Sous vide

Any of you guys try cooking sous vide? I just had some beef short ribs I cooked at 145 degrees for 48 hours, seared with a Searzall, put some chipotle bbq sauce on them, and then had an orgasm after the first bite. Just outstanding.

sous vide is a meme. just fucking cook normally

For fish and thick steaks they must be great. If I ate such things a lot I'd have bought one already.

Yes, I sous vide steak mostly, to get that perfect doneness throughout without a gradient. Sous vide + sear is absolute peak steak.

I used to make all meat sous vide, but now I find sous vide overkill for most other things.

My mother is retarded. She's been cooking steaks once a week for two decades and is always cutting them in half, finding out they're raw, cooking them again, finding out they're still raw, cooking them again, etc.

I'm getting her a sous vide because it's probably the only way she'll ever be able to cook a steak without fucking it up.

DELET THIS SOUS VIDE IS NOT JUST FOR RETARDS REEEEEEE

>sous vide is a meme
>cook normally
Retard.

Its a meme. You'll use it for a month or two. After that, it'll go in a cabinet or drawer and come out once a year, if that. You can achieve the same results with multifunction electric pressure cookers that will hold a temp (like an instant pot) or a low temp (250°F) oven using a reverse sear method with a digital temp probe. Both alternate methods are more versatile and cheaper.

You heard it on Veeky Forums first. Boiling food in a bag is a fucking meme.

NO U ARE THE RETARD!

>meme is a synonym for fad
Peak stupidity, Veeky Forums.

>Calling a whole board of food lovers names is a great way to make an informed argument that will change their minds
Try finding fault in the argument using logic instead. Protip: Suck muh dick.

>SUPER REATARD

Has anyone tried "caramelization" through electrocuting the meat?
Would it kill disease vectors?

Heat seems so indirect and inefficient.

i use it more regularly than once a year.

you don't need it but it's great if you do dinner parties regularly.

>You can achieve the same results with multifunction electric pressure cookers that will hold a temp (like an instant pot)
i'm pretty sure that's not as consistent, versatile or controllable as a circ
>or a low temp (250°F) oven using a reverse sear method with a digital temp probe.
definitely the same problem, and inefficient to boot

So this thing tells you the temp inside the meat or what?

it tells you the temp the meat will stay at when it's warmed up. it uses water which warms the meat up a lot faster than an oven

I use mine all the time. But i don't do any funky week long cooking that results in technically edible but awful crap.

Nope. It just keeps a water bath at an exact temperature.

Sous vide is great for steaks, but where I find it really shines is with chicken. Cook it thoroughly, no chance of it being overdone and dry, and then do a quick sear with a hot pan or air fryer.

>You'll use it for a month or two

I use it about 3 times per week, and have been for about 9 months now.

you vacuum seal the food in the bag, and set the circulator for time and temp. The circulator will heat up the water in a tank (or just big pan--whatever container you use). You put the sealed up bag of food in the tank, and it's cooked by the water. So your steak will heat to exactly 137 degrees for 90 minutes (or whatever, that'd be one example). It can't overcook because the meat can't get hotter than the water. It stays juicier because it's sealed tightly in a bag.

When you take it out you do have to sear it, because meat without that slightly burned crust on the outside has a weird texture.

You can cook veggies with this method, too, but I haven't tried it yet. I've heard it's great for corn on the cob.

it's a convenient gadget for steak.
it's amazing for fish and chicken.
it's damn near vital for brewing, unless replaced with an even more expensive and complex device.

it's also really nice to have in third-world countries like clapistan where meat and eggs aren't safe, to soft-pasteurize things like tartare or dough intended to be eaten raw.

Great for yogurt too

Been doing it for a good while now. I cook 2 or 3 meals a week sous vide. The people calling it a meme aren't exactly wrong, but they aren't right either. Sous vide is a useful tool to have in your kitchen, but like most thing you need to know when and how to use it, and realize the strengths and weaknesses of the technique.

>Boiling food in a bag
>Boiling
Want to guess how I know you are full of shit?

>brewing
How the fuck do you brew in a plastic bag

>The people calling it a meme aren't exactly wrong, but they aren't right either.

Some of the best steakhouses in the world have been doing it for decades, so it's not too memey. It's just recently that you've been able to do it as a home cook without buying a $1000 appliance that cooks 30 steaks at a time.

the bag is there to keep the water out of the meat, not the meat out of the water. you can get away with cramming the immersion cooker straight into the mash if you give it a little cheesecloth condom, and if you're queasy on that it can also do its job placed in an 8- or 10-gallon pot with a 5-gallon mash pot also floated in it double boiler style.

i get most of my mileage cultivating koji in a dry covered plastic container floating in a 30 degree bath, though. shit's more expensive than it has any right to be in the us, i'd rather convert an entire koku of rice (or better yet cheap barley) with $30 starter than order it at $10 a pound.

You left out pork. Sous vide is perfect for really thick bone in chops, or for stuffed chops.

i'll have to try that, i gave up on "whole" pork outside of roasts, bbq, and cutlets long before i got an immersion cooker but it does make sense that it would solve my complaints with dry and chewy.

I haven't tried pork yet, but cooking ribs that way is classic sous vide. Like I said in the original post, I did beef short ribs this weekend, and they were spectacular.

Love it. Have done steaks, pork shoulder, ribs, prime rib (turns out fucking perfect), but have yet to do chicken with it. I'll probably never cook a steak without it again. It just turns out too damn good.

t. Sous Vide salesman

my sous vide dildo machine burnt my anus. Don't give these people money.

>it's damn near vital for brewing
lol no it's not you fuckwit, I've made dozens of beers and meads and have never once done anything with sous vide

Are you a brewlet who uses canned and bagged malt extract, or did you deliberately trim "unless replaced with an even more expensive and complex device" because you have one of those and feel like shitposting?
Probably just a brewlet if you're mentioning mead.

Lol
Under-rated post

Not him, you fagfuck, but I brew all grain and never done anything with your memeshit sous vide bullshit. Absolutely not needed. I also brew meads.

*and my "expensive" tool for mashing is a fucking water cooler, so go suck one for your home team.

>t. too dumb to realize that his cooler + thermostat + aquarium heater rig IS an immersion cooker
i understand, you're mad that you could have had a few years of really amazing meats if you were a little brighter. but it's never too late to start!