ITT: Painfully underrrated authors

>ITT: Painfully underrrated authors

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/fhKB7dXN7H0?t=260
twitter.com/AnonBabble

who? i'm curious

Marie Louise de la Ramée a.k.a. Ouida. She was quite big at the time, but fell into obscurity after her death. She's the author of A Dog of Flanders and a bunch of other novels. And they're pretty good.

>womemes

Fuck off to your containment board.

t. has a vagina

>Woman author
Sick of this meme, head back to readdit

I wasn't intending to post in this thread but seeing how virgins rage at a sight of a woman, I just couldn't help myself with it.

Doris Lessing

youtu.be/fhKB7dXN7H0?t=260

is she, dare I say it, /ourguy/?

>Is she /ourguy/?
Well, she certainly looks like one

go to 4.20

Barbara Pym

yolo blaze it

Adolf Hitler

William Shakespeare

What did you read by her?

this man

Amalgamemnon.

She was my professor's old colleague

Ouida was known as a guilty pleasure even at the height of her popularity

So did British literature.

I just finished Infinite Jest

The only critique i can make of Dfw is he was trying so hard to be pretentious that his work comes off as im better than you look at what i can do, and that if you dont understand all the references he makes you feel inferior

That being said the man is a legend. For what he was trying to do with IJ, the style of it, he surpassed it 11/10. The book made me recognize how plebeian i am, a not college educated 22 y/o white male who while being leagues above most college graduates is still a toddler when it comes to literature.

His critics can only attack his superficial qualities and never can attack the man at his core, a deep thinker who could see the world at macro and micro levels, and whose artisic vision was wholesome and complete as it can be

Veeky Forums mocks him and his tics, idiosyncracies only because they recognize that he was in a league of his own, that his claim to fame was the marked distinction of a change in the literature game, a once in a generation award that so far authors attain. New Sincerity is not a joke. It is a vibrant subtle return to the security that modernity provided, a foundational approach from the supportless trap of postmodernity, the endless regression of vagueness that so many of the postmodern staples fell into. Within New Sincerity is clarity, a sense of understanding and enriching of the soul that the postmodern elite hoped would vanish.

With DFW the new generation of authors find their beginning. This is why he is underrated even among his fans. He marks the beginning of the next wave of literature in the world.

Is this pasta

Lord Dunsany
Critically acclaimed during his lifetime but fell into obscurity.

I read Cranford, it fucking blew. Gaskell was a commercial author. There's a reason she isn't remembered.

>The Flying Inn is the final novel by G. K. Chesterton, first published in 1914.
>It is set in a future England where the Temperance movement has allowed a bizarre form of "Progressive" Islam to dominate the political and social life of the country.
>Because of this, alcohol sales to the poor are effectively prohibited, while the rich can get alcoholic drinks "under a medical certificate".
>The plot centres on the adventures of Humphrey Pumph (see also Humphrey Pump) and Captain Patrick Dalroy, who roam the country in their cart with a barrel of rum in an attempt to evade Prohibition, exploiting loopholes in the law to temporarily prevent the police taking action against them.
>Eventually the heroes and their followers foil an attempted coup by an Islamic military force.

Was Chesterton the most prescient writer of all time?

I mean to post this as a new thread, but I suppose it fits into this one as well. I find his novels to be extraordinary. They're so good they're almost as good as his essays.

Whoa, I had never heard of that one but it sounds amazing. I'm reading it next.

It's fucking great. Here is Chesterton making fun of modern art:

>You have coome," said the beaming Prophet, "to see the decoration? It is approo-ooved. I haf approo-ooved it."

>"We came to see the Post-Futurist pictures," began Hibbs; but Leveson was silent.

>"There are no pictures," said the Turk, simply, "if there had been I could not haf approo-ooved. For those of our Religion pictures are not goo-ood; they are Idols, my friendss. Loo-ook in there," and he turned and darted a solemn forefinger just under his nose toward the gates of the gallery; "Loo-ook in there and you will find no Idols. No Idols at all. I have most carefully loo-ooked into every one of the frames. Every one I have approo-ooved. No trace of ze Man form. No trace of ze Animal form. All decoration as goo-ood as the goo-oodest of carpets; it harms not. Lord Ivywood smile of happiness; for I tell him Islam indeed progresses. Ze old Moslems allow to draw the picture of the vegetable. Here I hunt even for the vegetable. And there is no vegetable."

More.

>"And I do trust the untried; I do follow the inexperienced," he was saying quietly, with his fine inflections of voice. "You say this is changing the very nature of Art. I want to change the very nature of Art. Everything lives by turning into something else. Exaggeration is growth."
>"But exaggeration of what?" demanded Dorian. "I cannot see a trace of exaggeration in these pictures; because I cannot find a hint of what it is they want to exaggerate. You can't exaggerate the feathers of a cow or the legs of a whale. You can draw a cow with feathers or a whale with legs for a joke—though I hardly think such jokes are in your line. But don't you see, my good Philip, that even then the joke depends on its looking like a cow and not only like a thing with feathers. Even then the joke depends on the whale as well as the legs. You can combine up to a certain point; you can distort up to a certain point; after that you lose the identity; and with that you lose everything. A Centaur is so much of a man with so much of a horse. The Centaur must not be hastily identified with the Horsy Man. And the Mermaid must be maidenly; even if there is something fishy about her social conduct."

>"No," said Lord Ivywood, in the same quiet way, "I understand what you mean, and I don't agree. I should like the Centaur to turn into something else, that is neither man nor horse."
>"But not something that has nothing of either?" asked the poet.
>"Yes," answered Ivywood, with the same queer, quiet gleam in his colourless eyes, "something that has nothing of either."

>"But what's the good?" argued Dorian. "A thing that has changed entirely has not changed at all. It has no bridge of crisis. It can remember no change. If you wake up tomorrow and you simply are Mrs. Dope, an old woman who lets lodgings at Broadstairs —well, I don't doubt Mrs. Dope is a saner and happier person than you are. But in what way have you progressed? What part of you is better? Don't you see this prime fact of identity is the limit set on all living things?"

>"No," said Philip, with suppressed but sudden violence, "I deny that any limit is set upon living things."
>"Why, then I understand," said Dorian, "why, though you make such good speeches, you have never written any poetry."

Paulo Coelho.

It is now, you're welcome

No.
Discernible.
Talent.

every author on this chart is underrated

have read 50+ of those, barring most of the modern crop of American writers.

and I still think the list is very incomplete and has some overly overrated stuff on it.

only internationally
but you're right, he deserves as much praise as possible

Wow this is great. Why did I not hear this masterpiece before?

My g

Henry Green - read Party Going if you want a nice mix of Carry On and Beckett.

Is there a lit approved chart or guide for reading joyce?

>a not college educated 22 y/o white male
>leagues above most college graduates

>still a toddler when it comes to literature
>goes on to ramble about New Sincerity and ""next wave""
This is exactly the type of person that would praise this mediocrity. Not sure if sincere or pretending, but thank you for excellent pasta either way.

Lawrence Durrell, I never get tired to recommend him.
He's a great poet and one of the best novelist of the 20th century

>Byrne: Is it getting harder to speak your mind, or easier, do you think?
>Lessing: Easier. No-one's going to put you into prison at the moment, for speaking your mind ... or banning you. Luckily I'm not a Muslim in this country - they're having a bad time.
Obviously never got away from her Communist brainwashing the way she identifies Muslims as victims a month after 9/11. Frankly, Muslims have a bad time everywhere when it comes to speaking their mind freely because Islam doesn't allow it. I wonder what Lessing thought after 7/7. Probably the same considering she said the following in 2007:
>"September 11 was terrible, but if one goes back over the history of the IRA, what happened to the Americans wasn't that terrible.
>"Some Americans will think I'm crazy. Many people died, two prominent buildings fell, but it was neither as terrible nor as extraordinary as they think. They're a very naive people, or they pretend to be.

>shilled by rabid brazuca apes in every thread about romance/lusosphere literature as le better cervantes
>actually a painfully mediocre national tier meme author

William Maxwell

Harold Bloom did not like her, therefore by default she is not /ourguy/

Here's the offical list of everything you need to read before Ulysses:
A brief history of Ireland
Dubliners
A portrait of the artist as a young man
James joyce by richard ellmann
Hamlet
The odyssey
The bible
Hero with a thousand faces
Paradise lost
faust
Don quixote
Grimma fairy tales
sound and the fury
The sun also rises
Infinite jest
The 48 laws of power
Hittchhikers guide to the galaxy
House of leaves
Game of thrones
The electric koolaid acid test
Fear and loathing in las vegas
Tao te ching
Bossypants by tina fay
Pulp fiction: the screenplay
1000 movies to see before you die
Winslow homer: paintings
The letters of wolfgang amadeus mozart
The bradygames final fantasy 7 strategy guide

Guy du massapont

Congrats, his inheritance is split between Stephen King and GRR "Diabetus" Martin.

I actually saw this book at my campus library and thought "huh" but had never heard of the author, so I passed on.

You had never heard of Chesterton...?

I highly doubt they have read him. You haven't read him yourself.

>but seeing how virgins rage at a sight of a woman
Imagine having such a fluoride saturated brain that you think this. Why the niggery fuck would a virgin rage at the sight of a woman?
Bulldykes, gold diggers and baby boomers that lost all their retirement money rage at women. All of which are far from virgins.

I have, but nice assumptions. Anyway, you missed the point. His influence went two ways: to Stephen King through Lovecraft, and Martin through Tolkien. Dunsany's influence on Lovecraft, especially, is unmistakable.

So there is no list. I just keep reading and re-reading it until I get it, or I die.

If you want to get every single reference just get the annotated edition.

You're assuming that king was influenced by Lovecraft's "Dream Cycle" stories, which he was not. That's like saying Bukowski was influenced by Rabelais because Henry Miller was influenced by him.

Süskind is god-tier

Dude, Stephen King has cited Lovecraft multiple times. Not to mention both It and Dreamcatcher owe a lot to Lovecraft for its cosmic horror/mythos. It itself was an ancient being that existed before the universe. Sounds pretty Lovecraftian to me, bro.

Anyway, my point was, Dunsaney's legacy has rapidly dissolved into genre garbage. I was defending him, friendo.

Yeah a lot of foreign leftists had a hard time concealing their schadenfreude. They'll write "impassioned pleas" for the poor innocent brown children who get blown up by drones but when white people in a western country die it has to be "put in perspective."

salvador elizondo

She's right about 9/11 though. And don't be fooled Americans are not naive people. DH Lawrence said as much about us.

>Why the niggery fuck would a virgin rage at the sight of a woman?
Why, because of the same reasons which led you to write that post.

Austen - esp persuasion

I tried reading Out once but I got lost a third of the way through. Did you like it that much? I'm going to give her another try sometime.

Seconded.

t. has never seen one