Questions that don't deserve their own thread thread

QTDDTOT Veeky Forums Edition

I never see these on here so I'll start one.

My gf made me lunch a couple weeks back by sauteing kale, mushrooms, and tomato together in some olive oil with some garlic salt.
It was pretty good and I wanted to make it myself but wanted to add some chicken.

Question is should I cut and cook the chicken before, during, or after I add the rest of the ingredients?

Also what's the best way to cook chicken in general? Slow with low heat, quickly with high heat? I always overcook my chicken.

slow & low after you saute the veggies

Thanks I'll give it a try right now. I'll post a pic in a bit.

Came out bretty good. Basically like a regular stir fry but kinda soupier. I think next time I'll add the kale till the end so it won't be so soggy.

Thanks for the help user.

Pic related.

Dude that was a meme to poison you

You brown the meat, take it out and then saute the veggies, then sauce them and let them mingle together

Anybody know about what'd it take to successfully die by hanging with little to no pain? I already know how to tie the knot and get rope but I'm worried about the drop. I don't think a chair will be enough of a fall, I'm also a heavyset guy, 5'10. Should I do it outside of my city ? I don't want my family to be stuck with bills for having to deal with my body. I thought about doing it in the mountains so some animals might eat me or my body could just decompose like that suicide forest in Japan

When you hit the end of the drop and your neck snaps, you go unconscious immediately and don't feel any pain. Your brain dies from lack of oxygen, but you're not conscious of that process.

So the ideal there is to drop from a good height, have the neck snap immediately and have it be done instantly without pain.

If you drop from too short a distance, you risk it being painful.

this user is right. who wants chicken without color on the cooked surface? you liked it so thats fine. but I would of >brown the meat, take it out and then saute the veggies, then sauce them and let them mingle together

Whats the difference between a stock and broth?
also
why do we have fluid oz. and oz. for weight? that shit pisses me off

You should give the suicide prevention hotline a call, dude. I'm serious.

add leafy vegetables the last couple of minutes and either sear fatty chicken and add it before anything else, or add lean chicken precooked/slowcooked last couple of minutes

What can I do with pecorino cheese? I've got a big chunk in my fridge that expires fairly soon.

What about, frying mushrooms until done and crispy, remove to plate, butterfly and brown/seal chicken (pre-seasoned) in same pan then finish off in oven before resting it on the mushrooms to keep them warm but not soggying them in a sauce. Saute tomatoes, add a bit of white wine (or at least a splash of wine vinegar, or both) to deglaze, add kale toward end. Slice up chicken, add that, mushrooms and juices and give the pan a few shakes in the juices, plate up?

I got halfway through that before realizing I don't know what we were trying to make, but I'm on mobile, so fuck it I aint going back, fuck you!

Stock is made from the bones of the animal (chicken or cow more commonly) broth is more from the fats and lower quality leftover meat which is why there is really to such thing as vegetable stock

"No such thing"
not to such sorry, not a touch typist

It's called stock because it's used in the applications that stock is used in rather than as a broth.

what applications would one use one over the other? also do you use add veggies to your stock or broth or both when cooking it?
stock/broth is one of the more confusing things when it comes to cooking food.

You can think of stock as an ingredient while broth is more of a base. Stock is mostly unseasoned while broth is seasoned. Also stock is a textural component (due to gelatin content) to things while broth isn't. I read or heard a good explanation of it and I'm trying to convey that as best as my memory can.

I time it to brown my meat just as my onion is halfway done so I can skip the take out the pan step but meh op fucked up hard either way.

I hate the taste of beer for the most part but seems like breweries are where my classmates enjoy inviting me and hanging out. Some beers even make me gag from just smelling it. I'll drink hard liquors but some of those beers are off putting for me
which beers don't have as much of that bitter taste and get me drunk?

Let's just assume the beer that will get you drunk is the one you'll drink the most of. Ever experiment with gose?

I made some chicken gravy today because I had some extra chicken from a whole bird I roasted last week and I couldn't tell you what the carton said. it may have been stock or broth. I ate it for breakfast this morning and it was delicious. besides salt and pepper and stock or broth? all I added was a quick butter/flour roux and some onions and celery I sweated, and a little corn that was left over. put it on some mashed potatoes and ate it with a biscuit.
don't take this the wrong way but I'm still confused by what should stock be used for and what should broth be used for. I kind of figured you could use either one for any application

never tried it
I wonder if there's some way I can sample a bunch of different types of beers without buying cases of fucking coors light. I remember that being awful

beer is disgusting. just take a flask with your favorite liquor. just don't get caught drinking it there. order a soda and dump some from you flask into it. tell the bar guy your the DD you might even get it for free

Stock is made of bones, so there isn't a strong meaty flavor since the bones have very little muscle on them. There is no salt in a stock either, so it isn't really usable in that state. The gelatin in the stock that comes from the collagen in the bones ads texture to the stock depending on how much collagen was converted and how concentrated you made the stock. It's not uncommon for a homemade stock to turn into a solid gel glob after refrigeration. This adds body and "silkiness" to sauces.

Broth is made from meat which gives it a meaty flavor and is generally seasoned, so you can just drink a broth. It's often the byproduct of something you're making. Broth conversely doesn't add anything to the texture since it has little to no gelatin. Also broth can be made from seasoning and cooking meat in stock. You can't make stock from broth.

You can use them interchangeably in many applications, but some things like thicker sauces benefit from using stock for the texture and body they provide.

tl;dr texture vs flavor. one can't stand alone, the other can.

Does anyone know what "nut butter" is? My roommate made me a creamy pasta for dinner the other night and it had this really unique flavor to it. I asked what it was called and all he did was snicker and say "nut butter" with this stupid grin on his face. It was kinda strange actually, I couldn't get him to tell me more about it. Do you guys have any recipes you use for this "nut butter?" Or at least know what it's made from? I've been craving more of it ever since.

What are the memes behind copper pans? I primarily use cast iron for everything at home, but i seen some "as seen on tv" garbage and thought they looked gorgeous.

Is there any difference in quality or texture for making ground beef if you grind fresh beef vs previously frozen beef?

What's the deal with flavored coffee grounds? Are the beans/ grounds somehow infused with flavor or do they essentially salt your grounds with spices? If the flavor is separate from the grounds, then is it possible to de-flavor the coffee?

Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?

Probably. Its not like sand niggers are immune to heat or anything.

Nut butter refers to any butter made of nuts, i.e., peanut butter, almond butter, cashew butter, etc. Your roommate was probably just being an idiot.

patched ground beef can be made with different cuts of beef while if you grind the meat yourself you can guarantee the quality of your ground beef while if you buy patched GB you can't

I really don't like egg yolk. I can't even stand it in scrambled eggs anymore. However, I feel bad throwing out the yolks when I cook eggs. Is there anything I could do with the yolks I don't use so they don't go to waste?

If the ratio is 3 parts oil to 1 part vinegar, then why the hell is it called a vinaigrette and not oilette or something?

Meringues, custard, mayo (and a whole bunch of other sauces), ice creams and curds, poach in soups/stews... so many uses.

because vinegar is still the chief flavor

Try otra vez by Sierra Nevada. It's sour

most regional/craft breweries put out a sampler six or twelve pack, just look for them at the liquor store

anyone? Or does this deserve its own thread?

Unfortunately I hate like most of those things as well. Crap.

Guess I could make them and give them away to other people though.

What? I'm asking if using grinding previously frozen beef is noticeably different than using fresh beef?

What are the little tasting dishes you see people use in anime called? They always use it to taste soup theyre making.

I don't drink but i've been experimenting with flavors. A bottle of Blue Curacao is $20ish. Would it be good as an ice cream flavor? as a thin gelatin spread over panna cotta? Just soda?

>I never see these on here
You want to know why? Maybe you should lurk more. But I will tell you why. Ready? Here's why...
Less than 10% of threads here deserve to be threads.
This isn't /g/. You can just ask your stupid question and watch it drop off, and then ask it again in a new thread while the other is still active.
It doesn't fucking matter.
QTDDTOT threads piss me off a bit because they are started by noobs who don't realize what I said previously.
Faggot.
Anyways, this was meant with love :) gl cooking chicken I'm sure it will turn out for what.

So how do I get into cooking?
Do I just start cooking after some recipes?
For example: I want to make some kind of salad that I can eat at work - I want it to contain tuna and quinoa plus whatever makes it tasty.
Where can I find a solid recipe for that?

No.
First you need to buy yourself good knife.

Kek
I had some but ruined them by putting them into the dishwasher.

How long can I live on nothing but spicy korean ramen, orange juice and coffee before I die? Orange juice for the vitamin C, milk in my coffee for the D, egg in the ramen for the protein, may or may not add carrot

Go to allrecipes.com and find a recipe that sounds good to you. Gather up the ingredients and follow the instructions. Do this and youre on your way to cooking more often.

I remember the first meal I made was some fajitas when I was 13, its been a joyride making food since then.

Ive never made bread until I found an online recipe for strawberry bread. I've been making this recipe for years for now. Ive made it for my girlfriends, for fundraisers, as a thank you gift to my bosses, and sometimes Ill make some with my date just because im comfortable cooking and they generally like taking directions as long as you know what youre doing.

One girl I dated actually asked me for the bread recipe and I told her I dont have it. Which is bullshit... Nobody is getting ahold of my lucky charms.

Ignore this guy, everyone is uncomfortable trying something new. Your knife is probably fine.

Pain is the scariest part about dying to me. I don't want my final moments filled with pain, uncertainty, and fear. Or wondering if this pain is THE pain that'll lead to my demise. If I have the foresight, helium bag all the way. I'm too afraid of hanging.

>allrecipes.com
Worst. Advice. Ever.

He might have been referring to 'nutted butter', which is when you brown your butter for a nutty flavour.

Do add carrot, or otherwise supplement vitamin A.

Also consider B12 supplements, I don't think you'd be getting enough from the egg.

Apart from that, pretty long, I guess.

You should also add some more fiber, just so you're not shitting your brains out....

Thanks for your input mate, good to hear that just starting to cook something is the right direction - a little hyped about finally learning something useful again.

Why does it have to be hanging? Are you afraid people will think you're a pussy for using an exit bag? You won't care what anyone else thinks when you're dead.

That looks like it wants cashews in it.

You will never get mushrooms to be crispy on their own.

In webm related, does the person use normal flour or self-raising flour? (I can read it's just that cakes normally use self-raising instead of normal)
Also wtf is Cornstarch in Dutch? Google translate gives me Maïzena but I don't believe it.

The cake rises a significant amount, so I would guess self rising, since there doesn't seem to be added any other gas-producing element.
Although, since all those egg whites were wipped into foam, it might just be regular flour, and the eggs catching all the expansion of the air trapped inside.

And cornstarch is Maizena, believe Google translate for once. Maïzena is finely milled cornflour. Corn = Maïs

I like your style, user.

Do Americans really consider obese women to be sexy? I mean, how can you justify a 300lb blob to be attractive?

Or is this just a meme and we're all being pranked?

Were you banned for a while or something? I didn't miss you.

Next time you make a thread OP don't use a picture in which somebody is holding a knife and produce like an absolute now-nothing retard. This is a cooking board.

only blacks. and only to cope

>I miss you

I miss u too, sweet tits.

I found darker beers are easier for beginners to stomach, but you can usually order a flight, 3-5 small portions of different beers on tap. Considering the variety of beers available at many breweries, saying you dont like beer based on drinking coors is like saying you dont like potatoes when all you know is biscuits 'n gravy flavored chips.

meat loaf
meatball
are they the same thing but shaped different?

No. Meatloaf is disgusting because it has ketchup on it. And has a tendency to use cheaper meat and a thicker texture.

I am German, and I use potato starch (speisestärke).

How should i cook a sheep liver ?

in order, sautee chicken thighs first. remove chicken from the pan when it's about 3/4 or more done. sautee the mushrooms for a good 8-10 minutes solo. add mushrooms to the pan and give it another few minutes. add chicken and kale back into the pan and crank it for a little while, then let it settle back to medium - another 3 minutes tops.

I see what you did there...

Thank you.

mince, mix with sauteed onions, egg, breadcrumbs and spices, form ping pong ball sized dumplings, simmer gently in some broth, serve as soup/entree. Leberknödel - a classic Bavarian/Austrian dish.

well I've tried a few others
yuengling, blue moon, some main beer brands come to mind as well

Any tips for cooking rice?
It's my first time cooking anything (not counting tea and coffee).
I'll eat it with canned tuna.

which is the 'healthier' option in the long term:

-binging on one 150g bag of crisps in one sitting once a week (ie after a few beers or with a movie etc)
-eating 5 standard 30g single bags (one bag a day) over the week

??

Just use a belt and a gallon of Jack like my dad did.

What does DD stand for in that context?

Designated driver

Many thanks, user

What the fuck should I eat for dinner Veeky Forums? Inspire me to surpass my current cooking power level. If I like the idea I will make a thread about how to do in a few hours after I get drunk.

White rice is always 2 parts liquid to one part rice.

You must always start the water boiling first and during that time you must rinse and wash the rice until the water is clear otherwise the starch will build up and boil over making a bit of a mess.

Once the water boils, lower the temperature to your stove's lowest flame and add 1 tsp of salt for every cup of rice you use and cover it with a tight fitting lid making sure you don't open it for the 20 minutes it takes to cook.

After that remove it from heat, fluff up with fork (just take a fork and go through the rice a couple times so it's not flat) and let sit for about 5 mins to firm up a bit.

Protip: Add a garlic clove or two when cooking the regular method to give a it a better flavor or use chicken bouillon instead of salt and add a large strip of lemon zest for godly rice

Thanks, user!

Are you really this retarded?

Hello?

Is it me you're looking for?

What the difference between:
Gelato
Ice Cream
Sherbert
Sorbet

no difference

>-eating 5 standard 30g single bags (one bag a day) over the week
this because i guarantee, just like myself, you will not account for the 150g bag in your calorie count for the following days

Would you eat cauliflower cheese and potato pierogi or should I just make my 7lbs of cauliflower into samosas?

How 2 make a not shit pizza

My go-to recipe for cauliflower is just steaming (or boiling) it until tender, then mashing it with a little olive oil, roasted garlic, and shredded parm. Toss the mash back into the oven for about 15 minutes to let everyone get to know each other in the pan. If you have a shit ton of cauliflower on hand I definitely recommend trying it.

hey co/ck/s, i just had an idea
>melt a small square of american cheese on a bun in the microwave
>use the bun on sandwiches
would this work, or am I retarded? has anyone tried this before?

Thanks, but that doesn't answer the question. Pierogi or samosa?

Make pesto with it.
If you leave it to dry outside on a rack (or crinkled foil if you cant be bothered) for a bit just to wick off the surface moisture, then cover with cling film and freeze it, it keeps pretty well.

Why is my burrito mix so fucking sweet?
I added a pinch of brown sugar to caramelise my onions but I added a shitload of cayenne pepper and chilli flakes. My own fault for not tasting as I go and adding more heat but I assumed it would border on too spicy with how much I added.

i wanna just crack a raw egg on a frozen pizza and cook it, would this work? i see you can bake eggs in the oven so if i just find a pizza with that bake length ill work right?