The observable universe constitutes about 5% of the universe's total mass with the remaining ~95% being occupied by an...

The observable universe constitutes about 5% of the universe's total mass with the remaining ~95% being occupied by an invisible intangible substance called Dark Matter that we are expected to believe in because "wise men" have predicted its existence through mathematical formulas. Yet, according to atheists there is no good reason to believe in God because He cannot readily be detected by the naked eye.

Why is it considered appropriate to throw blind faith behind a mere theory while rejecting over 2000 years of Christian wisdom?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=plVk4NVIUh8
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I don't know, but this is Veeky Forums.

Still I agree with you, OP, evolutionary biology is by far my least favorite area of scientific study.

>Yet, according to atheists there is no good reason to believe in God because He cannot readily be detected by the naked eye.
the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

>blind faith

Dark energy and dark matter are both legitimate. We don't know what they are but we know they exist

>Birds evolved from nothing

No one has ever seen dark matter or dark energy. It's basically a big fucking bandaid that keeps existing physics from falling apart. It's the luminiferous aether of our time.

Wow, I really want to watch a man have sex with a monkey.

>Women evolved from ribs.

Dark matter and dark energy have observable effects. As least SOMETHING is causing deviation from known physics.

ZERO evidence to support 20 centuries of Christian theological BS.

Consider the following: for a hypothesis to be considered scientific, it must be falsifiable. However, evolution takes place over time scales so great they could never be observed, making the theory unfalsifiable and thus, unscientific.

>Dark matter and dark energy have observable effects. As least SOMETHING is causing deviation from known physics.
So what makes "Dark Matter" more likely to be causing these observable effects than something else? It's literally an arbitrary choice between believing in God and believing in "Dark Matter".

at least be original also the universe behaves as if there were more mass than it observably has, so the obvious conclusion is that it has that mass.

>2000 years of christian wisdom
>2000 years of edits and translations
christian wisdom is fire and brimstone

What makes you think you are detecting the mass of Dark Matter? Couldn't it be the mass of God?

>countless stories plagiarized from older writings
>main protagonist is an egotistical psychopath
>the morals aren't applicable and outright terrible at times
>many discontinuities in the time line
>contradictions
>poorly translated multiple times through the years
>fan base is hit and miss
>too much fan fiction, some of which has been directly incorporated into the main story

Eh, I give The Bible Saga a 5.5/10 stars. It could be worse.

What you don't understand is simple : science doesn't care of God. Science doesn't prove the nonexistence of God. Science only describes what it sees.

If what you believe contradicts what science observes, then it is likely that you are mistaken. It doesn't say that God doesn't exist. We can't prove or disprove God. It just says that what you observe there can not be explained by what your belief says.

And that's where some scientists (like Richard Dawkins) are wrong. He can criticize what the Bible says but from the moment he denies the existence of God, he leaves his role as a scientist.

>So what makes "Dark Matter" more likely to be causing these observable effects than something else?
???? what the fuck are you talking about? dark matter is just hypothesized matter that we say exists because, when it does, every observation makes sense.

>Couldn't it be the mass of God?
sure why not i guess if that helps you sleep better. the point of dark matter is to retroactively make our observations make sense. as long as you understand that, nothing else really matters

Dark Matter hasn't been observed. Conversely, there are numerous eyewitness accounts of the crucifixion of Christ and it is widely regarded as fact that He did exist. Furthermore, numerous eyewitness accounts dating from modern and contemporary times attest to Christian miracles.

No one has ever observed Dark Matter. Its existence has only been hypothesized based on certain physical anomalies. I could attribute the phenomena supposedly caused by "Dark Matter" to magical invisible gnomes and it would be absolutely equal to the Dark Matter hypothesis because we don't know what Dark Matter is or if it exists. It is simply an inference based on mathematical calculations.

>What makes you think you are detecting the mass of Dark Matter?
wait what the fuck? i reread it again and the stupidity finally struck me

nobody is detecting the mass of anything, the issue is that the universe behaves as if there is more mass than there is. if you want to believe that that mass is god, go for it. dark matter is just the name for the heretofore undetected matter

>I could attribute the phenomena supposedly caused by "Dark Matter" to magical invisible gnomes and it would be absolutely equal to the Dark Matter hypothesis because we don't know what Dark Matter is or if it exists.

yes, if the gnomes were the correct mass to account for the anomaly.

>it is simply an inference based on mathematical calculations
it is an inference based on the behavior of the universe itself. and if you understand what "inference" actually means, you just shot yourself in the leg there.

>Furthermore, numerous eyewitness accounts dating from modern and contemporary times attest to Christian miracles.
>eyewitness accounts
>attesting to christian miracles
wew lad

>No one has ever observed Dark Matter. Its existence has only been hypothesized based on certain physical anomalies. I could attribute the phenomena supposedly caused by "Dark Matter" to magical invisible gnomes and it would be absolutely equal to the Dark Matter hypothesis because we don't know what Dark Matter is or if it exists. It is simply an inference based on mathematical calculations.

Remplace Dark Matter with God.

I said "something".
Maybe it's not dark matter. Maybe someone will find a valid formula for MOND (MOdified Newtonian Dynamics) which explains what we see.
But it's a real phenomena.

Gods aren't real. They have no measurable effect. Millions pray for the recovery of their monarch when he falls ill; but kings fare no better than the un-prayed for. Prayer won't break a drought or stop another school shooting.

In fact, the main function of religion in the modern world is as a justification for atrocities.
Peddle your nonsense on /x/ where it'll fit right in.

Did you unironically make that "god of the gaps" suggestion?
Like literally stuff his mass into the gap in mass in the universe?

So you admit that it's all arbitrary and atheists just refuse to accept God out of principle, even if the alternative is no more provable.

Dude, fuck me, are you serious?

Dark matter is an "unknown matter", hence the fucking name! Dark matter has no definitive properties besides a proposed massive amount of gravitational pull, it is dubbed so because we don't know what the fuck is holding the galaxy together, so we put a placeholder title for it until we understand it better and can name it.

Let me give you a few examples as to what I personally think dark matter can be:

Dead neutron stars that don't glow brighter than the ultraviolet scale;
Smaller "galaxies" of gaseous matter that maxes up a galaxy and has enough pull on the objects around them;
Or it's perhaps a physical force undiscovered because it's just too damn large, as large as a galaxy or greater than such, that is enacted upon everything due to the Central super massive black hole in our galaxy.

So to say "why is dark matter more likely to be causing these phenomenon..." Is as retarded as saying "why is it something we don't know of more likely to be causing these phenomenon."

Just paraphrasing what you said, by the way, I'm on mobile.

>Did you unironically make that "god of the gaps" suggestion?
What makes "God of the gaps" different from "secular hypothesis of the gaps that I choose to believe in arbitrarily"?

>evolution can't be proved
youtube.com/watch?v=plVk4NVIUh8

no but you can see that your demonstration is obsolete.

Saying it is God stops research into it. If it is God then there is nothing to learn, right?
Dark matter is a placehoder for what we don't know. We can continue researching that.

in our models the existence god does not hold any predictive value.
dark matter knownedge can solve old formulate questions in physics or add more fuel to the fire.

Dark matter we know exists because it causes gravitation lensing which is directly observable. Dark energy we have no fucking idea what it is and nobody pretends to know what it is, it's just an assigned name for everything we can't yet detect but would have to exist in order for the universal expansion to be accellerating.

Atheists have been annihilated in this thread.

The man in the image has a cheetah tail.

Such astute powers of observation, yet you still can't detect God.

I hypothesize that if a thing is undetectable it cannot be assumed to exist.

God isn't real.

The problem with attributing the claim of Dark Matter to God is that his presence is not a requirement for anything we understand about our world and solar system. Everything we didn't know hundreds of years ago and attributes to God found another explanation that fit and was testable.

All evidence so far suggests that is God does exist, he doesn't make his presence known through an active management of the universe.
While dark matter and dark energy could turn out to be nothing, that would come through finding another testable physical law of the universe that explains what we observe instead, not through God.

So you'd be one of the brainlets who would call Democritus crazy for talking about atoms

Fuck phone posting. You can find my spelling mistakes.

Probably.
But the idea of god is older than Democritus and has less evidence for it now than he had for atoms in his time.

Because there's a big difference between saying "we don't know why galaxies move as if they have more mass than they appear to, perhaps there is mass we can't see or our understanding is incomplete in some other way", and "we don't know why galaxies move as if they have more mass than they appear to, it's because the dude who created the universe felt like it".

In the second case you are opening up all sorts of implications and questions that you aren't in the first case. Who is this God and how does he explain our observations?

Prove dark matter exists right now

Prove God exists right now.

explain why I should believe in dark matter and I don't believe in god so no religion strawman either

>"we don't know why galaxies move as if they have more mass than they appear to, it's because the dude who created the universe felt like it".
But this is a fallacy. Just because the unknown mass may be God, doesn't mean you have to put a stop to the research. God has created to universe for humans to marvel at His creation.

In reality, what atheist scientists are doing is automatically spurn any possibility of a creator from the equation so you get a kind of inverse of what you're afraid of. "God isn't even a possibility so it must be something else. It must be luminiferous aether. It must be Dark Matter. It must be tachyons. It can't be God because that contradicts my established belief system about what science should look like."

The difference is that the universe behaves as if the matter does exist. Furthermore, it’s not the only theory. Entropic gravity also explains the way the universe behaves, however it’s not currently comprehensive enough

The difference between you and people that aren’t retarded is that they have no investment in the theory. It’s simply logical, and the math fits perfectly. If entropic gravity were comprehensive enough, dark matter would be abandoned altogether

No one knows what dark matter or dark energy is other than an explanation for the unexplained. Anyone who says otherwise is leading you on.

>God of the gaps
Wow user, what an original and thought-provoking argument, which definitely is taken seriously by Christian theologians

Then don't.
No one is requiring you to believe in it, it is just the leading theory for the lack of observable matter and observations of gravity.

see

I was just wondering what the compelling argument for it was, no need to be defensive.

The compelling argument is that matter relates to gravity. We see the affect of a lot more gravity than we see the matter for.

>The difference between you and people that aren’t retarded is that they have no investment in the theory.

I don't have any investment in the theory.

Dark matter is based on solid math and astronomical observation.

While according to Roman historians:
Jesus was just a Jewish guy who founded a religion. He was considered heretic by Jewish Priests. So Jewish Priests asked Romans to kill Him.

Romans persecuted Christians but then surrendered. Rome became christian. And christian missionaries started to convert the Celts and Vikings to Christianity.

And that's it.

But believing unquestionably in a single book (Bible, Quran, Book of Mormon) while throwing out all other knowledge is silly and dumb.

Because the scientists have incomprehensible formulas and tenures.

So when their model of the world does not function they can just make shit up until the calculations balance and if you question it your career in sciences is over.

What makes you think standard physics is correct when it literally can not provide correct predictions without scientists throwing extra numbers in the equation?

>based on certain physical anomalies
please explain

>atheists just refuse to accept God out of principle
God is supposedly just and loving, but bad things happen to good people (and vice versa). How is the idea that this seems contradictory 'just out of principle'?

This really just comes down to you not having any fucking clue at all what dark matter is.

>he observable universe constitutes about 5% of the universe's total mass with the remaining ~95% being occupied by an invisible intangible substance called Dark Matter

The FIRST advanced technological civilizations knew that at the universe end times MATTER would be the most important resource left.. they have 95% already stored.

>Why is it considered appropriate to throw blind faith behind a mere theory while rejecting over 2000 years of Christian wisdom?
The equations.

God isn't supposedly loving that's just certain abrahamic dogma.
The ONLY thing you need to define God is that of "the most fundamental and powerful entity that exists in all dimensions, universes, and existences". It's kinda pointless but that's it, it has nothing to do with good or bad or anything.

Based on our models, there is Y matter. Based in what we see, there is X matter. There difference between X and Y is our error. Either our models are wrong, or we can't see the matter. We continuously test our models and find they are incredibly accurate everywhere else, so it is likely the difference is because we can't see all the matter. Thus, we call it dark, because it does not reflect or give off light. We still continue to test and refine our models, but nothing has significantly changed that difference between Y and X, so dark matter continues to be the most likely explanation.

>we are expected to believe
If you can prove it's wrong, then they'll have to be stand corrected. I hope you get very far in science and disprove this nonsense user. Good luck!

You see what's very funny about that picture is that it's trying to make fun of all these events being very unlikely to happen and without even needing to point out how it's retarded even if it was 100% right it wouldn't matter because all in order for us to hold these thoughts we would need to exist and for the world to be as it is right now : thus the probability of all the events that led to this world are completely irrelevant

TL;DR : brainlets can't into causality

ITT: God did it because I can't imagine another scenario.

Evolution can be observed in bacteria. You know how anti-biotics are loseing effectiveness? Blame evolution.

So you trying to say that dark matter could be God's flacid cock and we'd never know?

It could also be Father Christmas. You know what? I'm calling it. Dark matter is where Santa keeps his operation. The North pole is actuslly a reference to blah blah blah and he's actually an alien.

I love how Israel flip flops between god king emperors and shit eating slaves every third generation.

So how big do you guys reckon the chance that dark matter and energy actually don't exist, and instead we should change the theories of gravity/energy themselves? Have there been serious proposals in that area or is it just hopeless?

Jesus probably existed. What is your point?

Prayer can be comforting. Although I suspect that meditation would be more productive.

Because dark matter is known to exist in any form.

We do, sort of.

We can split atoms.

But OP talks about "2000 years of Christian wisdom". I'm pretty sure christian teaching says mre about God than his power.

Imagine being so retarded you making conflate metaphysics and known observable behaviour. Since you are too much of a retard to do any research yourself il give you the cliff notes and you will just have to take my word for it.
1) The universe is expanding as a non linear function
2) We dont know what sort of energy fuels this expansion
3) We know gravity is the counteractive force that holds matter together in large celestial bodies
4) We know gravity is a property of mass
5) The rate of expansion is inconsistent with the amount of mass (gravity) in the observable universe.

Add these things up and we get dark matter and dark energy.

Eye witness accounts to a guy named jesus being crucified is now considered evidence of divinity? I hope I just dont wake up one day so I can get off this shithole planet.

This interpretation is subscribed to by 0.000...1% of believers. The rest of them are full on lunatics who think the great flood actually happened, the world is only 6000 years old, and dinosaur fossils are fake.

>vital organs
Most of those are only vital for humans. Take a look at a Jellyfish if you want to see what early animal biology looked like. It's basically a stomach and a hole that it eats and shits from.

If god was smart and also one entity, he'd just make one omnivorous and intelligent animal, one herbivorous and stupid animal, and then just populate the world with a shitload of plants. There is literally no reason to have a shitload of different species when one is just going to ream the fuck out of the rest.

Kek, this has got to be bait. Nobody thinks the universe is either the observable universe or dark matter.

TBF, no one does, that's what's dark about it.