Why does the inner face of the moon have a a bunch of large impact craters too...

Why does the inner face of the moon have a a bunch of large impact craters too? Meteors/comets don't come from the surface of the Earth.

I think there is more to the story of the moon than most scientists like to think.

Other urls found in this thread:

slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014/07/01/the_moon_s_two_faces_why_are_they_so_different.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libration
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>I think there is more to the story of the moon than most scientists like to think.

You think ?

A perfect ball with the perfect apparent diameter for a total solar eclipse and that rotates around the Earth at the exact same speed as it rotates around its own axis.

Very convenient.

This guy FUCKS.

The crust is thicker on one face. >slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014/07/01/the_moon_s_two_faces_why_are_they_so_different.html
Where the crust was thin, lava flowed up to fill in craters and form the Maria.

The Moon's orbit is not a perfect circle. Sometimes it's nearer to Earth than at other times. If it passes across the Sun when it's farthest from Earth, it's too small to cover the Sun completely and we only get an Annular Eclipse.

It's only coincidence that Sun and Moon have (approximately) the same angular sizes. The Moon is receding from the Earth a few inches a year. Eventually, ALL eclipses will be Annular.

Because of the changing distance, the Moon's orbital velocity (and the number of degrees it travels each day) also varies. But its rotation-rate, measured against the stars, is uniform. As a result we don't ALWAYS see the same face. It wobbles back-and-forth a little bit over the course of a month. This is called "libration".
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libration

>he crust is thicker on one face. >slate.com/blogs/bad_astronomy/2014/07/01/the_moon_s_two_faces_why_are_they_so_different.html
>Where the crust was thin, lava flowed up to fill in craters and form the Maria.

This doesn't answer the question. This doesn't even actually concern the question.

>he Moon's orbit is not a perfect circle
he never claimed it was
>it's only coincidence!!!
that's the entire point you nonce, there's never ONLY COINCIDENCE. the result of the flowing away also CANNOT be a simple coincidence.

>/v/ sucks at video games
>/tv/ has shit taste in movies and television
>Veeky Forums is literally retarded and has low level reading comprehension skills

It DOES answer the question. Both faces were pockmarked but the Maria mark area where the craters were obliterated by lava flows.
Read the first link for the theories on WHY one face had a crust too thick to let the lava out.

You literally didn't read the question if you think that answers the question.
You simply didn't read it.

I'm not going to do it but I think a statistician could write a good paper about the unlikeliness of the distribution of dark spots on the light and dark sides of the moon. I wonder if it rises to 5-sigma.

The Moon used to be closer and appeared larger than the Sun. In the future it will be further and appear smaller than the Sun.
Somewhere in-between they have to be ABOUT the same size. I was trying to emphasize that they they're not exactly the same apparent size. The picture shows there's quite a bit of variation.

When you say "CANNOT be a simple coincidence" you're just revealing ignorance.
The reason for the Moon's gradual retreat is well known, BTW. Nothing supernatural.

Have it your way.
It's the work of the Illuminati.
Now that you know, we'll have to kill you.

>It's the work of the Illuminati.
never suggested this.
leave it to a "superior intellect" to project stupid shit onto others when they cannot answer a question.

>Quoting slate.com
Wew lad

Nigga hasn't heard of tidal forces

like the pic in there's a shitload of actual space between the Earth and the moon and asteroids or other space stuff fly between us all the time, especially in the solar system's infancy. the virgin moon, having little atmospheric protection, takes smacks to the face a little rougher than our Chad Earth does. that's why there are craters on the whole thing. you should look up the backside pic, it's way more fucked up

The near side of the early moon just happened to get struck extremely hard which cracked the surface and allowed lava to flow and form Maria. IRCC from astron class.

oh and as an addendum, if you think those dark splotches on the surface are impact craters, you're fucking retarded. lik e said, those are the maria, which is a fancy latin way of saying "sea", which only makes sense if you think a giant pool of lava is equivalent to an ocean. hopefully this thread dies now. have a good day!

Ancient astronomers actually thought they were oceans, that's why they're called Maria.

man I'd be way more into building a moon base if those were actually oceans

The moon wasn't always tidally locked.
Also, near misses from Earth hitting in the inside, asteroids in Earth orbit crossing the orbit of the moon, etc

>there's never ONLY COINCIDENCE
So anyone who misses their flight only for the plane to crash killing everyone on board is not coincidence?
I suppose you're going to chalk it up to god.

Because impacts don't happen in a straight line.

this

Got hit before getting tidally locked.