So this is nowhere near as good as everyone led me to believe

So this is nowhere near as good as everyone led me to believe.

Does it get better past the beginning? About of a quarter in and highly tempted to drop.

No, it's one of the most overrated books of all time.

brainlet detected

>So this is nowhere near as good as everyone led me to believe.
Oh wow, maybe OP will give me some hindsigh-
>Does it get better past the beginning?
How about you finish the god damned book before you try to talk about it?

If you take a bite of a sandwich and it taste like someone put actual shit in it, do you stop eating or finish the entire thing before saying "Wow, a literal shit sandwich!"

Honestly, drop. It's terribly written even by science fiction standards.

>food analogies

You've got to go small when attempting to converse with small minds

bump because I'm also interested

It's great, read it

The Sprawl Trilogy creates such a comfy world. Sorry you aren't enjoying it user, you're missing out.

>comfy

>rampant poverty and drug use
>government is inherently corrupt
>human liberty crushed under economic interests

it's just Nick Land posting on Veeky Forums again.

If you're feeling that right now then really do yourself a favor and drop it, it doesn't get better. I gritted my teeth the entire time and it only gets dumber.

You're too dumb to explain what it is you don't like about the book, so yeah, you're probably not going to make it until the end. After you fail, please keep in mind that your opinion on the book is NOT a valid one because you were too low IQ and weak-willed to finish it. Please keep all of your current and future thoughts on Neuromancer quarantined inside your mediocre brain in order to avoid infecting discussions with your ignorance

It's just a fucking pulp novel dude

i tried reading it and felt the same way. story wasn't particularly engaging and the writing felt clunky

How fat are you?

At least you aren't complaining that it is too hard like that other idiot a few weeks back.

Why do people tend to use the italian cover of them is book to represent it?

That cover is horrible.

18% Bf last I checked, hoping to hit 15% by July

Very clean and obvious what it is from a glance.

All other covers are cluttered and require longer to look at to understand title, by which time the passerby' gaze has already moved on.

yeah i dropped it as well, even gibson admits its kind of immature

apparently the ending is great though

Its "goodness" comes from its uniqueness for its time period when it was written. Some metaphors get stale,and tech related ones have a notoriously short sell by date. As it stands,I found it amusing enough,and its only attraction to even try it was to understand its place in the genre's history.

I tried reading it several times and can't get past the first 25 pages.

>uses a retarded food analogy for literature
It's time to stop posting here, John Green. You've been found out.

Like almost all science ficiton, it is shit.

This

Favorite line from the book is "A motherload of 3 megabytes of Hot Ram"

>Does it get better past the beginning?
Yes, the start is trash

It's basically our world with space rastas and augmentations, so, better than the shit we got.

It's the brazilian one, and idk but even Gibson himself seems to be a huge fan of it, I've seen him talk about it on twitter at least twice.

Shit sandwiches rae a commodity in some countries you uncultured pleb.

pretty much this

What's Gibson's best? I'll probably force myself to finish Neuromancer but what should I read after? The Peripheral sounds decent, as do the follow ups in the Sprawl trilogy.

It's good by pulp science fiction standards. If you think Dune is a great book, you'll enjoy it.

I thought Dune was alright. I don't think it's a masterpiece but I can understand why plebs would say that. Neuromancer was a steaming pile of shit that I stopped reading five pages from the end. I have never understood why anyone on Veeky Forums or thinks this is good. Dune may not be great but it is more than just pulp, Neuromancer is so pulpy it's just an orange.

>all this hate for neuromancer
i loved it. if not for the story then just for gibson's poetic writing. but honestly i loved the story too. it gets great once wintermute is introduced.

im really curious. what do you all dislike about it so much?

replace comfy with immersive and engaging

>What's Gibson's best?
i just finished count zero and i liked it a lot more than neuromancer (even though i loved neuromancer too).

i feel like the pacing is a lot better. it pulls you in right off the bat. and the way that gibson juggles three different stories and then gradually weaves them together is really genius imo. also, it's less about straight action and more about the implications of what the matrix means to humanity as a species. it gets pretty philosophical and religious which i loved.

feel for the Neuromancer meme too
and after watching some interviews with gibson probably not gonna read anything else by him

>im really curious. what do you all dislike about it so much?
is anyone going to answer this?

damn i guess not. i was hoping to have an actual discussion about this book but i guess we're just going to sling meaningless derogatory comments towards it

Dune is great. Most ebin sci-fi book I've ever read.

As for Neuromancer, I felt that it couldn't been revised before publication. The Matrix scenes are also pretty dated. Those two aspects made it difficult for me to follow the story.

*could have

I read at most a third of it before giving up. I understand why he made the language choices that he did, but I found it painful to read. I think he went too far with it. There were an unusual amount of words of which I didn't know the meaning and that certainly hindered my potential for enjoyment. It wasn't what I was expecting.

gibson will agree with this

he basically said it was adolescent and he would 'buy that guy a beer but not lone him money'

fair enough. the language is the main reason why i was drawn to his work to begin with. i feel like it really defined the whole cyberpunk aesthetic. but that's coming from someone who loves all that shit.

i can see how it's verbosity and complexity would be a turn off to some.

>that guy
who is he referring to? case? or his past self?

Both. He's admitted that Case is semi self-insert

oh cool i had no idea

no

bump