I've been flirting with Moby Dick and Anna Karenina for the past couple days. Which one should i commit to?

I've been flirting with Moby Dick and Anna Karenina for the past couple days. Which one should i commit to?

>Which one should i commit to?
Suicide

Are you so lacking in backbone and conviction that you need others to tell you what to do? Fucking faggot

im cant fucking decide which doorstopper to dedicate a month of my life to so i went to lit to get some opinions you fucking dolt

>im cant fucking decide

Reflect on why not

>i went to lit to get some opinions

Reflect on why you did so

You should undoubtedly read both. Why not at the same time?

Depend are you a prissy wanker or are you going to read Moby Dick?

both, enjoy, my man, they are amazing

Moby

Tolstoy is a chore if youre not reading in russian

Anna Karenina sucks. Read Moby Dick. I've read both, if you want to read a novel about a slut, do that, but if you want to read the best prose you've ever read, (unless you have supped upon Ulysses) then you should read Moby Dick.

Ive been leaning towards Melville anyway. I dont know if its the translation or just obsolete literary standards, but Tolstoy just sounds stilted to me

n-no but im a prissy sissy, im not allowed to wank my clitty :3

Bump for similar predicament.

Ulysses or Moby Dick? I feel that Ulysses is more relevant to my academic and artistic interests, but Moby Dick is more grandiose and beautiful. The latter could challenge my interests and push my style.

What are your experiences?

Why the fuck would any self respecting man read Anna Karenina?

Depends, have you read Portrait of the Artist and Dubliners yet? If not just read Moby Dick first.

Anna Karenina.

Moby Dick is boring as shit. Anna Karenina has the most perfectly written characters in literature and its just an all around perfect book. Make sure you read either the Marian Schwartz or Maude translations.

Moby Dick is SO FUCKING GOOD

Read Portrait a few months ago, Dubliners a while back. Should I revisit Dubliners first? I only remember "Araby" and "The Dead" well.

Both, they're two of the best books in the English language. Moby Dick is more cohesive and dramatic, Ulysses can kind of feel like a sample platter of skillfully executed styles. I liked my first readthrough of Moby Dick better, if you wanted a recommendation.

I like Anna Karenina but yeah, Moby Dick's got some astonishing prose. "Circumambulate the city of a dreamy Sabbath afternoon." When I read Moby Dick I can almost hear wooden boards creak and ships' ropes slide on a deck, feel the great mystery of the whale - or whatever it is - out there. The idea that the whale has been seen on opposite sides of the planet at the same time makes my hair stand on end.

Moby Dick.

Anna Karenina is as retarded as shit. Moby Dick has the most perfectly written sentences in literature and its just an all around perfect book. And the best part is since you're on a primarily English-speaking board you don't even need to read any translations.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm leaning toward Ulysses at the moment, only cause I think it'll be easier to read Moby Dick when I have more going on than it will be Ulysses. Maybe I'll feel differently soon, though.

>implying Ishmael isn't a prissy wanker and actual fag
>muh waking up in bed with Queongquee's majestic royal negro arm drapped over me, oh the swooning

I'd definitely revisit Dubliners. There are characters from the stories that play a part in Ulysses.

>Moby Dick
>Doorstopper

Kys yourself

slut

> people claiming Anna Karenina is a shit

Guys, I love Moby Dick's sublime prose as much as the next guy, but can we not shit on Tolstoy's very respectable reputation? Both are gorgeous novels which should be read by anyone interested in literature.

Suck Moby Dick, gaylord

Ishmael may be a fag but that doesn't make him a prissy wanker

Moby Dick famalam

Pick literally any quotation of Ishmael in the entire novel, type it here, and then tell me he isn't a prissy wanker.

I'm not gay but I would sleep with queequeg

Tolstoy is hit and miss when translated. A few sections of each of his works are incredible, and he structures his sentences very well. I may have enjoyed Moby Dick more, but the last three sections of Anna Karenina make it one of the best reading experiences I've ever had to this date. I also loved the section in which Vronsky and Anna visit the artist.

People here unironically saying Anna Karenina "sucks" and is "boring as shit." Absolutely embarrassing, filthy plebs, all of you.

I haven't read Moby Dick, but the only good thing in Anna Karenina is my boy Levin.

people have a hard time with "X is good and Y is also good"

or i doint know, maybe this board is full of geniuses who HATE anna karenina, probably because having strongly contrarian opinions about canon books is very VERY interesting. if i was a chick my panties would be soaked at all these quirky opinions

also whats with all the "muh translation" fags, can any of you actually read russian? if not, who are you to talk about this? how do you know how well or poorly Tolstoy is being translated if you dont know what you're talking about, i.e. any russian at all? durr i did 6 levels of duolingo candycrush now i pretend to understand russian on Veeky Forums

god this board is so full of fucking pseuds

>god this board is so full of fucking pseuds

stop letting these idiot kids meme on you so hard you dope of course they are talking shit. none of them can speak ancient greek either but they will
>translations
meme just for reactions like yours.

don't tell me how to react to shit you dirty pseud, i got your number and you're trying to one up me

>i got your number

yeah it's #1

cuz i rule and u drool