This is a Daily Reminder that Schizophrenia Doesnt Exist

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hearing_Voices_Movement

The Hearing Voices Movement is the name used by organizations and individuals advocating the "hearing voices approach", an alternative way of understanding the experience of those people who "hear voices"

What mental health sciences have identified as "schizophrenia" is actually a helpful, and beneficial ability of the human mind. All that people need to do is change their interpretation of it, and understand how to manage and interact with "the voices" in their head.

Many people who accept "the voices" actually find out that the voices help them in life, and assist them in constructive, and positive ways.

Therefore this entire time mental health and the general idea of medicating people with pharmaceutical drugs is 100% harmful and does more to damage people who have this ability to speak with voices in their head.

Ultimately its a case of society once again turning a truth upside down with the wrong interpretation, resulting in societal harm. Instead of medicating people who have schizophrenia, and then allowing them to have negative side effects like committing acts of violence, mental health care should encourage that patients listen to the voices in their head, in a positive, and constructive manner

>What mental health sciences have identified as "schizophrenia" is actually a helpful, and beneficial ability of the human mind. All that people need to do is change their interpretation of it, and understand how to manage and interact with "the voices" in their head.
>Many people who accept "the voices" actually find out that the voices help them in life, and assist them in constructive, and positive ways.
>Therefore this entire time mental health and the general idea of medicating people with pharmaceutical drugs is 100% harmful and does more to damage people who have this ability to speak with voices in their head.

So it's for people who've never seen or talked to a real schizophrenic, gotcha.

ya my sister has been a schizo since she was like 4 she can't function with or without drugs, but they help mitigate the damage

ur a donut and not very nice

>Schizophrenia Doesnt Exist
>What mental health sciences have identified as "schizophrenia" is actually a helpful, and beneficial ability of the human mind.

Sounds to me you're saying that it's not what we thought it was rather than it doesn't exist

just watch videos on youtube, clearly the problem is that medical science misdiagnoses those who allegedly have schizophrenia.

Plenty of people diagnosed with Schizophrenia go to groups on discussing techniques how to interact with the voices in their head.

Once again - everyone don't listen to the Big Phara Shills that post here about mental illness. 99% of it doesnt exist because society has wrongly interpreted and treated mental illness.

There is literally nothing wrong with having a conversation with Elmer Fudd, Bugs Bunny, and Foghorn Leghorn by yourself.

sorry around 6 years old i meant i cant remember exactly

Technically it doesn't exist because society has wrongly socially constructed what "it" is to begin with

A patient I saw when shadowing decided to have this same mentality and stopped taking his medications. On them he was doing fine, no episodes or nothing. Two weeks later he was running around naked in the highway almost getting ran over because the voices told him he needed to warn everyone about Watergate.

Yeah pretty productive there.

also all mental patients should be freed like in that one scene with the Bane Speech

>auditory hallucinations are the only symptom of schizophrenia
>the much worse negative symptoms are always overlooked
Psychologists really are brainlets

>On them he was doing fine
Shuffle around like a zombie, you mean?

>stopped taking his medications... Two weeks later he was running around naked
Dependency is a hell of a thing.

Look, there's no such thing as a drug that fixes schizophrenia. There are chemical restraints which prevent you from any kind of energetic thinking and vigorous activity (i.e. make you shuffle around like a zombie), and there are drugs that don't help, but have withdrawal symptoms that look like schizophrenia.

Wow, what a compelling anecdote about one person you personally knew, that totally justifies the existence of annual multi-billion dollar grossing antipsychotic pharmaceuticals.

All the girls in my flat are psych majors...

...All brainlets.. coincidence? Psychology is the only area of science where they teach that the founders are hacks aka psychoanalysts in spite of the fact that all the founding unprecedented concepts like using talk therapy to remedy mental disorders and the idea that we barely conscious of anything we do were introduced by them

It only proves that all psychologists are hacks

Yes his schizophrenia was withdrawal symptoms good work

Psychologists everyone

Being Schizophrenic does not mean you hear voices, and vice versa

Well, hallucinations can be present in severe forms of Bipolar I, but that's literally hypermania so what would you expect?

I mean that Schizophrenia is real and has many negative symotoms even if you grant that hearing voices is not bad

The negative symptoms of schizophrenia are the worst part. Normies just think schizos are stuck in imaginationland and hear fairies telling them stories.

Look, "schizophrenia" isn't a disease, it's a catch-all diagnosis for a wide-range of behaviors that lack even a common theme. Psychiatry is quackery.

They can't distinguish between a person with an unadmitted drug habit, a person with an undiagnosed physical brain disease, and a person who is voluntarily acting crazy for attention.

Psychiatry is honestly doing better. They've gone from having concentration camps for wackos aka mental asylums to giving people EPS in the form of a pill that gives them involuntary muscle contractions and feeling like you have to move all the time.
t. someone who took abilify and hated it

Insane asylums are a better idea than the modern method of leaving crazies to wander the streets, but we shouldn't put psychiatrists in charge of them, call them "hospitals", and pretend they're there to be cured.

The word "asylum" itself means a refuge, a safe place. This is the right kind of thinking in dealing with those who can't take care of themselves. When we have homes for mentally retarded people, there's no pretense that they're there to be fixed, they're just there to be sheltered. We don't put people in charge of them who are there to poke and prod at problems they don't understand, we just assign them caregivers. That's what we should do for the mad.

But schizophrenia symptoms can be dealt with, unlike retards and severe autists.

I read OP in bugs bunnies voice.
You must have given me schizo...
Ain't you a stinker?

>schizophrenia symptoms can be dealt with
>They can't distinguish between a person with an unadmitted drug habit, a person with an undiagnosed physical brain disease, and a person who is voluntarily acting crazy for attention.
...and: >there's no such thing as a drug that fixes schizophrenia. There are chemical restraints which prevent you from any kind of energetic thinking and vigorous activity (i.e. make you shuffle around like a zombie), and there are drugs that don't help, but have withdrawal symptoms that look like schizophrenia.

When you don't know what's causing the behavior, all of your research (not to mention conclusions from anecdotes / "clinical experience") on "treatment" to change the behavior will turn out to be garbage.

Let me tell you how every psychiatric drug trial for a "useful drug" works: a significant proportion of the placebo group shows significant improvement. A someone larger proportion of the "useful drug" group shows improvement, but comparable to the placebo group (i.e. 20% vs. 40%). The "useful drug" has various features, other than the desired effect, which make it possible for both the patient and observers to distinguish it from the placebo, such as visible side-effects, and psychotropic effects that bypass the senses entirely (like the way you can perceive that your thinking is different after you've downed a few beers), so the placebo control and blinding are fundamentally invalid.

Then in practice, the psychiatrist tries a variety of non-experimentally-validated cocktails of such drugs until apparent improvement is observed, then takes this as proof that the drugs have worked, and he is a very competent and useful fellow, just like a homeopath would.

On top of that, the drugs often generate confirmation in other ways: they got selected at some point because their withdrawal symptoms resemble the condition to be treated, or the drugs cause pain, coercing compliance.

It's sheer idiocy.

Take your meds, OP.

This is like saying that cancer isn't real because the loss of weight many cancer sufferers experience can be seen as a good thing. Simply hearing voices is the least of a schizophrenic person's problems.

>Many people who accept "the voices" actually find out that the voices help them in life
this is not the experience shared by the majority of schizophrenics, the delusions are most frequently criticism and sometimes suggest self harm or violence to others.

>listen to the voices in their head, in a positive, and constructive manner
Most schizophrenics would prefer not to do this

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles stole my meds

That's why they have to go to group therapy in order to confront the voices, and learn techniques on how to "manage" the voices.

This obviously includes techniques on how to make negative voices become positive ones. All you have to do is train schizophrenics to force their imaginary voices to help them instead of harming them.

I think, regardless of what else you're doing with them, there are three things you have to remind auditory-hallucinating schizophrenics of regularly:
- the voices are only their own thoughts, and not anything with independent sources of information or with power to affect the outside world
- even the best people have heads full of horrible thoughts, they don't signify bad intentions
- nobody has full control of their thoughts, or can entirely suppress unwanted ones, but a certain amount of effort is useful

Everyone has "voices in their head" telling them to do terrible things, or telling them ridiculous things. Most people know they're just stray thoughts, and are so accustomed to rejecting them that they rarely even remember that they had them.

:(

scientologyfag fuck off to

>mental health care should encourage that patients listen to the voices in their head,
And go shoot up that school to make progress towards gods clean and perfect world, o verall this will be a benefit for everyone, regardless of what happens.
Listen to that voice instead of blocking it out, work towards its goals.

Big Chin Seinfeld says no

>one positive symptom of schizophrenia is sometimes not pathological ergo schizophrenia doesn't exist .

That would be like saying brain cancer doesn't exist because sometimes people get idiopathic headaches. Obviously you've never met someone with thought disorder or you'd know how serious and debilitating schizophrenia can really be. These people need to be medicated to be able to function in society.

The Gay Steel Mill says no