How do I reduce my vocabulary enough to write a YA novel?

How do I reduce my vocabulary enough to write a YA novel?

I mean, how are reading levels determined? How do I know which words are too difficult?

I've become almost completely numb to the feeling of "pretentiousness." What I mean is that I only feel irritation at unusual word use when I know they are being misused. The rest of the time I will "drink anything in a glass," so to speak.

This means that I've lost relevant forms of self-awareness when it comes to my own style and the prickly temperaments of underage readers, who could "detect" pretentiousness in a vacuum cleaner's user manual. This is where I need your help, Veeky Forums.

based on what you've written here, your natural level of vocabulary is already appropriate for a YA novel, even with a little bit of showing off

Oh, wonderful. Now, for my own private and future benefit, could you tell me how you determined that, or is it a woman's intuition kind of deal?

Top kek

Because teenagers want the language to be pseudo intellectual grown up style

Read several popular YA novels and simply do not use any words those books do not contain in your own work. If you get to a situation where you have to write about something that isn't in those novels, then you can always resort to looking up the word on dictionary.com and look at the sliding scale they have to determine how obscure it is.

That helpful answer aside, if you're genuinely 'tone-deaf' in regards to producing and editing writing that'll be palatable and accessible to the average YA reader, then you probably shouldn't be doing it---catering to a specific audience is an important skill. Not every expert can write a textbook for beginners, for example.

Most YA readers are adults, not underage

No, they do not. People in general do not. It needs to toe the line between not actually challenging the reader and not talking down to them, either. Nobody likes being talked down to.

This is all sound advice, thank you.
I may be tone-deaf, but only when speaking naturally. As an editor, I could impose accessibility and strictly enforce palatability.

Most adult YA readers are female, and women despise all abstract and technical language. Which is why they're reading YA instead of actual books.

Obvs, the issue is that I need to be readable even by your retarded classmates who stutter over every remotely unusual word when they have to read out loud.

I remember skimming the texts in advance, back in the day, seeing a "trouble word" and thinking, "Well, that'll break some jaws today."
And lo, it would. The satisfaction of having predicted it was not enough to offset the embarrassment I felt on their lunkheaded behalves.

Enjoy your 6 year ban, mods don't care if you're joking :^)

OP BTFO

>pseud pretends he's too good for YA and will probably never write a scrap of lit

The reason why you never make any money buddy is that you have no ambition.

/r/iamverysmart

I've reserved the month of June for full-time hack writing. Possibly also July. I'm actually thinking of cutting off my own internet access to rub my own nose in the inevitability of my economically motivated self-defilement.

If you think there are no levels to vocabulary, and that you do not have an accent, then you are probably in my target market. What a golden opportunity for research!

What are your feelings on torrid teen romance? How prominent should it be - the main plot or kind of a buried lede that forms the culmination of the plot? You see, test subject, I've been thinking of writing in an odd couple with opposing eccentricies who are friends with the utterly average but somehow unique protagonist. I'm not sure whether the main plot ill consist of their adventures as friends or there they will be sideline agony aunts and comedic/farcical foils to the deep love that unfolds on the center stage. Also, in chapter three, should Protagonistina eat an egg or a caesar salad? Which is considered cooler and more hip in locker-side gossip?

>or there they
Or whether they. Clumsy, clumsy.

I don't read fiction.

Yeees, excellent, I think I will incorporate this cold, jaded infference into my utterly average teen protagonist. People just don't "get" her, y'know?

If you want to write YA, how about testing the market directly first? That is if you're man enough for the job.
Write a non-original work first, a fanfiction. There is a platform where you can post that stuff, also you could ask on some forum/IRC for feedback.

I'm guessing you're 28-34, working a menial dead end job and still use writing low tier fiction as an excuse as to why you're still working at chipotle.

Maybe try Grammarly if you want to pretend to be a writer.

>rub my own nose in the inevitability of my economically motivated self-defilement
Is that another way of saying masterbation?

This is good advice and a bad jab.

The next user has a closer idea of what makes a good jab. If he had been correct, even one such as I might have been superstitious enough to take it to heart. Some call such jabs "soul-shivs." Faces fall, laughter stops. They are magical.

Anyway, this fanfiction concept interests me. It's in keeping with the derivative nature of YA and could be good practice.

That's almost flattering. Honestly, me having a job! Grad age, unemployed, living off a share of rent in an inherited property, best not to get into where I now live, but it's "nutty" here, completely "bananas," you could say.

Jab critique:
>I'm guessing you're 28-34, working a menial dead end job
Good so far, definitely a few notches about the people who make formulaic cracks about basement dwellers
>and still use writing low tier fiction as an excuse as to why you're still working at chipotle.
And here it fizzles. Hmm. What's the... what's the logic there? Would writing intelligent literary fiction get someone out of working at a spanish restaurant?
You must be from somewhere with a very generous grant system.

Master-bation requires a power gauntlet.

No response on the grammarly comment though ?

Looks directions to /r/iamverysmart has been the best advice given to you so far.

> good advice and a bad jab.
My post wasn't a personal attack at you, at most a jab at fanfiction. As in it's such a cesspool you have to man up to dive in it.

>Some call such jabs "soul-shivs." Faces fall, laughter stops. They are magical.
Even though my last post wasn't a personal attack, this one will be. What the fuck? That was so bad I can't even tell if you're trolling or not.
"I might have been superstitious enough to take it to heart."? At first I thought you didn't know what the word "superstitious" means but then I realized your writing is just that bad. The failed attempt at being clever just makes you seem illiterate.

You should probably "write" a book about someone who can't be "bothered" writing a book because they have no "motivation" or "drive".

Picture the end of their character arc being the sobering realisation that they've wasted their entire life procrastinating and overthinking the process of writing on internet message boards instead of actually writing or doing anything of "value" with their life.

Jesus Christ these threads are depressing. You all seem to be operating under the assumption that if you bully each other enough about writing then nobody will write, and then you won't need to write in order to be on the same level as your peers.

It's just a circle-jerk of people avoiding what they pretend to enjoy.

You're reading too much into this. The opening post was highly pretentious and narcissistic, it also asked about YA writing. The whole thread is just a knee-jerk reaction to the tone set in that post.

Just combine The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Harry Potter.

Print Money.

This isn't thread specific, it's just one among hundreds. You make a fair point about it being somewhat justified in this instance, but I lean toward giving people the benefit of the doubt and assuming they're sincere. Even if he is up his own ass, a negative reaction to that would be exactly what he wants so that he can tell himself everyone was intellectually intimidated by him.

I didn't recognise it. I thought, "Ugh, what is that, an iPhone thing?"
I just googled it, and it really is an app. I don't do apps. Phones are for calls, texts, and reading PDFs.

Yeah, sure, I'll browse reddit on an iphone and laugh at the funny things that middlebrow nerds think are kooky.

As for my grammar, I type convoluted sentences at great speed, so mistakes are likely to happen.

user, I am not inclined to hold a grudge.
However:
>That is if you're man enough for the job.

That's clearly a challenge, and challenging someone is an insult.

Perhaps there's a fine distinction between a challenge and an insult, but in that sentence you clearly straddle it. Yet it is not insulting enough to be a stimulating challenge. Hence it's a bad jab or bad spur.

>At first I thought you didn't know what the word "superstitious" means but then I realized your writing is just that bad.
Have you ever played at Tarot with women? Any coincidence between whatever gypsy waffle you come out with and their own lives will be given great significance. Coincidence is the mother of superstition. It's actually the entire soul of superstition.

How typically red-headed and sneaker wearing of you not to understand that.

Now, if that arbitrary description had somehow hit the mark, you would likely have felt a chill. That is the chill of superstition. Perhaps I wrongly assumed the mechanisms of superstition were more widely known than they are.

So-called life. That's the phrase you meant to use, isn't it?

My subsequent posts have dutifully dealt with the tone that emerged due to the bad behaviour of others, but I thought I was being very plain and modest in the OP.

Or are there really people out there who don't believe in reading levels and don't believe that they have accents?

Oh shit, this could work.

It's just classic trolling dude, we all know it. The spelling mistakes, poor sentence construction... the 'secretly I'm a genius but I'm just too lazy" attitude.

Yeah, you're right. He also clearly has graphomania.

Looks like you can't read properly. There are browser plugins.

How can we expect you to produce a classic young adult banger without the compression skills of an 8th grader?

He strikes me as being extremely handsome, but his tragic brooding nature means that he is not boyfriend material.

I heard he once killed a man.

I don't pretend to enjoy this, at all. June is going to be a gauntlet of misery, and not the fun kind of gauntlet.

I still don't know what it is or feel very inclined to find out. Is it the thing with the talking paperclip?

I'm aware it's not the thing with the talking paperclip, but that is genuinely how dim my view of whatever grammary is is.

What I need are statistics and maybe a thesaurus designed around word frequency so that I can choose more common variants of whatever words I use.

I don't know how to account for the inflamed sentiment ITT except for my bodacious style: how poorly would YA readers react to it? I mean, I would have to dress the heroine in rags just to make sure they don't think she's too uppity, with a style like mine. Are you starting to see why I regard numbness to style to be a good quality, something I have made no attempt to avoid?

When I open my eyes, purple light of dawn is flooding my room. I get out of my bed and raise the blinds. The city outside the window is still shrouded in the remnant of the night. Some lit windows of the buildings shine in the gloom. I hear the sounds of cars. A distant siren of a police car.

I get into the bathroom without turning the lights on. I only see my silhouette in the quasi-darkness. The average height for a 14-year-old boy. Two hands holding the rim of the washbasin. Two arms upright. Head slightly turned downward.

I hear nothing in the direction of my mother’s room. I normally refrain from nearing that realm of the apartment, but the lack of human presence comforts me. I carefully approach the door of her room. I listen in. Nothing. I am a good listener and our apartment has good soundproofing. I hear no breathing. There is no one inside. She is in some dude’s place somewhere in the city, as always.

I plop down on the sofa and turn on the television set. Colors and sounds pervade my consciousness. I respond to none. I just love that they kill the quiet in me, the unbearable silence that haunts me.

The sun rises and ousts the gloom from the city. Everything loses the purple hue like stonewashed jeans. I get up and wear my school uniform except for the tie, because it feels like it’s strangling me all the time. I’ll wear it in front of the school building. Then lose it again once I’m past Mr. Keenan.

I check my hair in the elevator mirror. The elevator stops at the 27th floor and a man in suit carrying a briefcase gets in. He eyes me briefly then loses his attention in his smartphone’s screen. I see it all in the mirror.

#

I cross a few blocks through the forest of buildings reflecting the morning sunlight, before reaching my school. One of few things I don’t hate about my mother is that she bought this apartment so close to the school. She definitely intended it to benefit herself, who works in this neighborhood too. But I do benefit from it. I don’t have to endure the hellish morning commute in this city. The rat-ridden subway, bedbug-ridden buses. But rats and bedbugs are okay. Their biggest problem is that, they are human-ridden.

A few early arrivers in the same uniform as me emerge from the subway exit in front of the school building. I pass the gigantic revolving door with a few of them.

Damn, I forgot to put on the tie. I hurriedly take the tie out of my pocket and accidentally elbows a girl next me.

“Watch it!” She snaps. Her navy-blue eyes are full of irritation.
“Sorry.” I say.

“You don’t sound like you’re sorry at all.” She snaps and walks away with her friend. Her brown hair bobs up and down to her irritated gait.

I see the girl and her friend approaching the scanner as I tie my tie. Mr. Keenan says hello to them but they ignore him. They scan their cards and pass the turnstile.

Geez, I didn’t even elbow that hard. She acted like I’m a plagued corpse or something.

I don't get it. This is the voice of a boy with a high opinion of himself.

The issue is that his high opinion of himself is passive and coy. I can imagine such a character slumping down onto a desk, burying his head in his hands, and peeking out to make sure someone is looking. This is not very charismatic of him.

But the biggest question is this: why do you think my stated intention to reduce my vocabulary would lead to this?

Do you not actually understand what reducing my vocabulary means?

Let me rephrase that one more time: do you have so much in common with the purple prose zit-faces you despise that you can't even imagine how reducing the total number of synonyms in favour of their high frequency standard equivalents could be a good thing?

Are you really "so over" your "so-called" purple prose phase, "dude"?

No, I think I need to rephrase it just one more time, to make sure the message is good and hammered into your head.

1. You believe that I was being sarcastic or in some way insincere when I said that I wanted to lower the reading level of my writing, and reduce the size of the vocabulary in use.

2. This is because you can't imagine how a smaller vocabulary could ever be better.

3. This is because you are immature and easily flustered by displays of searing literary panache.

What does Simon Cowell have to do with anything?

wow omg ur so smart