Whats Veeky Forums opinion on DFW?

Whats Veeky Forums opinion on DFW?

Other urls found in this thread:

theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/09/david-foster-wallace-genius-fabulist-would-be-murderer/261997/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Banal

eh

he was an alright writer but thinking about him in person is nauseating. How lame.

Looks like a total dick. Can't get passed that enough to read his stuff.

Pale King is legit one of the greatest books of the 21st century

Why did he killed himself?

but what IS water? gimme 4 years of schooling so i can finally figure out at the graduation

No discernable talent

99% cooler and better and more awesomer and sweeter and smarter than anyone on this board ever in all of history full stop both ways to yesteryear (part 2)/

Terrible.

LE COOL BANDANA MAN

stupid faggot

Wait, are you making fun of his bandana? Why? The bandana is awesome, I bet you're virgin and live in your mother basement. I don't blame you though. The bandana only looks good in handsome people.

Shit desu.

I loved Infinite Jest after reading it but then after I read more books I realised its actually kind of bad. New sincerity was a mistake. Its literally 1000 pages of overeducated white guy problems.

cringe

Actually I withdraw my 'cringe' statement if you were being satirical on second thought

i am in the water but i am drowning

the screams captured in the air bubbles carry no sound

It's not even complete

>overeducated

When people say "overeducated," don't they usually mean "highly educated but still a total putz"?

Aww that's kinda sweet of you :3
Infinite Jest is good. He seems like an aight guy. Reading about his suicide was pretty sad desu.

Was he the first one to coin the term "audience pussy"?

MODS

Interesting dude who wrote some decent books. Probably won't change your life but won't hurt you either. People on here used to meme him as the GOAT now they meme him as being shit. Read him and get your own opinion. Brief Interviews is a pretty good starting point.

Cultural icon wannabe (a bandana? really?) who clouds everything in obscurantism in hopes that people will somehow perceive his work as meaningful

He shot himself in the foot doing interviews and exposing himself so much. Probably why he's so polarized on here. I'm neutral these days. I've found some great writing in IJ but it's buried in so much blather. What's it? Expository or something? Whatever that style of writing is, I'm not its biggest fan. But DFW was well above average talent wise.

Great prose stylist, innovative, high verbal IQ. Honest. Not a revolutionary thinker. I wouldn't mind if he was still alive and writing

theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/09/david-foster-wallace-genius-fabulist-would-be-murderer/261997/

Neither the century.

for an american "overeducated" means finishing highschool, right?

Depressing reminder of how bad the modern novel is.

Well fuck

Favorite writer. I get depressed when I think too hard on his death

wish he was dead desu

I have never read him, but people keep suggesting him to me since we apparently think along the same lines, especially since I hate ironic people. The cult of DFW really puts me off though, I would hate to be one of those people.

You know, I don’t want to be offensive. But ‘Infinite Jest’ is just awful. It seems ridiculous to have to say it. He can’t think, he can’t write. There’s no discernible talent.

I was upset when the National Book Award gave Stephen King a special award in 2003, but Stephen King is Cervantes compared to David Foster Wallace. We have no standards left.

Wallace seems to have been a very sincere and troubled person, but that doesn’t mean I have to endure reading him. I even resented the use of the term from Shakespeare, when Hamlet calls the king’s jester Yorick, ‘a fellow of infinite jest.’

Same desu

then don't. just read

No discernible talent

Educated beyond their actual intelligence level.

>overeducated

Caring about being/or being seen as "one of those people" that you would hate to be makes you one of them. DFW was trapped in his caring about how others saw him. Read the book or don't. Form your own opinion. Don't think about what groups you end up being a part of.