Do you agree with this comic strip’s view of the education system?

Do you agree with this comic strip’s view of the education system?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2_2lGkEU4Xs
youtube.com/watch?v=eeEWPbTad_Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You can't be just educated on "conceptual understanding", but generally , a lot of teachers just show facts and do nothing to further develop the understanding if the concepts.

yeah this

More or less, except the year the Pilgrims landed at Plymouth Rock isn't a useless fact. It puts historical events in context. The trouble is that schools emphasize what's easy to test, when the untestable stuff is far more valuable.

There are people who don't have the sense of historical context to know that there were color TVs but no home computers when the Apollo Program was running, that there were guns and ships with cannons but no steam engines when Shakespeare wrote his plays, or that Julius Caesar and Jesus Christ should have been alive at the same time.

Pretty much this.

Knowing the date when something happened isn't really useful. Knowing the order in which historical events occurred, using the metric of dates as a way to align things, is what's important.

I believe History should be tested via Essays, and maybe by putting things on a timeline, but memorizing the exact dates is stupid.

yes, but only for college systems

For undergraduate -> post PhD an understandign is necessary. Until then, certain facts, like how trig functions work, etc. must be drilled in to effectively understand higher level math

It is a useless fact, I can live my life just fine without ever knowing it. All you need to know is that the Pilgrims landed a long time ago and how they contributed to America you don't need to know the exact fucking year. You are probably aware of the cultural impact of the Byzantine Empire without knowing that it fell on a Tuesday.

Caesar died in 44 BC.

yes. along with this assessment. ironically i'm going to school to be a middle school teacher.

thread theme: youtube.com/watch?v=2_2lGkEU4Xs

Fuck, I meant Augustus.

>Julius Caesar and Jesus Christ should have been alive at the same time.
except that's wrong, and the fact that you think that shows why memorizing exact dates is useless, since you just forget them. it's much easier if you just remember the century and whether it's early, middle, or late in that century

public education was a waste of my youth and toxic to my development as an individual

memorisation is in fact an employable skill
how else can a student show this to their teacher?

Explicitly stated in Gospel of St. Luke

The purpose of modern education is to turn people into useful idiots. They will teach you enough to fulfill that purpose, but beyond that, you will be ostracized for learning enough to break the mold.

>modern
the US adopted the prussian system of the 18th/19th century which was designed to mold kids into soldiers.

nothing modern about this decision

That's modern
Either that or my modern western history class was inappropriately titled

it's almost as if learning is an active process and it is up to the student to utilize the knowledge presented by teachers in a meaningful manner

your brain doesnt learn through osmosis retards, when you get a piece of information, you have to connect it with other information

you're either in some shitty prep-school, or your have a family/friend who is a welfare queen public school teacher
i don't understand how you can deceive yourself into thinking the public school system isn't complete ass

>You have to memorize these random dates
>That's okay because learning is an active process and you have to utilize the knowledge in a meaningful manner
What is this word salad

memorizing the exact dates of every single significant event as well as teh birth and death years of every major figure is the historical autism equivalent of memorizing a hundred digits of pi

physicsfag here too

Education before university level is a fucking joke outside of some highly selective schools. Anyone who disagrees is a brainlet but also anyone who thinks all education is as retarded as k-12 is a bigger brainlet.

>even bigger brainlet
i disagree. university education is nearly just as much of a joke as compulsory education. at least that's the impression i get from the life-science majors i have to teach. they don't learn or know anything, and i'm not supposed to pressure them into learning either.
so from that, inducting that education remains shitty from someone's k-12 experience isn't completely wrong.

>life science majors

there's your problem. This graph is obviously memey but its a good general indicator for how awful a certain major is. I'm majoring in math and physics at a rando state school and most people are hardworking and interested in the subject.

that's what i did for my undergrad, but you seem to have misunderstood my post.
part of my job as a phd student is to teach physics labs. i'm instructed to teach these kids little and put no pressure on these students so they can pass. it doesn't matter to me that they're life science majors, but it does bother me that they don't have to learn the material for the course they're required to take.

I guess I don't disagree then, it just always triggers me when people shit on education like modern society isn't built on it though.

Yes, the only courses that should be tested are Languages, Sciences, Mathematics and practical courses (although teachers shouldn't expect you to memorize equations and constants).
Everything else should be required bonus courses that give you perspective and might intrigue you enough to research more of it on your own, but you don't get a grade from them.

I read an article once about how a teacher used Age of Empires to teach kids about history and government, then had them discuss about the civs and which strategies worked and which didn't.
This apparently worked wonders as the kids wanted to learn more and figure out ways to solve problems.

>lawlz history whenz will i ever need this in my 9-5 pleb job???!!
its almost as if dates are important so you can connect one event with other events in that time period and then to other events in other time periods to understand patterns and gain insights

im in uni
like i said, if you sit on your hands and expect your teacher to feed you then yea youll think school is worthless
there are certainly some issues i take with it but as far as having to know dates like in the OP, its more useful than that comic suggests
dont wait until youre 40 to reflect on life and how humans have organized within it. once you start reflecting, you will realize little is more important than the knowledge we first get a taste of in school
>welfare queen public school teacher
is just nonsense. look at the differences in societies and how they handle education. now and in the past. widespread public education is undoubtedly the most successful and intelligent formula
but the student is still responsible for the learning part. no teacher anywhere can do that for you

youtube.com/watch?v=eeEWPbTad_Q

Yes, remembering that so and so was born on February 8, 1584 as opposed to February 9, 1584, is really important. You can google this shit in half a second user. Keep making yourself feel good though justifying your retarded degree

>agreeing with Calvin and Hobbes
brainlet

that has literally NEVER been on a public school test you dishonest fuck. no test has dates 1 fucking day or even month apart. year? maybe if theres a lot of info condensed into a short time frame.

would you bet your bank account that there has been a question on dates of an event in school where the dates were 1 day apart? dumbass brainlet. stick to forum shitposting, its obv youre a failure irl

You're an idiot. Go take APUSH and you'll have to memorize random dates like this. I didn't bother for this reason because it's stupid. I'm not a failure I'm a successful engineer.

>like i said, if you sit on your hands and expect your teacher to feed you then yea youll think school is worthless
i guess it's only fair you took your turn to construct a strawman of me after what i said to you.
here is my complaint with public schools:
they're a burden on anyone above average and make it difficult for any intelligent person to learn anything of value.
my experience stiffled me and ended my joy for learning and reading. I imagine i would be having an easier time in my phd program if public school teachers weren't so incompetent/antagonistic with smart students.

>widespread public education is undoubtedly the most successful and intelligent formula
public education only came around because automation took families from the country to the city, and children eventually had nothing to do, since they'd soon be barred from working in the factories with their parents.

the education system of the US is based on the Prussian system, which was designed to make good soldiers unquestioning of authority, not to make smart, rational actors for society. I, like many others, didn't get anything from the schools, while you, like more, took to heart the unquestioning faith in big brother.

Core problem is you need something that you can objectively test, quickly and en mass. Essays are great, but they don't really work that way on the scale required.

They could make the tests more wholistic with interconnected answers though. Hell, turn history tests into Doctor Who choose your own adventure games, and see if they can navigate their way to the "good end" with a series of correct multiple choice answers in a historical storyline, rather than having them simply recite memorized unconnected dates and names.

It'd also help if public education could catch up with modern technology, but it seems every time it tries, it turns into a shit show. It's certainly a sad state of affairs that standardized testing looks much the same as it did a century ago.

>I'm not a failure I'm a successful engineer.
You almost had me.

There is no "H" in "STEM".

>STEHM

>im a successful engineer

It seems like pretty obvious hyperbole to me.

That would be amazing. So it can't happen.

I think I would be pretty satisfied if I was teaching an elementary-schooler who could write like that.

It can, I'll keep the Doctor Who activity in mind for my next unit.

Pleb