What books of the Old Testament should I read?

What books of the Old Testament should I read?

I'm familiarizing myself with the essentials of the Western Canon.

Bump

Everything except Leviticus and Deuteronomy

All of them. And then read the New Testament.

Don't miss the Apocrypha

All of them, now I'm hiding your stupid cunt pseud thread.

sage

bump :^)

Thank you for the input guys

Skip I Chronicles but don't skip the second since there's new stuff in there that leads into the next book. A lot of the minor prophets aside from stuff like Daniel and Jonah can be skipped but they're so short it's no bother to read them anyway. Most of the apocrypha can be skipped except the Daniel omissions and Maccabees. But really the Old Testament is surprisingly cohesive with each of the books building on each other in various ways, so skipping around will only give a shallow understanding. Even stuff like Leviticus I wouldn't skip just cause I think it's cool reading about the customs of a 3000 year old culture.

In all honesty, just read Genesis, Exodus, Samuel and Kings. There you'll find 99% of everything that is relevant in the old testament.

The books of Samuel are pretty lit. Also, Judges is cool too.

This.

OP, how does living such a soulless life feel? How do you manage to turn reading the Bible into work?

>Skipping Daniel, Job, Isaiah (one of THE focal points of the Bible), ecclesiastes, Psalms, song of Solomon, chronicles, lamentations, Jeremiah, proverbs...

You're a filthy philistine, even for literally purposes these are amazing books

The book of Ecclesiastes is pretty insightful

because he's probably not reading its greatest translation of all time, The Message

I read a beat-up paperback copy of this and enjoyed it. Surprised.

It's pretty cynical too.

Judges too, for the series of stories.

Well? non-Boetians read the entire Bible, right? As well as hefty chunk of both Talmuds and the Koran at the very least!

>Old Testament
>Western Canon
>Shiggy diggy doo, that book ain't for you, it's for a Jew

exactly

Start with the Nag Hammadi codices, then the Torah (in Hebrew, of course) then the Gospels, and then the Corpus Hermeticum. After that you should read Augustine, and honestly you could skip straight to Bede..

book of job.