If you graduated with a B.S., and do not know git, R, and LaTeX, you went to a shit university. Discuss

If you graduated with a B.S., and do not know git, R, and LaTeX, you went to a shit university. Discuss.

Other urls found in this thread:

r4ds.had.co.nz/
freepdfconvert.com/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Why would I need to be an R codemonkey?

Python is the only one you need.

Programming is for brainlets.

Freshman, B.S. in Biochem here.

I know git and LaTeX (but not R) from learning it on my own time. I agree that university should certainly teach these things to students.

I go to a liberal arts school, with pretty good science programs but little to no CS, and it hurts to watch some of my friends stumble around with the Java assignments they get when they could be learning better languages and using git for version control and even assignment submission.

My science major classmates format their papers horribly with equations they drew themselves with line elements in Word, only to have it backfire on them in printing.

I've seen students forced to use Python programs pre-written for their class assignments, when they could have easily designed them themselves.

My Stats teacher refused to teach how integration can be used to measure probabilities under a bell curve (she just showed us the unintegrated equation and told us to use Excel).

Modern university education has been designed to make us dependent on tools and programs made for us years ago, using a curriculum that teaches skills that haven't been useful since 2009.

Something needs to change.

fuck me, Billy, we got another truther

fuck Veeky Forums these threads die after like three posts wtf is wrong with this board

>Veeky Forums's a bad board because they don't respond to retarded b8 posts
Okay

looks like it worked

hehehe

nigger

>tfw graduated before R and git existed
op confirmed newfaggot

I learned Mathematica in college, then the company that hired me laughed when I asked for a license. Picked up R fairly quickly

Got LaTeX, R, Mathematica under my belt. Not git tho. BS in math and Econ.

>spending your life in front of a computer
No thanks

Youre biochem but wasted time learning git and presumably plan to learn other cs stuff. You can get away with it first 2 years but your time wouldve been better spent starting to learn whatever your focus is going to be or looking into research. And Latex is only worth it if you plan on grad school.

Idk why you care about stats or calc at this point either. Biochem = spectroscopy monkey.

Maybe consider a different degree if you care so much about cs and math

Tools/programs are used to save time and money + adhere to the business demand for worker drones out of college. My phys professor rants all the time about how students are expected to know so much now bc every business wants superhero worker bees out of college. And theres not enough to learn everything the proper way. Wed have to expand science undergrads to like 6 years at least which isnt happening in the US. Especially when the anti-college party is in control.

Hey fags, Econ grad here.
Want to learn R and Python, can someone give me some online resources and tips.

I'll be starting learning it from the next month.

Random youtube videos. I learned R and ggplot by asking some profs for datasets to practice with and made decent graphs.

I'm a pretty interdisciplinary dude, and I have had personal experience with the use of git in science labs.

>git
RCS
>R
PDL
>LaTeX
TeXmacs

Python is buggy and slow.

R is for retard

Learning coq is for intellectuals

Ye good point.

Are psy students being taught SPSS for any good reason other than to milk tuition fees from brainlets?

Most of the psychology community didn't have a strong math/stats/CS background, so they started using SPSS. Now it's ingrained in the community.

Nobody actually uses R.

>git
>R
Python, Matlab, C++, etc are better

>LaTeX
>implying anyone teaches you this

The University of Amsterdam teaches LaTeX in the first year

Agree with git (mercurial is the alternative for brainlets) and LaTeX. Indispensible tools for both the scientist and the engineer.
>R
Hahaha, no. R has plenty viable alternatives, such as Python, Mathematica or actual programming languages like C.

Furthermore, if R is indispensible for you, you are a brainlet-tier Statistician. (There are non-brainlet statisticians, but they most certainly don't require R)

Have you ever collaborated in writing LaTeX? Git is the patrician method to do this. It is excellent, as you can simply revert the bullshit the brainlets you work with write.

>going for a techie degree
lmao

i actually managed to know TeX however

delete this pic

>tfw I know all of these but still went to a shit university
fuggg

R has a fucking ton of resources, I was blown away when I decided to switch from Matlab.
r4ds.had.co.nz/ is a free web-book with lots of examples etc. Physical book is like 20 bucks on amazon.
There are plenty more, such as "The R Cookbook" or "Bookdown" (guide to make books in Rmarkdown).

The language has its shortcomings, but man, just rmarkdown justifies using it over many others (you can make python work with R fairly easily too). C++ and Fortran will still have a special place in my heart but R embodies what I think a scientific coding environment should be: easy to do shit, easy to document your code and reasoning, easy to plot results.

R is so comfy, goddamn.

Also latex a shit, xelatex is where it's at

>Idk why you care about stats or calc at this point either.
You don't know why stats and calculus are useful to a chemist?

Why not teach them R from first year on? With small steps it is feasible even for students with no math background. It would make psy a much more respectable field.

It's just so easy being an R pirate

git is a vendor locked horseshit, and R is an interpreted bullshit.

>git
>vendor locked
what the fuck are you talking about

probably thinks github==git

Nobody knows how to use git. All we do is type a bunch of commands and hope they work

Git just backup all the data in our CIA/NSA server Goyim.

R? Seriously? Why do I need that if I'm not a statistician? I do exactly nothing with statistics. Most of the people who I know that use R vehemently oppose source control of any flavor.

Why would I need to know R or git as a physics undergrad? I know matlab and some c++. Fuck learning another language. Will I need git tho?

>Something needs to change.
Yeah, your abuse of the English language and literary convention.

dat feel when you have an M.S. in statistics, can't do basic linear algebra/matrix algebra, but make $100k per year because you are an expert at using R.

KEK

anything you ever need to do that involves a spreadsheet is more easily done in R

1. Most professors don't have the R chops to teach it, nor do they want to work to learn R.
2. Psyc brainlets are already frustrated about having to learn stats, please tell them they have to learn "programming" too.

t. psyc grad

most of the psych students i ever knew didnt even really know stats, they just knew how to follow directions to plug data into spss

>dat feel when you have an M.S. in statistics, can't do basic linear algebra/matrix algebra, but make $100k per year because you are an expert at using R.
t. every industry statistician with 2+ years experience ever

Orly, where do you work user? I'm finishing my PhD and I've primarily used R most of my career.

we have to submit homework as pdf so you have to learn latex, but it's never thought.
That's a good way to do it imo because learning it is like 10min of googling.

if you work in a group and don't use git no one can help you.

my uni does bully everyone into using linux or at least macOS which I think should be supported

>git
a ridiculous claim

Biochemists definitely need more programming/math/physics in their programs, since a lot of the future is going to be data analysis/computational work.
t. "biochemist" too dumb to learn python.
Python is the best all around programming language for scientific coding.

What's the point. I work for GE and most people here cannot even handle excel. Engineering is full of dinosaurs.

python fucking sucks and it's a cancer on scientific programming

Some people are good enough at math that programming isn't a skill their employers care about them having.

I have a BS, MS, and PhD and I have worked at a NASA center for the past five years.
No one in my section uses R.
All real work is done in MS Word (although some might know Tex).
Only the code monkeys and systems engineers bother with git.
You should probably know this shit if you studied CS or engineering. Otherwise, fuck off OP.

I'm not going to deny that, we were told to use Dropbox, visual basic/some shitty stats software I've never seen since and could only be used on university PCs because it costs $200, and word with equations respectively. Had to learn

>horribly with equations they drew themselves with line elements in Word, only to have it backfire on them in printing.

Fake news

Unless your colleagues are retarded ofc.

Word's got a pretty solid equation editor

>biochemists
>data work
are you confused?

>python
>best all around
means piss all. in programming, you want the optimal language for the job not the best all around.
r, matlab and c++ are all better than python in that respect

REE|EEEE|
FUCK OFF PROPRIETARY FAGS

what kind of shit tier computing are you doing if r is better than matlab and c++?

I learned R because this one prof I had was really into it and I did work with him on the side, but it honestly feels like kind of a waste because I don't plan on going into stats. As others have said, it's a pretty comfy language/environment but it seems like everyone uses matlab/python/fortran

>Especially when the anti-college party is in control.
retard.

1. Teachers can learn just as well as students
2. University degrees should not be a cakewalk nor are uni courses designed to be entertaining
t. psych grad currently learning R after three years of "learning" SPSS

Guess that means "courses" aren't designed for learning. Who can learn when the material isn't even being presented in an interesting way? What a waste.

Ok fuckers. So I'm a chemist interested in going into analytical where a lot of stats is needed. I've been learning python for the past 6 or so months as I thought it was the standard language in the industry. Should I change my focus to R instead? I don't care which is the best language, I care about which one is going to make me a more attractive candidate for a job in the industry.

>needing R
enjoy being replaced by Pajeet

probably computations in industry that actually get shit done and produce nicely-presented data as opposed to some autistic undergraduate programming assignment

also matlab is horribly slow and gives the user very little control. what kind of shit tier computations are you doing where using matlab is better than R or Julia?

>the virgin undergrad said as he failed his intro to Python class for the 2nd time
>meanwhile, the Chad Researcher slides his thick Python into fresh hot data on the daily

if you're really learning how to program, then it should be fairly simple to switch from one language to another
keep learning Python, and start picking up some R on the side
eventually, what program and libraries you use will be dictated by your employer/lab/whatever, so you'll need to learn something new anyways

Hey Cunts,
What should I learn first among R and Python. I'm doing Economics..

>taught myself latex, git, and lisp for free
>people actually pay for this when the programs and documentation are free
kek

freepdfconvert.com/ no need for stupid latex

It's very difficult to be worse than C++.

It is, but there are extremely clever people out there that managed to make PHP and Python anyway.

keep learning python if you’ve already started. Especially if you have no other programming experience, it’s good to have one language you know well than 7 you only know to “hello world” in.

I use MATLAB at work and it’s fine for what it does. It’s actually quite fast if you get to know the language. Btw, I’m not a MATLAB enthusiast by any means (this is my first post in the thread) but it works well for parsing many large databases.

B.S. in physics here, i wrote my damn bachelors thesis in word and it was the worst. taught myself latex after it

R

I am a researcher. I've used python before for my research. It's garbage.

Only if you're a fucking brainlet lol.

I have codes that run hypersonic flow over a surface to do fluid structure interaction that I coded in python and c-like python that I run on clusters weekly. Don't suck, it's not hard.

researching cock with your mouth doesn't count

Again if you're a brainlet. You can do anything with Python if you know what you're doing all the way from AI to CFD to basic stats to symbol solving.

You can also do anything you want with Fortran or Haskell or Brainfuck. That doesn't mean it's a good idea to waste time doing it.

R, like Java and a small number of other languages, are among the things I learned in uni but never really used after that. for Java, it was because I'm interested in a different type of software system than what is commonly build using Java. R simply wasn't ubiquitously usable enough to really compete with Python, which is worse than R in some respects but the amount of ready-to-use or almost-ready-to-use code out there is just baffling.

so yeah, I liked R and I agree it (or something comparable and open source such as Python, as opposed to licensed stuff like Mathematica and Matlab) should be taught in uni to people who do science. git is simple enough to use nowadays if you have someone set up the hosting etc for you that i would argue you don't even need to learn much and LaTeX, well, let's just say if you wrote your thesis, project work or whatever in MS Word, you should kill yourself right now for being an inefficient waste of oxygen.

>claiming doing anything in Python is slow to do, thus inefficient
>throwing Haskell in with Fortran, and both of them with Brainfuck, to make any kind of point at all
>so obviously dunning kruger

i'm sorry, mate, but you clearly don't know enough about these tools to reason about them in any meaningful way. i'm glad you've found your way with R or whatever it is that you're using, but if you were "wasting time" putting something together in Python, you were simply using it wrong.

both are fine.

well, it turns out, considering the purpose of the language, it's actually quite hard to be better than C++. rust is living proof of that - it's better, but it's having a hell of a hard time getting there.

please don't ever compare C++ to R, Python or any language that doesn't compile straight down to ISA level if you need it to again.

neither of those is competing with C++. also, PHP is irrelevant in the core domain of Python and vice versa, but even if they weren't, Python would beat the living shit out of PHP in every area you could compare them in, no question.

>rust is... better
if you're an SJW maybe

O'boy, the number of fuckbois fresh from university I've interviewed who only know R and math is silly.
Not impressed and you're not getting the job, get the fuck out of here.

I'm currently a Sophomore in MatSci and Eng right now and I know Java, thanks to AP CompSci A, and Python. Currently looking at SageMath since I am too poor for Mathematica. What languages should I know if I want to go into industry? I'd like to do mathematical and computational modeling of materials.
Yes, I'm aware I probably won't be doing that in industry.

Senior BS Biochem here

Went whole undergrad not knowing any programming. I'm taking an intro comp sci class right now to fulfill my last gen ed., where I'm learning Python.

I don't know if I'd call my university shit. It's a state uni - I guess maybe that's shit to some people - but my professors were mostly great, the classes interesting, research was cool and I feel like I got a lot out of my education. I got accepted into a PhD program at a higher rated uni, and things are going swell.

I'd still recommend some kind of programming for any science major, but, declaring universities shit because you don't know a particular thing that isn't necessarily required for an area of study seems a little over the top. Maybe in 10 years I'll feel differently.

Depends on your application. Take a continuum mechanics class, a continuum mixture theory class if your university has one (doesn't matter if it focuses on biological materials it's good to know and fully translatable) then take a computational structural mechanics class. Get good at FEA, Finite Difference and Finite Volume (less applicable to you unless you consider heat transfer). I'm doing FSI models of ceramic matrix composites for hypersonics aircraft, and I do it in python because it's faster than matlab and still readable to my engineering level of coding skill. For the love of god know your micromechanics for whatever it is you're modeling. A ton of people suck at it. Granted I'm also a PhD candidate so that's warped me I'm sure

Thanks user.
About your PhD, what are your career plans afterwards? I'm afraid of getting one and right now plan to stop at a Master's since I'm afraid a PhD is too much to pay for a lot of employers.

Why? Biochemists aren't specializing to analyze data that's for statisticians. I don't understand why every discipline has to be good at everything. Then we end up with people dividing there interests and not performing optimally. I get being well rounded but if we change the definition of well rounded to mean sufficient in 3 different languages that are important for data analysis, that makes pursuing data analysis in undergraduate obsolete. It also leads to people who are passionate about biochem being weeded out due to lack of analytical skills in a context that they shouldn't be tested on in the first place. It's inefficient.

We'll I'm a US born male and the military industrial complex is always looking for great engineers. I've got connections at Northrop and Lockheed, still haven't decided which I'm gonna take. I'll be doing black projects research. I started in biomedical engineering, got interested in CFD in aneurysms, then moved to planes, got good at aerodynamics and took my already great materials modeling (continuum model of the brain) and moved into aerospace. As my Italian-born co-advisor says "This is America, never tell someone you can't do something, tell them you can with enough time and money and figure it out as you go"

the language is just a good language, that's all i'm saying. i personally think codes of conduct are overrated as fuck and the contributor covenant is straight up garbage, but as long as you're neither part of the core language project nor are an insufferable retard incapable of tuning your behaviour to your environment, i assure you, it's completely fine.

on a more general note: once all of this sexuality-gender-focus goes out of style, which it inevitably will because people will righteously stop giving a flying fuck about a. who fucks who on their own time and b. who wears what costume in their spare time and that'll be the end of that. when that happens, "code of conduct" will just be another file in the project root like licenses currently are; they'll only say the most obivous, mundane bullshit you can imagine and they're basically only there for legal reasons.

Lol youre putting words in my mouth. I said nothing about efficiency. I was making a point about suitability of the language for a given task.

I don't really understand the point of rust, it seems to want all the benefits of haskell with all the benefits of lisp while trying to appeal to curly-brace kids. These things are simply incompatible for very good reasons and I think the language is doomed to be just another pile of shit at the end of the day.

But even if it isn't my thing I still think that a language is only as good as its community, and I learned about the community before I learned about the language, so that's that for me and rust.

That said even with the SJWs it's better than C++ so I genuinely wish them luck.

how the fuck does gender bs have to do with coding? should i just off myself right now? wtf world is this