Cheese making

Anyone make cheese at home? I have some liquid rennet and citric acid coming in a couple days, I'm excited.

No, because ti's too expensive. I would do it but it has to be cheaper, and store-bought cheese is fantastic and cheaper than it can be made at home unless you have a couple of cows in your yard. Some people do.

i also agree it's not really worth it, but fun to teach nieces or nephews on a weekend

>store-bought cheese is fantastic

t. doesn't live in the US

I still want to do it but I want to start a cured meat of some type first. No doubt it's a valuable lesson but if you're not killing a calf/kid/colt for the rennin, the point is sort of lost.
I've been all over the world. US grocery store cheese is at the top of the list. You get what you buy, and you can buy it all here.

Apparently you need to get your hands on fresh raw milk or your cheese will be underwhelming at most and needlessly expensive as stated above.

What kind are you going to make? I would assume it will be something on the order of mozarella, barratta or ricotta since it's your first cheese. Are you planning on buying a press or rigging something up to do dry, aged cheeses?

Why would you get both? You only need one or the other to set your curd depending on your recipe. Did you order starter cultures as well? Also what recipe are you making?

T. Professional cheese maker

>Pic related today's batch

I've made vegan fermented nut cheese.

When I smell the yellow gunk underneath my toenail,it smells just like Parmesan cheese. What's up with that?

it's time to take a bath user. preferably with a toaster.

The same bacteria used to culture cheese can be found on the human body. There was a university that actually made fermented foods with bacteria samples from human sources.

is your autism so strong you couldn't resist the bait?

>getting honest-response-reverse-baited this hard

It's a fact dude I'm sorry. Besides how do you know user hasn't stepped on some fallen parm and been incubating some culture in his toe jam ever since?

kek
got more replies as bait

If you live out in the countryside it's not hard to get at reasonable prices. Just buy direct from the farmer.

I make paneer. Easy, high-yielding and actually cheaper than the few bastards who sell it retail and price a tiny UHT carton of the stuff as if it were some fancy-ass PDO cheese.

I bought a cheese making kit once
>instructions say don't use ultra-pasteurized milk
tfw looked everywhere, even the hippie stores and Whole Foods and can't find milk that isn't ultra-pasteurized.

I think that depends on how much cheese you eat.
Good luck buying a 2 kg wheel of aged cheddar at a store.
At least in Canada with our weird cheese laws.
It would be worth it if you ate cheese a lot but other than that it's just a fun hobby.

There's a difference between pasteurized and ultra pasteurized. Most milk isn't ultra pasteurized.