Civil/Mech Engineering major

Why is majoring in Civil/Mech Engineering looked down on so much in Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/network-and-computer-systems-administrators.htm#tab-1
bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/software-developers.htm
payscale.com/research/US/Job=Computer_Programmer/Salary
bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-programmers.htm
bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/software-developers.htm#tab-1
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Civil Engineering and Mechanical Engineering should not be listed together in the first place. They are completely different (to be clear: Civil < Mech).
The people who made that chart are either not engineers or a group of ChemE/EE. circlejerk.

I never seen people make fun of ME's. ME is the broadest and essentially the base engineering major because you can cross into all other engineering programs easily. Like you can become a petroleum engineer if you have a background in PE (obviously) or ChemE or ME. ME is the safest engineering major to choose in terms of job outlook because you can pivot. Civil Engineers do get shit on but only because their curriculum is the easiest engineering curriculum because they deal with stuff that doesn't move. Also Civil is getting infested with women now and anything seen with women in it loses prestige.

ftfy

>theology not in God tier
ya fucked up

>cs
>mid

no.

>9542003
I POSTED IT AGAIN!!!!!!!

I mean damn, you were smoking some crack to put art, computer sci, psychology and biology so high.

>African American Studies
Is that really a thing in burgerland? Ffs, my sides

This picture is utter bullshit. How is Computer Science comparable to Theology?

This. Mechanical Engineers rule the world.

Applied Physics and Production Engineering double major guy here.

I was passing all the mathematical parts of mechanical engineering courses thanks to the maths I learned in Physics. I was passing all the other theory parts thanks to common knowledge. Labs were fun to have though. I had mechanical engineering courses to have a double degree in mechanical engineering but it turned out that wasn't enough so they gave me production one.

Mechanical engineering is useful and shit just as any other. We are living in such a time that no matter which STEM field you are in, as long as you have very good understanding of maths, programming and practical parts of physics, you can easily get a job in most of the STEM fields.

>Astronomy
>Mid

Typical brainlets

>astronomylets mooching off physics IQs

>chemistry
>not in shit tier
I never ever ever ever ever studied a subject more
boring and dull than chemistry. The only interesting bits in it can be learned in a physics class

I'm a senior undergrad doing a chem/physics major. I'm also doing research in a materials science lab where we're working on (primarily) manganese-based semi-conductors, and I've found that____ you know what actually the best parts of chemistry are the physical sides of it. Thermo, atomic/molecular orbital theory, and electrochemistry are all physics and materials science just as much as they are chemistry.

>Engineering not at least 2 tiers below physics and at least 1 tier below CS
>Astrophysics, the highest IQ degree, below engineering and medicine.
>Foreign language is a waste of life.
>Teacher is a degree.
/pol/tards are not welcome on this board. You will need to leave, engineer.

close.

Place History on top and you've got yourself a deal.

I'm a Biochem and Maths joint honours student, where does that put me? Does it average out and put me in Top Tier?

Elder Gods (MD or PhD required)
Neurosurgeon (MD). Pure Math, Theoretical Physics, Astrophysics, Optics, Solid State Physics, Telecom (EE), Plasma Physics, Physical Chemistry, Pharma, Organic Chemistry, Nuclear (ME).

Demi-Gods (MSc required)
Pediatrician (MD), Applied Math, Statistics, Experimental Physics, Biophysics, Geophysics, Observational Astronomy, Controls (EE), Electronics (EE), Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, ChemE Aerospace (ME), Biomedical (ME), Economics

Mere Mortals
Power (EE), Dentists, Thermal (ME), Structures (ME/CivilE), Computer Science, Fluids (ME/CivilE), Geotech (CivilE)

Peasants
Nursing, Transportation (CivilE), Enviromental Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Biology

The Filthiest Slaves, Whores, Eunuchs & Thieves
Humanities, Arts, Sociology, Theology, Sports

>theology over economics, law, and IT
>mech eng is bad
>fucking theology really man?

on what merit are these rankings based on though? i could argue that physics is shit tier if my ranking is based on employment and wages

Veeky Forums, I literally only majored in EE because it was in a god tier chart and I've been successful so far

how fucked am I?

>pure math and theoretical physics on elder god tier

enjoy flipping burgers

tbf the only ranking that matters is employment and wages.
In that sense CS is head and shoulder above every STEM major with biology, math, and physics at the very bottom. Those three are pretty shit majors all things considered.

literally can't refute this.

>IT above CS
>a business major where you barely learn any programing or advanced CS theory or math being better then CS

God you people are so retarded. The more you post the more ignorant you look. I don't even think any of you know what CS is.

IT above CS because CS is now oversaturated with pajeet maggots who are willing to work twice as much as you, for half the salary, so unless you're literally john carmack you won't get a job above entry salary, or a job at all.

whereas IT could give you a sysadmin job with a fat fucking salary, or you can sit down fixing idiot employees' computers and get fat currency.

and i'm not wrong about busineess, it is better than pseudochology or literally everything else not listed in that chart.

also CpE/SE doublemajor BTFO's CS

>advanced CS theory
>"advanced"

top kek

Even if you where right (which you aren't) entry level salary for CS is higher then a sysadmin job. Hell a CS major can get that sysadmin job as well. That's not impressive at all. Did you even take the time to research what you are talking about or did you just fall for Veeky Forums memes? Next thing I know you're gonna start claiming a software engineering degree is better than a CS degree. Protip, no one take SE degrees seriously.

>two majors is better than one major
You're not that bright, are you?

>post memes that are completely false to try and prove a point
I can smell the jealousy. No need to feel inferior.

>entry level salary for CS is higher then a sysadmin job
I FUCKING LOVE THE SMELL OF INDIANS IN THE MORNING

you really, REALLY need to go on for once and ask the retarded code monkeys there for their experiences in their CS degrees and employability.

>hello am pajeet

>Music
>God tier
SCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUM GANG

>being this retarded.
Let me give you some advice, next time try and argue a topic you're familiar with so you don't look like a complete retard. I know that might seem kinda hard considering how retarded you both are so instead keep your mouth shut.

SysAdmin
bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/network-and-computer-systems-administrators.htm#tab-1

software developer
bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/software-developers.htm

Pajeets go into programming for the most part, not software development. Even then they're not trusted. No need to feel so insecure btw. That insecurity is the reason why IT fags are a laughing stock.

>makes fun of software engineeering
>posts job that only non-pajeet software engineers get

Now post how much your actual code monkey gets:
payscale.com/research/US/Job=Computer_Programmer/Salary
faggot.

poo in loo

Are you really this retarded? SE is a meme degree. CS majors take software engineering and software development jobs, not SE majors. A school offering an SE major is a joke for the most part. No one takes it seriously and a CS degree is always better. Even read the actual BLS part on how to become a software developer and it says "Software developers usually have a bachelor’s degree in computer science and strong computer programming skills." Go read that now you retard.

>payscale computer programmer
To add icing on the cake and remove all doubt that you really are mentally retarded you link to pay for computer programmers. A CS major is not a code monkey you drooling retard. IT is closer to being a code monkey but IT is usually not even good enough to be that as an IT major usually has an extremely shallow programming background. What you're defending, IT, is at the level of a pajeet.

Tell me, where you dropped on the head as a child or where you just born retarded? How dumb do you have to be to fall for Veeky Forums memes without even taking the time to research what you are discussing? I already made you look like an idiot and rather then leaving you came back to put your ignorance in display. The retarded simply can't help themselves.

>csfag (a pajeet nonetheless) calls anything a meme degree
>YOUR SOURCE IS WRONG FOR

>A CS major is not a code monkey
nigger
NIGGER
CS MAJORS ARE *THE* ORIGINAL CODE MONKEYS

>SE is a meme degree.

Let me say this better, software engineering is a good discipline but a uni that offers an SE degree is often if not always worse then a CS degree. SE degrees are usually shallow CS degrees and CS majors always look better for those jobs.

My source is BLS which states a CS degree is needed for software development. You have no source that states otherwise but instead linked to computer programming salaries while failing to understand the difference between a programmer and a developer. I get you're just being retarded to save face but all you do is look even stupider. How does it feel to know I made you my bitch?

and a mechanical engineer is the original mechanical engineering technician, what's your point?

>All other websites indicate that the average CSfag pajeet makes 60k
>except for yours
>and yours say that software devs are also software engineering majors
go to the "how to become one" tab

>he thinks pajeets code monkeys can make 100k yearly
honestly now

ME does take shit, but it's not because it is looked down: it's because the other areas are so overestimated. ME is equally or more difficult than EE or ChemE. Anyone telling you otherwise is a retard.
Regarding Civil Engineering, see

>still being retarded

BLS is the official government website that compiles data for employment in the US. As BLS has stated a computer science degree is most often then not necessary for the job. The website you linked is about pay for computer programmers which is distinct from software development/engineering. A CS major can become a programmer just like they can become a sysAdmin but they can also become a software developer and much more. Basically a CS major is much better then IT.

I'm starting to think you where born retarded. I don't know why you keep saying 'Pajeet' when its IT that is in danger of being replaced by IT. Also stop making multiple post, its clear you're the same retard. Why are you so butthurt though? Is it just insecurity from the knowledge that you're inferior? It'd say it feels good to be better than trash like you but you're not even worth being compared to.

Nigger, i don't give no fucks about no government, if you think the average pajeet makes 100k, that's some delusion right there, plus, like what the other user said, every single other website states otherwise

>The website you linked is about pay for computer programmers which is distinct from software development/engineering
that's the point, dipshit.

as i said waaay earlier, programmer=/=pajeet code monkey
99% of CS majors are code monkeys
the other 1% are john carmack types (and only that 1% makes 100 thousand dollars per year)

whereas you're the one who stated earlier that the average compsci major makes more than IT then proceeded to post a software dev salary, retard.

>board shills itself as basically muh math
>engineers are 3rd best at math behind mathys and psychos
>hate engies while thinking the sciences that don't even use calc are god-tier

>>Engineering not at least 2 tiers below physics and at least 1 tier below CS
HAHAHAHAHAHA, no.

Pajeets are not software developers you drooling retard, they take web design and IT jobs. Are you illiterate?

>99% of CS majors are code monkeys
You never cease to amaze me with how retarded you are. Can you not help yourself? Did you never take the time to actually research this shit before making your retarded post?

I'll post the official stats just to show you how retarded you are

Computer programmer
>bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/computer-programmers.htm
>Number of Jobs, 2016: 294,900

Software Developer (a CS job)
>bls.gov/ooh/computer-and-information-technology/software-developers.htm#tab-1
>Number of Jobs, 2016: 1,256,200
>How to Become a Software Developer
>"Software developers usually have a bachelor’s degree in computer science and strong computer programming skills."
>1,256,200 fucking jobs for software development given mainly to CS majors with an average salary of $102,280 per year

A pajeet is not a CS major you literal monkey. They don't take software development jobs but rather they compete for fucking web development jobs, IT jobs, and maybe some of them are decent enough to compete for programming jobs.

>whereas you're the one who stated earlier that the average compsci major makes more than IT then proceeded to post a software dev salary, retard.
Because a software developer most often then not has a CS degree you drooling retard. There are 1,256,200 jobs for Software dev and only 294,900 jobs for programming. Most CS majors do software dev not programming. Can you not read or are you truly this retarded?

How do you plan on looking like a literal retard next? Maybe you should fuck off instead of constantly becoming my literal bitch.

>theology grouped in with philosophy
>still being triggered

You have to be over the age of 18 to post here.

>on what merit are these rankings based on though
How much you learn. School isn't job training retard.

>>post memes that are completely false to try and prove a point
>I can smell the jealousy. No need to feel inferior.

is your containment board,

I-is architecture considered a good degree in your country?
Asking for a friend.

get a load of this pajeet
read what said

>Gets BTFO so badly refuses to read.

No shame in looking like a retard user, just accept what you are.

i mean don't get me wrong you have no idea how much i want you to be correct in your claims because i'm aiming to either computer engineering or CS but to claim that compsci majors make a hundred thousand dollars meanwhile all other statistics websites say otherwise is retarded

,256,200 fucking jobs for software development given mainly to CS majors with an average salary of $102,280 per year

Over 45% of software jobs go to people without CS degrees.

>proceeds to post memes to try and prove a point

No need to feel inferior user. Get rid of that inferiority complex.

>chemistry
>god tier
kek

Because if you want me to believe that over 125,000,000 compsci majors make over 100k you're retarded.

It's 1,256,200 you illiterate monkey. And the pay is the average. Some make more some make less. If you look through the site it breaks down the pay further even by state.
These are official stats, how are you even doubting them?

Source?

>doesn't even realize the image perfectly describes (you)

I am so sorry.

>It's 1,256,200
yeah my bad, my point still stands.
> how are you even doubting them?
look at how many statistic websites say otherwise, tens and tens of them

>>post memes that are completely false to try and prove a point
>>I can smell the jealousy. No need to feel inferior.

>disregard all points raised
>respond with insults

CS brainlets are the worst. At least employers are starting to wise up and growingly viewing the degree with contempt and disdain.

Its the official government website with compiled statistics. The pay is the average but it really depends on where you live. Most of these jobs are in California where the cost of living is high already. If you click on state and area data the stats are further broken down by state. It even has links to other websites that have local stats to give you an idea of how the pay is like in your area.

All other statistic websites don't say otherwise but they rather narrow it down based on area or on self reporting. The problem with this is not everyone reports their salary and what the government defines as "software development" might not be what they define as that. For example software engineering is often separated as different in other statistics but the government groups software engineering within software development. Why? I don't fucking know. Likewise some software engineering jobs might be grouped within computer programming for who knows why. These stats also don't say anything about experience so starting salaries are always going to be lower. Starting salaries are often in the $60,000 -65,000 range but it varies by area. LA for example has starting salaries around 85,000. Realistically these stats are good for knowing which field has plenty of employment not so much for what you'll be making but the average pay is a good indicator of which field pays more.

>it's another STEM elitism thread.

how can an individual put philosophy on top and theology on bottom? literally fedora tipping nietcheee-faggot

do yourself a favor and read aristotle and aquinas, specially summa contra gentiles

>puts high school teacher at the bottom.
t. angsty teen.

prove me wrong.

protip: you literally can't.

>doesn't even realize the image and your further post perfectly describe your insecurity
I'm so sorry.
That's because some unis offers shit degrees titled CS. Its a problem as the field isn't fully well defined. That's not surprising but your ignorance on the field is. Not all states have this problem, California universities have done a geat job in giving proper degrees for the field.

See Look at local area stats to get a better idea.

This is ultimately what these threads can be reduced to.

SAT Math Scores by Race, Sex and Major.
>This is the definitive ranking.

Math > Physics > Engineering > Whites > Asians > Biology > Hispanics > Sociology > Computer Science > Economics > Humanities > Blacks > K-12 Education

>That's because some unis offers shit degrees titled CS. Its a problem as the field isn't fully well defined. That's not surprising but your ignorance on the field is. Not all states have this problem, California universities have done a geat job in giving proper degrees for the field.

CS courses everywhere are a joke. Some are just more of a joke than others but the fact remains that you guys don't learn a 1/3 of the content that's covered in other STEM programs at even the best of school. Sure you're better than no name schools that relabel IT as CS degrees, but that's like a retard with an IQ of 70 being proud he isn't a retard with an IQ of 60....

btw: the cliche "shit school" response was already mentioned in :^). Try to be more original with your deflections.

Ee major here, me is way more difficult than ee it’s not even a question

>unironically ranking Asian males below Whites.

>blacks are smarter than the teachers of the classes they never show up to
America needs to reevaluate it's education system.

>ME is equally or more difficult than EE or ChemE

>ChemEs take harder thermodynamics courses
>ChemEs take harder fluid mechanics courses
>ChemEs take harder heat and mass transfer courses
>ChemEs take harder control courses
>MechEs take fluff cad/machine design courses when ChemEs are doing separation process, reactor design, and process/plant design

You're delusional as fuck.

How can you say its a joke when you've never actually studied it? Why do you feel the need to try and prove it when you're clearly painfully ignorant on the field? Can you not see how insecure you look?

You literally seep with insecurity. I don't even know why. Maybe its jealousy that CS majors have better job prospects or better pay but either way your need to try and prove your false sense of superiority just makes you look pathetic. The field is still new and with information technology branching off its become harder to define with some universities giving easier information technology degrees labeled as CS. The accredited bodies have attempted to prevent this by trying to further define each discipline.

Yet instead of looking at the obvious your sense of inferiority makes you lash out at CS to try and prove something. CS is not superior to other majors nor is it inferior, its simply different. Your sense of inferiority is downright pathetic but you're not wrong in feeling inferior, you are inferior. Not because of your major or whatever but the person you are itself is inferior. Stop being butthurt.

>"Harder"
>Courses are actually DIFFERENT because they're directed towards different objectives regarding each branch
You're a brainlet

>projecting
>projecting
>projecting
>projecting

lel. way to prove cs majors are brainlets dude.

I feel so sorry for you. Because you never studied a real major before, you don't realize how badly you were conned out of a proper education in CS. Sure you might think Rosen, CLRS, and Sipser were challenging, but they are a joke compare to Rudin and Shankar.

>No arguments all you can say is
>"Y-you're projecting"

Seething.
Nothing more fun the making fun of brailets. I gave you solid arguments and you responded with memes as you where top stupid to come up with something else. Maybe one day you'll grow up.

Did you study math? I've seen tons of math majors who tried minoring in CS only to struggle with a basic data structures class. What did you study? What would you consider a real major?

You sound like a child though. Never studied CS yet claim its not a real major to try and hold some false sense of superiority. For someone who is claiming to be educated I'm amazed you can't see how dumb you look.

>I feel so sorry for you
the redflag

tfw business degree allows for social life and job in consulting/IB earning 70k/year

>Business, Accounting, Theology, Finance, Management = Filth

Found the middle-class socialist. Go back to your summer job painting houses fuckstick.

>The intro to programming 102 practical course is hard for people who never coded before
>therefore our 300&400 level """theoretical""" courses must be hard too!

Look at those cs-tier reasoning skills.

>Never studied CS

Why do you keep insisting that "I've never studied CS"? I wasted my time taking CS courses because CS majors (just like you) swore that their stuff was really mathematical and deep only to find shallow glacial courses with the other cs students dying on the simplest concepts. I first thought it might be my school (which was supposedly highly ranked for cs) that was the problem... But after comparing the syllabi at other famous schools, they were mostly the same content wise, used the same books, and often even had identical assignments/projects in some courses. The only schools that I have been able to find that offer cs done right are rare European ones.

I teach high school history and I make $80,000.

>teaching highschool anything
>making 80k
woah am I missing something?

Depends on the school, but it's not absurd.

Correct rankings

>tfw 100%'ed SAT and income under 30k

>Engineering = Easy

hahahahahahahah. Twat.

>engineering
>not easy

>Math not mentioned

you are literally cancer.

This one I believe unironically.