*carbonexts your path*

*carbonexts your path*

I LOVE carbon steel my favorite knives are old hickory made by okc !!

> tfw you use ceramic knives from Wal-Mart that can barely cut a baguette without sharpening it beforehand.

Is that the 270mm version? That's the one I have. Bought it years ago for my collection, still haven't gotten around to actually using it. I think this is the first time I have seen CarboNext mentioned on here. They were a big thing a couple of years ago, but the hype seems to have abated a bit.

They are not carbon steel. Basically it's just stainless steel with a very low chromium content so it won't start rusting and discolouring right away.

Get a nice knife user and learn how to sharpen, cooking with blunt knives is an absolute pain in the ass.

Why the fuck would i get a carbon steel kitchen knife?
I understand if im /out/side and need to carve shit, then it is useful. Easier to sharpen with practically anything.
But at kitchen where i am constantly handling wet things and i won't be going through wood or other blunting shit? And not only that it would actually go blunt faster than stainless? Shit.
Unless you work professionally, that shits different.

You think carbon steel dulls faster than stainless?

I know most of you are working class idiots with no understanding of metallurgy, but can't you find a fucking friend?

with acidic stuff it does, very noticeably so.

Why are you cutting up lemons and oranges with a carbon steel knife?

What knife do you recommend cheaper or around $100? Is the Wusthof Classic Ikon Cook's Knife 20 cm good?

because what else should you use? if i have a santoku, by all means, i will use it for meat, fish, vegetables and fruits, including the acidic ones.

tojiro

>because what else should you use?
Stainless. That way the acid in the citrus doesn't fuck with your patina, or generate off tastes.

a patina is natural and there's nothing wrong with it. and what's the point in having all these knives, petty knives, etc if i can't use them for that that kind of purpose?

why do you think you should have damp cloth to wipe off your carbon steal? exactly, to remove whatever you cut and the juices off it so it doesn't react as much to the blade.

very basic concept of sanitary cooking with carbon steel blades

>a patina is natural and there's nothing wrong with it.
I'm well aware. My point is that the acid from citrus fruits can damage the patina.

>> and what's the point in having all these knives, petty knives, etc if i can't use them for that that kind of purpose?
You tell me. I love carbon steel cutlery. I use it for most things. But when I cut citrus I get out the stainless knife.

>>why do you think you should have damp cloth to wipe off your carbon steal? exactly, to remove whatever you cut and the juices off it so it doesn't react as much to the blade.
Sure. But when you have foods that are highly acidic, like citrus, why use the carbon steel at all? The moment you wipe the lemon juice onto your damp rag you're fucked. Now every other time you wipe your knife on it you're just re-coating it with acid.

Different tools for different jobs, bro.

so you indirectly suggest that going for a stainless steel petty knife would be a good idea?

and if so, which one? i just checked tojiro, but they are expensive

I'm not sure where you get the "indirect" part from--I thought it was rather obvious that I was suggesting using a stainless knife for your citrus.

I use a Glestain petty and a Henckels paring knife. I'm especially fond of the Glestain pettys with the offset handle. They look a little odd at first but the design is very practical since it gives you knuckle clearance on the board.

>Glestain
that's a lot for a petty knife. i only find Zwilling under Henckels and i do actually have an old Zwilling petty knife, it's just blunt

Glestain makes two lines of knives. The pro line, which is fairly expensive, and a "home" line. The pro ones are easier to find but the home line is cheaper. Check out the model 814TU.

As for the Henckels, I don't own a true petty from them. I do have their "Zwilling Pro Kudamono" paring knife, and the "Zwilling Pro Ultimate Prep Knife". The latter is interesting because it is serrated which brings its own pros and cons. That was a gift so I don't know what it cost, but the similar Kudamono paring knife was not very expensive so I imagine the "ultimate prep" is likely not too bad.

>>i do actually have an old Zwilling petty knife, it's just blunt
Time to sharpen! Thankfully the German steel sharpens easily.

i'd have to think about that one, 100 for a petty knife seems to expensive imo, but i'd pay about the same for carbon steel grade ... maybe as a christmas present

IMHO the price of a knife doesn't have much to do with the type of knife that it is. A larger knife has more metal in it and more edge to sharpen but those are minor factors out of the whole.

A bigger question is how often do you even need a petty knife? I do 90% of my cooking with a normal chef's knife. My next most commonly used is a cleaver. I very rarely need a paring or petty knife.

If you already have the henckels then why not just sharpen it and you'll be good to go?

you are right i guess, thanks for the infos

Tojiro DP is very decent, or the Wüsthof Le Cordon Bleu series. Or the Classic series, which have a bolster though. Not sure about the IKON 20cm , I have heard they are very tailheavy. Not much of an issue if you hold your knife "housewife" style, i.e. by the handle, but if you hold it like a professional with the blade pinched between indexfinger and thumb it might be uncomfortable. If you want the IKON I'd go for the 9'' version. Same goes for the Classic and Le Cordon Bleu, much better balance with the longer blade. It's much easier to get used to a longer blade than to a short one. Short blades will always be impractical for some stuff.