Started a job at a deli

>started a job at a deli
>While co-worker was opening a new package of swiss cheese to cut, he accidently dropped the cheese in the trash
>figured we would have to throw it out now
>guy tells me we can't because our boss hates throwing out stuff
>co-worker takes the cheese out to go hose it down with water and let it dry before we sell it to customers

Other urls found in this thread:

cooksillustrated.com/features/8349-mushrooms-101-everything-you-need-to-know
mpg.de/8279621/methane_plants_methionine
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4177722/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

That's no big deal.

should have filmed it and blackmailed the head honcho to get you a new boss or you'd release the video to the local news, hurting sales in the store

"Why are you trying to blackmail us with a video of you doing something disgusting?"

agreed
what's even in the trash can behind a deli counter? scraps of stuff? wrappers? and it almost certainly gets changed daily. breathing around the product is probably contaminating it just as much.

Haven't worked much in food service have you?

>someone literally shits on the fresh cucumbers.
>"nah, don't throw it away. Just rinse it under some water. It'll be fine"

I once worked in deli and we also sold eggs and stuff like that, one day I started moving the eggs and one of them broke, it was fucking putrid, some of the other eggs had broken too and all the juice had been leaking under the table for a while, there was like a thousand maggots and I had to clean the whole thing, I got fucking sick of the smell.

Oh hey, I can tell my fun story too

>Delivery driver for shitty pizza place
>One night arms full taking 5 orders at once because understaffed
>Hot bags are old so the velcro doesn't hold
>One of the pizzas slides out as I'm walking to my car
>Falls out of its box also, onto the asphalt of the parking lot
>Look back at my manager who was out having a smoke break
>She tells me to just put it back in the box and take it, we are too busy and understaffed to remake it

I'm sorry whoever got that pizza

Guy was cutting the mushrooms in the slicer machine at the pizza place I worked at. Took them out of a big bin that the owner bought every couple days at the market or something. Was off draining the olives in the sink to cut them, thinking I had lots of time before he was done with the slicer. To my surprise, he got it all done very quickly. Usually this guy was a bit slow, that's why he ended up doing most of the prep, he wasn't a good delivery driver. I thought to myself "well shit, he's quick in the back at least".

Then I realized... I was at the sink. The bin wasn't wet.

HE NEVER WASHED THE MUSHROOMS. Apparently didn't know you had to. He'd been doing prep for months, at LEAST.

So to anybody who ordered mushrooms on their pizza at that place.. Shitty situation.

I work in a deli too. I personally throw out anything that gets on the floor but I wouldn't put it past some of my co-workers

Also no one is actually officially trained in food safety at the deli I work at so things like cooking temps and processes for cleaning are often ignored or not known

George did nothing wrong.

Commercially sold mushrooms are grown in sterilized dung, so they don't need to be washed. Getting them wet before cooking kinda wrecks their texture, because they absorb water like sponges. Your coworker was right, you are wrong.

That's disgusting. I worked in fastfood and that's not allowed at all. Your co-worker was probably just trying to protect his ass from your boss.

it says not to wash mushrooms on every pack i've ever bought

Love me some dung! Love those big black specs of dirt all over my chestnut shrooms!

Store delis are some of the most unsanitary establishments.
I've worked in many restaurants, and delis are always worst because they employees have no passion or care for food

It's really hard to have passion for fucking lunch meat and cheeses.

If I worked in an actual charcuterie where they actually sold high quality stuff I would be more into it. But no, I really don't care to describe the difference in taste between two pressurized meat logs of turkey to suburban white women.

Has George ever done anything wrong?

My old boss used to make me use rice and lentils and other dried grains that had pantry moths and weevils in it.

They either float to the top while cooking and you scoop them out or they blend in with the rice and the customer eats them.

He failed that IQ test pretty horribly. Spilled his coffee and sandwich on it too.

I also work in a deli. Along with selling cuts of meat and cheeses we also sell shit like pasta salad, tuna and shrimp salad, rice pudding, etc. by the pound.

>mfw my co-worker told me that our """fresh""" fruit salad is made from expired old fruit from our produce area in the store

You're supposed to wipe them with a damp paper towel. I'm not concerned about the soil being manure or whatever I'm just not going to eat dirt if it's that easy to clean off.

It doesn't really matter. Shit matters on stuff that you're gonna eat raw or that might have been grown in sandy soil. No one wants to get food poisoned or find grit in their food. Beyond that who cares?

>sterilized dung
first of all, what the fuck
second of all, bacteria are not the only issue, feces is full of all the stuff that wasn't supposed to be in the body in the first place, including lots of accumulated toxins

I'm glad I work at a nice grocery store, we're strict about that shit, at least as far as the actual groceries anyway, I haven't worked in the specialty departments

the vast vast majority of restraunts dont wash their mushrooms because water either breaks them down or the mushrooms absorb the water and become rubbery.

For good mushrooms, you just dont wash them, cook them properly, the bacteria dies, and you get the earthy flavor you're looking for. Mushrooms taste like the dirt they grow in anyways so if you're eating the dirt on them, it doesn't matter

what else does the store do with unsold produce? Throw it away? You idiot of course they'll sell it as the "fresh cut fruit" or put it in salads.

What do you think specials at restaurants are? Stuff the chef feels like cooking? No, it's it get rid of stock that's going off.

Welp guess I'll be eating at home tonight

you can still sell it to companies that need decaying plant matter, and failing that, yes it should be thrown away

The whole mushrooms I buy say to wash them before using, but the sliced ones don't need to be washed. This website says whole mushrooms don't really absorb water and it's fine to wash them, it's cut mushrooms that absorb water like a sponge.

cooksillustrated.com/features/8349-mushrooms-101-everything-you-need-to-know

>Should You Wash Mushrooms You’re Going to Cook? If they’re whole, yes. Although many sources advise against washing mushrooms (to avoid their soaking up any additional moisture) and suggest brushing them instead, once we learned that mushrooms are over 80 percent water we began to question their ability to absorb more liquid. To find out, we rinsed a batch in cold water, weighing them before and after their wash. We found that six ounces of mushrooms gained only about a quarter ounce of water, and most of this was beaded on the surface.

>Cut mushrooms are a different story. The exposed flesh will absorb water like a sponge, so rinse mushrooms before slicing them.

Look at this sissy, can't even eat a little bit of shit. What are you, some kinda faggot? It adds extra flavor and is part of the experience in eating a mushroom. The people that run the harvesting plants already clean them off and it's going into a 600+ degree oven. We as humans didn't evolve over tens of thousands of years to be bested by a little shit, you little shit.

It's not like it's rotting or anything. Food in general tends to last longer than the expiration date says.

It's really only an issue with foraged mushrooms.

>work at pizza place
>also has broasted chicken on the menu
>more often than not end up being the guy breading the raw chicken
>usually stored in big blue tupperware containers after being removed from the box and refrigerated
>one day, notice one of said blue containers next to the fryer
>it's covered in grease, which means its just been sitting there for months soaking it up
>ask the manager what's in the container
>"I don't know, open it."
>open it
>rotten chicken marinating in rotten chicken blood at slightly higher than room temperature for months
>the stench covers the entire restaurant before I can ever speak

I swear to god that funk hit me like a fucking wave. I was physically pushed backwards by the power of that stank.

This. Banana's don't even get good until they're brown.

>We as humans didn't evolve over tens of thousands of years to be bested by a little shit, you little shit.
Disease from shit was a major problem before modern toilets and sewer systems my dude.

Fuck, if there's one thing I can't handle it's spoiled chicken

I've smelled spoiled chicken that was kept refrigerated and it made me not want to eat chicken for a while. That must've just been absolutely dreadful.

>workplace smells and disgust
you ever dealt with recycling at a grocery store? recycled cans and bottles? I'd rather clean bathrooms nine times out of ten
all the liquid people don't empty out of their cans and bottles pools under the machines and recycle bins
between the liquid, the bins moving, and the various bits of stuff and come out, there are grooves carved out underneath the recycling bins, and these grooves are full of fucking fetid, fermenting, nasty-ass pop and beer and juice and wine coolers and whatever else can be sold in a returnable can or plastic bottle
one time I was out of things to do and I was told to clean under the machines, which lead to the only time I ever looked at my phone for an extended time during work hours (and getting said phone taken away) because holy fuck did I not want to do that
thankfully there was a long drain right in front of the bins, so I ended up using a mop like a broom and basically sweeping out gallons of this shitty liquid and the cans and bottles and bottlecaps that were submerged in it, and letting it flow into the drain and picking up the pieces
the nastiest thing besides the smell was the sludge
there was this unidentifiable sludge mixed into the liquid, it kind of looked like it was hair and... IDK, syrup or something stuck together along with some plastic and metal bits and soaked in rotten liquid; I just shoved it into the drain
and I thought the rough part of this job would be the people!

Kek this is spot on

>Went fishing with my dad and brother when I was younger
>We catch some perch and walleye, take them home, process, have fried fish for dinner
>Throw fish innards and corpse in a grocery bag and throw into outside trash.
>Flash forward a week
>I remember it being a particularly hot summer
>95+ in swamp ass Michigan
>Trash was picked up a few days ago so it's time to take the trash out
>Walk out to the bin and open it up.
>The most gut wrenching foul stench wafts from it
>It's probably comparable to huffing Rosie O'Donnell's used panties she had soaked in her own juices over the past week of smelly girl farts and not bathing
>Immediately start gagging
>Eyes blurred by tears
>Regret having nose
>Can't even throw trash into the bin

Apparently, when they had come to collect garbage that week, the fish had stuck to the bottom of the bin. There were maggots crawling all inside it, it was pretty foul. I can still eat fish, but I've still never smelled anything as awful as that.

>tfw there's a really old italian mom&pop grocerie store that's survived the corporate erosion of the modern age
>tfw it's got a deli counter in the back
>it's got the best fucking sandwiches in the city because they buy all their bread and meat from the surrounding little italy area

Between that place, the pizza, and the burger joints, my city probably has the best dining selection in the province, if not the country.

True, but that's raw preparations. It's hard to get sick off of something that's been cooked properly. As long as the mushies ain't bad, then you're probably good.

thats tame as fuck. try working at a steakhouse where the cook drops a steak on the floor, then quickly slaps each side of the steak on the griddle to "sanitize" it. then just wait for the customer to tell you the meal was absolutely incredible.

>mfw

>getting said phone taken away
wtf, were you working in an elementary school?

That's a really crappy way to look at things.
When I worked for a fastfood restaurant as a part-time job in high school and college, I took pride in making great burgers for people in a fast and efficient way, as well as keeping my counter and station clean and organized. And that's nothing but generic factory made shit there.
You can find some passion in work by thinking "Since I'm already doing this, I'll be the best person that can do this at the store."
Not all people can buy high quality stuff and they need a place they can trust to buy low quality stuff too.

>sanitize the steak
>by putting something from the floor that was stepped on by so many people, who also had to use the restroom, where flushing the thing causes literal fecal aerosol to cling on the floor of the restroom and all your employees walk around the kitchen with the shoes thatFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

yea bro. ive been in the industry a while now, i done seent some shit, from casual to fine to exclusive

I had a manager at a certain national pizza chain that would constantly over order produce.
>Tfw picking up a pepper and finger immediatly goes through the side of it
I'd tell him that half a case was waste. He told me to cut around the the rotten part, it's alright to use that. There's something super disgusting about peppers and how they rot. I quit and they eventually closed. Happily awaiting this awesome slider joint/old arcade that's moving from a nearby city cause of greedy landlords. It took me awhile to like green peppers again.

I would like to commend you on your spelling of the word "spoiled".

Man, that's a really fucking good tupperware container to contain that smell. I usually have to double-bag onions just to keep them from stinking up my fridge.

>It's probably comparable to huffing Rosie O'Donnell's used panties she had soaked in her own juices over the past week of smelly girl farts and not bathing

>stops chewing his pizza

one of my managers is a complete bitch
she's threatened to take my phone away for using it to check the time
she opened the door to the broom closet where I was and said "I'll take that" and I was surprised and ashamed and I gave it to her
I think it's in my contract somewhere
some of my friends previously told me that's illegal for them to do in my state but I don't know for sure and I wasn't about to lose my job over it

Honestly not that much worse than the fucking mold and filth that accumulates in old hot bags

Reminder that George was not justified here

Where u live white boy

Windsor Ontario, home of the third best pizza on earth.

I assume the coating of cooking oil sealed that shit in like wax.

Behind New York and Chicago? Do you have deep 'Za in leafland?

>Banana's don't even get good until they're brown.
only if you intend to make banana cakes.

ITT: People not handling the harsh truth. The food you eat is gross 99% of the time. Deal with it.

that reminds me of a story my friend told me once
>be my friend
>pls
>but serously, be working at pizzarea
>memorial day, store is closed
>time to clean out everything
>first time the building has been deep cleaned in 30 years
>move everything but the counter and the oven
>mice skeletons everywhere
>store had a rat problem, passed tense, so i suppose this is to be expected
>but wait
>that doesn't look like a rat skeleton
>thats a human finger
turns out, his boss, who was helping him been the whole place out, had chopped his finger off about, 5 years prior, never found the thing, until that day.

t. rashanajan

The fuck.

I did this and I feel no regret.

>6 oz of mushrooms gained only 0.25 oz of weight
That's still a lot.

>and most of this was beaded on the surface
so you could either just dry them off or let it evaporate when you go to cook them, they didn't actually absorb the water like a sponge

>7ml of water is a lot
really?

But he didn't write it, Elaine did.

Ay yo I'm right across the river. What's it called?

Correctly treatd dung becomes compost, who isn't smelly because it doesn't generate more hydrogen, which not only smells bad but it's also bad for the plants themselves.

Deep Dish? Fuck yeah we do. All the hometown pizza places have killed Pizza Hut, and there's only one or two Little Caesar's or Pizza Pizza places left in town. Nobody's willing to spend money of fast food cardboard pizza when the good shit is right next door.

Armando's Pizza. Honestly though? We have shitloads of great pizza places in Windsor. Koolini's, Cheez Wheelz, Krusty's, Capri, Naples, the list goes on and on.

I gave a shit at the beginning. I put a lot of care into the sandwiches I made for people, despite having the shittiest toaster in the world that was just a press which smashed the bread and didn't melt the cheese. But, then my boss told me one day I was too slow. So now, I half ass every sandwich as a sacrifice so I can speed things up. Granted, I still don't get complaints from patrons, but I honestly pity the fact that they are paying $9 for something I wouldn't pay $5 for.

The days I get to work actual production in the back kitchen (we sell stuff that is made in house as well) I love my job. I listen to my own music, throw together some badass potato salad. It's nice. and my coworkers give me compliments on all of the recipes I make. But I don't get to do that often, because the rest of the staff refuses to work deli shifts.

its something that literally grows in shit, man up a bit

this is why your paid minimum wage because you cant even half ass a sandwhich for money

This makes no sense. Standard hydrogen would just react with oxygen to create water.

If you meant methane, it's a standard hydrocarbon, and while I can find arguments that hydrocarbons being burned can cause plant photosynthesis problems, it seems more do with the impurities of for example burning plywood or car fuel (and I found a study of car exhaust effecting plants to varying degrees (sometimes beneficial) that suspected nitrogen to be a big influence to plants from car fuels), though a clean combustion of methane just creates carbon dioxide and water. Also it seems that plants themselves are a big cause of methane.
mpg.de/8279621/methane_plants_methionine

I found a study showing that cow dung does produce molecular hydrogen, and other studies about the absurdly low amount of it in the atmosphere, but this article explains that molecular hydrogen can be very beneficial to plants anyway.
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4177722/

At most, you wipe them with a damp cloth. You don't spray them with water.

hey windsor here too, probably gonna get pizza from armandos tonight

>I want weekends off.