribblings and highlighter colours all over. On the other hand I also keep a few books around for the novelty, like a 1934 German dictionary of 'winged words', published in Leipzig and after the 'Machtergreifung', so the editor also explains why the German cultural heritage has been 'purified' of some but not all Jewish sayings.
In reality I rarely get any new books because they're expensive and because I've hit the mother lode several times with used books.

Please get back to us when you've read "Can Non-Europeans Think?"

I'd also like to know

Good shit ITT. Anyone got some good recommendations?

Looking for biographies and nonfiction

Zweig's autobiography if you're into literature, he paints a great picture of early 20th century Viennese/European society including life as an exile. He also wrote very pleasant biographies of Balzac and Marie Antoinette.
Klaus Mann's Turning Point (also an autobiography) if you like the WWII setting and depressing stuff.

Both Zweig and Mann brush shoulders with so many historic/literary personalities it's ridiculous, e.g Zweig was very active in the Vienna coffee house frequented by Hoffmanstahl and the like, was best buds with Rilke, also met Joyce in exile; Mann meets Hitler in a cafe, also uses military role to have a talk with Richard Strauss in the ruins of post-war Germany.

It's all about the price.
And a lot of the things I am looking for are out of print and an english copy is expensive to get.
t.regular foreign poster

>learning languages with kid-"lit" is bad

>implying Harry Potter is the only children's literature
>implying Harry Potter is worthwhile in any language
>implying you should want to support Rowling the insufferable cow in any way

You fucks are making me pine for home. I'd love an English second hand bookshop or a few charity shops.

Albert Speer's memoirs.

How is highschool?