How can I treat my depression without prescriptions or therapy?

How can I treat my depression without prescriptions or therapy?

By yourself!

I really need advice. It's ruining my academic career.

>It's ruining my academic career.
Then hop on your ssri prescription and therapy

I can't pay for it.

get source of income to pay for it

Stop being gay.

>how can I get rid of cancer without prescription or therapy
Oh, yeah, herbs abd Buddhist meditation will help

t Steve Jobs

“Big pharma” want you to think depression is hard to fix, but that is not the case. Just think about it in a logical way. How do you feel when you are depressed. Sad? Sleepy? Tired? No interest in things? Why would your body make you feel like this? Because you are.....tired.

Now start from the bottom and work you way up as to why your body is tired.

>Phsyiological
Is your diet in check? Are you getting the required nutrients. Iron and vitamin D deficiencies are a BIG one that will make you feel “depressed”. Are you exercising on a regular basis? Are you getting adequate rest? This is also a big one as some people think playing high-cortisol high-andrenaline online video games is “leisure”. This is not rest and will wear you out and make you feel tires and depressed rather quickly. This is especially important for you because you said you are studying. If you are intensly focusing on your study material throughout the day it is perfectly fine to veg out and “do nothing”.

Then work on
>Psychological
>Social - this is very important

Sorry for any spelling/grammatical errors - rushed this out on phone

Get to the source of your depression.
What is it that hurts you?
Is it the realization that we are nothing but atoms and electrons, or deeper in that we are but energy waves?

Therapeutic Fasting. Thank me later.

Exercise, having enough thiamine and folate in your diet, although I recommend eating vegan because ethical reasons, having friends, join some clubs if you're in uni, nature also alleviates depressive symptoms'

The good news is, aerobic exercise can also boost IQ. I mean adequate jogging. Meditation also relieves one of depressive symptoms

>How can I treat my depression without prescriptions or therapy?
You may not be able to. I know psychology and psychiatry is a meme in general but depression is pretty well-studied and one of the things about which there is no disagreement is that
1) depression is normal and doesn't always need to be "treated"
2) repeated bouts of depression can create a permanently depressed state in which case there's no treatment other than endless alleviation of symptoms via drugs and bullshit

If you keep getting depressed you probably fall into camp (2), but life is pretty shitty in general so don't mistake being "reasonably" depressed for being "unreasonably" depressed. A good friend with whom you share a lot can help tell the difference. Just be sure to tell them up front you're not looking to SOLVE problems you're looking to understand whether your feelings are irrational. If you don't have any friends that can do this then you'll have to see a therapist.

I've had depression for several years now. I only started on medication after a suicide attempt, resulting in the first of three hospitalizations. I don't like to give advice anymore because I have learned from interacting with hundreds of depressed people that each case is different in it's causes and potential treatments. What I can say is I know many people (including myself) who would not be alive if they rejected medication or proper therapy. I have only met one mentally unstable person who manages to live something resembling a normal life without medication, though he sees a therapist weekly. I don't know anything about you so I have no know way of knowing what your depression comes from, how it responds to environmental stimuli, or how you could best be treated. I can only speak to my experience, which generally recommends being a willing participant in your mental health treatment and keeping an open mind about things that you are predisposed against.

>saves religion bashing pics on his PC
>wonders why he's depressed
Stop being an edgy nihilist turd, OP, there's probably a reason why all successful human civilizations had a religion for the last couple millennia.

mate ssri is cheap just get some, it fixes everything

The part about predisposition is really vague. Nearly everyone I've met have had some bias against anti-depressants, therapy, hospitalization, IOP (intensive outpatient program), etc. They (I should really say we) have had to overcome those biases because not doing so meant preventing our self-betterment. I didn't mean it in some grand philosophical sense, I'm not here to prescribe values.

fix your sleep rhythm

what is FRUMPF became a god president

The only helpful advice is for you to drop your "no therapy" restriction.

Get some help.

By just chilling out fgt

healthy food, vitamin D and exercise should help

> Anno Domini Nostri Iesu Christi MMXVIII
> Not doing Ash Wednesday liturgy in Latin
> Saying some bullshit about butt dust instead of Memento homo quia pulvis es et in pulverem reverteris

take melatonin tablets

in tandem with that, more exercise

smoke weed desu

Physical activity helps me with anxiety and depression. It is hard to force yourself to do it, though. I dont know if you can treat depression with average to no will power. I'm taking antidepressants, but they don't help. Keeping yourself busy, rewarding yourself for small accomplishments, exercise or any other tiring physical activity might help short term. I think depression is lifelong, so welcome to hell.

I presume you meant paid medication and paid therapy.

Depression 'happens' on the level of hormones. You ended up in a hormone status where your body keeps you in a irrational depressed state.
To get out of this status you have to diagnose what exactly keeps you in this state. There are several possible reasons for this.

Do yourself a favor and seek help.

Hi, OP, someone who's done the therapy route here.

To preface this, I don't know how bad your depression might be, but mine was at a point where it really hindered my academic abilities and even led me to fall into substance abuse. Even with that, I'd personally consider my depression minor because I've been managing to deal with it through occasional therapy and a lot of focused lifestyle changes.

Therapy is a big help. My therapist is great because he helps me ground the shit I've been feeling without ever making it feel as if he's being judgmental about it and he gives me stuff to focus on outside of therapy. It's really helped me reel in the more chronic and less severe symptoms of my depression with decent success, though obviously it's not perfect. It doesn't help keep suicidal thoughts away, it doesn't help on days when I feel so bad that I can't get out of bed or do anything. But on days that aren't those, it helps.

For focused lifestyle changes, I started adding a lot of things into my schedule that don't take much time and that I enjoy doing. I make sure to read for pleasure a little bit every day, I watch an episode of some show with dinner, I make sure to cook for myself at least once a week a meal which can last me a few days and which I enjoy, stuff like that. They don't help because I enjoy them, they help because it gives me at least one thing to focus on every day that I don't hate and that let me get distracted from how I'm feeling.

Other changes include weening away from substances. This obviously can be a lot harder to do, but here's how I did it:
-I used to smoke a shitload of weed but this was probably the easiest thing to quit simply because I stopped liking who I was when high and also I had had a number of panic attacks while high. The last panic attack was bad enough to instantly get rid of any positive feelings I had toward weed, and I've stopped using it since.
-For drugs, I had always known that a lot of my close
(1/2)

Therapy isn't what you think it is. Therapy starts at home and within the confines of yourself.
Learn about yourself instead of wasting your time on a piece of paper. Take a break from study and acknowledge the fact that the education system is fucked up in every possible way and that you're not the only victim/contributor to your present affliction.

From there, you shall see the light if you have faith.

(2/2) weaning, not weening*
friends were worried about my drug usage, but for me what did it was when the girl that I'm into showed that she was worried. That really made me look at what I was doing and made me want to quit, so I've been really successful at stopping. Plus, selling all my shit gave me a decent amount of money, which is always a plus. I realize this is a bit of a nebulous example, but it really helped me.
-For alcohol, being home at my parents' for 2 weeks for break and being comparatively sober (I say comparatively because I still would get drunk with them on occasion, but I wasn't wasted for most of the day like usual) gave me the chance to look back at my habits and made me realize that that's just not healthy at all. Being relatively sober for 2 weeks helped wean me off of alcohol and I'm back at essentially a normal level where it doesn't inhibit my ability to go to class or work.

These are things that work for me in helping keep my depression in check. Obviously they aren't perfect, I still have days where I feel terrible and I have days where I even feel suicidal. And I understand if you don't have access to therapy, in which case I encourage you to try to maybe change some things about your lifestyle to at least add some things you enjoy, because even only a handful of stuff can have a big impact.

If you can, though, I recommend trying therapy. That's probably been the biggest impact on helping me deal with depression.

Hope this helps, OP. Rooting for you.