Don't have time to make bread last week

>Don't have time to make bread last week.
>Decided to stop at local place to pick up a bag of submarine sandwich buns.
>Get home, make sandwich.
>Start to eat sandwich.
>Weird, nasty, chemical, perfume odor and flavor on one end of the bun.

It was bug spray. I smelled the shopping bag, it also had bug spray. The end of the bun bag that was facing outwardly, on the store shelf, was sprayed with bug spray. I asked someone at the store about it and she said they let off some bug bombs the night before. Got my money back.

Who in their right mind does that in a food store? Just one more reason to make sure I have time to make bread every week and buy as little from that cheap shithole as I can..

Other urls found in this thread:

blessthismessplease.com/homemade-subway-bread-recipe/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I haven't bought "bread" from a US grocery since I started making my own several years ago. Even if I don't have the time to do an extended rise sourdough, I'll make a double rise active yeast bread. I make my own hamburger buns too. When I eat at a relatives or friend, I've tried eating that garbage from groceries and it has the texture of sawdust paste and flavor of industrial chemicals.

Same here. Only it was like eating something that turned into a sweet chemically paste that stuck to my teeth and the roof of my mouth. I seriously don't know how people can do it. The bug spray really was the show stopper.

>bug spray used in bread making

I wouldn't be surprised if some extra chromosome "worker" saw a flour weevil and sprayed OFF into it. Hell I made a nice risotto riddled with weevils the other day and it was damn tasty (pic related). Even made a thread about it so there's that.

why

dude

Hey I was in that thread. It was a good thread!
I'm not above eating insects, as long as they arent a danger to my health. Whose to say that smaller meat sources are less tasty?

I aspire to be like this guy.

Stupid people exist. Its something that surprises me still.

protein

jesus, that's horrifying. i started baking bread in april and i'll never go back. i've turned into that pretentious asshole who judges bread and will only buy like """""artisan""""" bread when i'm on vacation. fuck that mass produced chemical ridden suger filled bullshit you get at the store

What

Must suck being a flyover

Baking yourself is best. It's easy, cheaper and the final result is (typically) better.

How to make my own bread at home?

Read Jim Lahey's no knead bread method. Stupid simple and turns out great. His book is called My Bread.

>submarine sandwich buns
Do Americans really call them this?

I've never baked bread. It always seemed like a long process that I was never really prepared to dedicate a week to.

Is this really the case? Or is it just dependent on the bread?

It can take a while when you're first learning, but it certainly doesn't take much time or effort once you know what your're doing. Kneading the dough takes just a few minutes (and can be done with a stand mixer). Then you let it sit for a while (hands off) while it proofs (aka rises). Then you bake it. The whole process does take some time, but the vast majority of it is hands-off.

If you are extra lazy you can do the no-knead methods. I did that often when I was in college. Mix your dough ingredients the night before (takes less than 5 min). Leave it somewhere warm. Bake the next day.

A few hours for the most basic stuff.

If i have a sourdough starter already and want to make a no yeast simple sourdough with whole wheat and AP flour, what kind of ratio of flour to water and starter would you guess i'd be using?
i made one that turned out kind of dense and i don't think i slapped and folded it enough in addition to adding too much flour.
also, do you have any tips for working with particularly wet dough?

edit; i have a kitchenaid stand mixer with a dough hook if that's something i could use rather than trying to work with the sticky fucking mess. any help would be awesome.

my store has a bakery inside that makes the buns that day, this is really the only reason I have gone so long without really making bread myself.

the only thing they are used for in america, at least in sight of most people, is what are called subs.

mixing the ingredients, 5-10 minutes
knead dough, 5-10 minutes
most of the work after this point is waiting
and then after the waiting period its mostly washes.

making bread is mind numbingly easy, Hell, I fuck up 90% of the time because I can't really practice in rapid succession due to shit body, and what comes out is better then most shit I can buy in a store... granted most of my bread has so far been pizza dought.

~~~~~~~~~~~

With that said, I need to make some buns, i'm thinking of making the 'sub' buns again so I can finish off the ham and chicken in the fridge, however I have an issue.

How in the fuck do you make the outside of the buns golden brown? nothing I do gets them that color, and If I cook them longer to try, the fucking part touching the pan burns without the top changing to a golden brown.

The inside of the buns are done and just fine, but the outside leaves shit to be desired.

egg wash?

That may be what it needs to do that, but every place I saw recipes for bread said nothing about egg wash or eggs at all so I have to imagine that was not necessary to get it golden brown.

Brush with beaten egg just before baking.

>here's my incredibly easy super basic bread recipe!
>all you need is a hand woven proofing basket, a ceramic artisanal bread cloche, and 72 hours to properly cold proof your wild rare strain imported yeast
>look how dry and crusty the outside of the loaf is, oh boy this will just absolutely shred the roof of your mouth as soon as you try to eat it

fuck these people, they made me think baking bread at home was unreasonable for so long

Buns exclusively used for making submarine sandwiches and labeled as "submarine buns" on the label. They are normally precut either like a hotdog on the side or completely cut in half..

Actually, it is amazing. I have 45 acres of river, woods, field, and farm to roam around on.

It only takes a few hours at most for yeast risen breads. I normally make a few batches on the weekend for various things.

>do you have any tips for working with particularly wet dough?

Add more flour in tiny amounts. Kneading is the key and you really need that window pane effect when you stretch it out for sour dough.

>look how dry and crusty the outside of the loaf is,

There's more than one type of bread you can make. You can make ultra white sliced bread if you really want or a hard crust artisan where you need soup or stew to eat it with.

What's your bread recipe? Never tried it before but it seems a lot easier than I thought.

brush with milk before baking.

window pane. okay. thanks. wish me luck.

Just this for the most part,

The notes are extremely important.

Use powdered milk at 5% of the flour weight in your dough or brush the tops with half & half before baking. Egg wash makes the crust dark and crunchy, which is desirable for some breads but not for buns. Dairy will achieve the browning while keeping it soft.

word.

Making your own bread is the most pretentious, dickwad thing to brag about. I hope you all die in a fire

you don't have any friends and your dog ran away because you beat it and molested it? sorry to hear that. seek counseling.

>buying bread

only acceptable if you live in France tbqh

I was in Iceland over the summer for a study abroad, several times on the road we had sandwiches for lunch with store bought stuff, even the regular store bought bread was so much better than what most grocery stores sell.

Grocery stores in the US*

Is there some kind of (instant) yeast to fermentation formula? I've made bread before with 0.5% instant yeast and letting is fermentate for 14 hours or so. Not sure if this is the optimal way to do it.

hey thats my hometown

>Bake sourdough loaf for the first time today
>Despite some challenges it comes out beautifully albeit a bit moist and gummy
>Not even an issue once toasted
>Come out to kitchen to see my beautiful loaf on a plate hacked into lumpy thick misshapen pieces
>Ask my grandmother why the hell she did that
>"Well you wanted to share with everyone right?"
Half of the pieces can't fit in the toaster and the ones that can are still so thick that they can't toast all the way through. She literally cut one piece like 3 inches thick. I'm not mad at her because she was only trying to help and she's a decent cook but holy shit she cannot manage to slice anything thin. Any time we make sandwiches or whatever she slices huge chunks of tomatoes and cheese slices 1/3 inch thick. When I don't eat them she asks me why and when I try to explain to her that proportions and ratios of ingredients matter and that so much cheese at once overpowers everything else she tells me "oh user stop being such a gourmand!"

Sounds like she needs a vegetable cutter.

Simplify the way you communicate with your grandma, dumbass.
>why do you not eat sandwich grandson?
>slices are too thick grandmama
>i will consider this in the future grandson.

Try it.

This cannot stand user. She needs to go to a home, now.

Wtf call an exterminator you weirdo.

>Weird, nasty, chemical, perfume odor and flavor
When I come home from school my parents have no idea what I'm talking about. I eat clean during the semester.

ive seen you shill that dumb thread in like 5 threads now, ffs get a life

I brushed water on the top of my sanwich rolls when baking to brown them

>implying America is a corporate shithole or something
>there are only two fast food signs in the bottom pic

Fuck off.

Whenever I go to potluck dinners, I can taste and smell all the air fresheners, Febreze sprays, Raid, pets, tobacco smoke, etc things people use in their homes right there in the food. It's pretty bad sometimes. People are normally clueless.

Can you tell the spices are at least three years old?

Don't believe them it's a really basic skill. And the smell alone is 100% worth it.

It's not something to brag about because it's so easy. If you're going to be home and awake for the next three hours, there's really no reason not to. I don't even know where I can buy a loaf of 100% whole wheat.

>yfw you realize OP is a bug and that the bug spray worked

I'll sell you one, senpai

Is it unsalted?

are you planning to do something other than eating it?

No, I just don't like salted bread with salted hummus. I add a high IQ cucumber if both are unsalted, which is the case when I'm home. I buy hummus when traveling because my homemade stuff isn't sterile enough to last a couple days with all the nooks and crannies in my blender. Usually Holy Land. Most others don't even have lemon juice.

>Weird, nasty, chemical, perfume odor and flavor on one end of the bun.
I can't wait to read your obituary in a week.

Ok, just got done making bread, got some questions

this is what I followed

and pic related was the result.
The bread isn't bad, it's just incredibly flat.

It works for sandwiches, but I want to make some better buns
I prefer the longer ones as I typically eat 2 sandwiches and if I can make one and get the same result that would be amazing, I also like hamburgers with buns that are bigger then the meat just so toppings don't slide out as easily.

anyone got ideas on how I fucked up, what I did wrong, or how I could do better in the future.

also suggestions on bun bread with few ingredients would be helpful.

>a high IQ cucumber

Why would you use such a shitty recipe? Not only is it using imprecise volumetric measurements for flour, but it gives a range of those measurements that could leave your sough either way too dry or way to wet. That writer is an idiot and you're an idiot for following them. As for your bread, your oven was either too cold or you didn't bake it long enough, and you either under kneaded or over proofed. Bread only needs four things: water, salt, yeast, and flour. So fuck you, fuck your shitty bread, and fuck that recipe.

so... how the fuck do you measure it that isn't volumetric?

The way it's made is mostly by feel, as in it shouldn't be sticking to the point it's a problem, since I don't have a mixer I did this by hand.

got an example of a good recipe so I know what i'm looking for?

Use a scale and look up baker's percentages, dummy.

got none of that, also not able to pay for a stand mixer sure as hell not paying for that... looked up bakers percentages, looks usefull for a bakery, looks like nothing but a gigantic fucking hassle for a small batch.

Buy a scale, they're cheap. And if you think weighing out a bit of flour is too complicated for you to handle, just give up on ever making good bread.

ITT: crumb fags circle jerk over something as mundane as homemade bread

gave up, I just want serviceable at this point.

I just don't understand why it's so difficult to find bread made with steam-injecting ovens

it's impossible to find a bread with a crisp crust anywhere in my town

In the US, if its not made in the northeast or by the Vietnamese, bread is incredibly hit or miss, usually miss.

>northeast
Considering moving to Boston once I finish up here, any idea how it is up there?

Used to have a comfy bakery right after a french couple moved into town and bought a location, but they got a lot of complaints when they switched to the steam-injecting ovens that they used in France, so they sold them and switched back. When I do bread in my apartment I've got a deep sheet pan filled with preheated lava rock that I pour water into just before sliding the dough in to get that crackly crust, but my workspace is so small that I hate working the dough

Just because it's ok to be gay and suck cock doesn't mean you have to go further and eat bugs for weird sources of protein.

Yes, but only after I started growing my own crops then dehydrating and preserving the herbs and spices. The first time I noticed it was with my own cooking. I was using crushed red pepper I bought from the store only a week prior to that. I was able to compare it with the crushed red pepper I made. I was blown away by the difference in flavor and odor. Then about 3 months later, the crushed red pepper I had made started to smell and taste like the store bought stuff. I now extend the life time of the home grown spices now by vacuum sealing them in mason jars and storing them in the freezer. They can last at least 1 year in there without tasting like the store stuff.

Ever since that, I've been able to tell how old the spices are that someone used or how well they were stored. Like when people who store them on a shelf over the stove.

>currently have purple tomatillos in the dehydrator

I found that places that use a masonry bread oven that is wood fired have the breads with the best crusts. The main problem is that those are extremely rare.

>I just don't understand why it's so difficult to find bread made with steam-injecting ovens
It's not hard to find that. Nearly all commercial bakers use those.

Instead the problem is cultural. Most people prefer a softer bread with less of a crust so that's the main market the bakers target. They certainly COULD make a nice crusty bread but that's less popular of a product so they choose not to.

Haven't you noticed how many people here sperg out about crust?

>ffs get a life
>posting on Veeky Forums

huh

>Haven't you noticed how many people here sperg out about crust?

BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Dude, the crust is the best part! That's what makes the bread good for dipping in soup!