Recently got a job at Aldi and tomorrow is my first day. I've never worked in a grocery store before, any tips ceekay?

Recently got a job at Aldi and tomorrow is my first day. I've never worked in a grocery store before, any tips ceekay?

it's easy as fuck. if you're a cashier just bag at your own pace (never let the line or shitty customers rush you especially if its your first cashier/checking job). always bag eggs by themselves or with bread on top and keep frozen shit with frozen shit. if you're just a courtesy associate youll probably just be bagging and pushing carts which is cake.

don't forget to tip the manager on your first day

Valium

I was working at Tesco for a year which is mostly the same thing like really, I was just walking around for 8 hours per day and nobody cared what the flipping hell I do, had some co-workers who were just eating chocolate in the fridge all the time. But if you have a boss with god-syndrome, it can be a real shit.

depends on what your job is, dingus
for serious though i've learned in my more years of life than you that no job is worth getting flustered/bothered/whatever
do a good job but don't let shit get to you and know policies/rules and you'll always come out on top

i don't have any cash, will they take a card or should i look in the parking lot for change

credit card is fine I believe.
Also, always maintain eye contact with the higher ups.

This. It's about respect.

I once found an euro in the parking lot, put it in my pocket and went to eat, there is a fucking security button what you had to push in order to get into the cafeteria and the general resting area, and if it beeps you get searched. So I pushed the goddamn button it beeped and the security lady found the dollar on me, they took it away, called the manager and yelled at me for not giving it to the people at the information booth. All that shit happened on my birthday.

Accidently wrote dollar the second time.

fake&gay

A lot of people leave the quarter in the Shopping Carts at Aldi's or don't even push them back, so you could check the cart slots for quarters, or push back some carts for dat sweet Washington. Tip 10% of however many hours you worked. 15% if you want to be looked upon highly. 20% if you want a raise and managment position.

Depends on what you do. I work in the deli at a Safeway. It's fucking easy but everyone in the store likes to pretend like they have the hardest job. People who have been there a long time either are really chill or are up their own ass about how good they are at their job while actually being terrible.

don't forget to (((((((tip))))))) the manager

ftfy

Why would I lie about Tesco having shitty policies? Everyone already knows its shit.

suck. your. supervisors. cock. The simple fact of the matter is that grocery stores are open all day but only have significant traffic at certain times of the day, and your supervisor is the person decides if you spend those interim periods doing something easy or helping the slow janitor clean poop off the bathroom walls.

You don't even have to bag at Aldi. They just throw it all back in the cart and have you bag it yourself.

Be prepared to answer customer's questions so idiotic you'll be dumbstruck as to why they asked them in the first place.

Keep an eye out for the jester.
They always fuck with the new hires.

Produce here. Got asked some of the dumbest questions, people looking for garlic when it's literally right in front of them for example.

Tell me more about the jesters. What the fuck is their endgame?

Show up late - they love that

They just want to watch the world burn.

>Pack the fragile stuff with other fragile stuff (egg carton on one side of the bag, bananas next to them, loaf of bread on top).
>Bag raw meats by themselves. Packages of chicken always go by themselves and are double bagged.
>Take learning the codes for all the vegetables and fruits at your own pace. It helps you remember. If someone give attitude, ask them if they would like to do the job you're completely new at.
>A paycheck isn't worth your dignity.
>You have a right to stand up for yourself if someone is absolutely out of line towards you.
>Don't be afraid to call a manager if someone is being outrageous/causing a scene/threatening you. Managers are there to stick up for you, not just be your bully when a customer wants you reprimanded/fired for accidently ringing up two cans of whatever instead of one.
I have literally had death threats from customers over shit I can't control. Like stock. If you're a cashier, you have no control over stock. If someone says something about an item being out, point them in the direction of a manager and tell that customer to let them know because they actually have control over that area. If it's the prices, same thing. Don't change the prices for ANYTHING. Nothing. Even belligerent people.

t. seasoned cashier who has survived employment at walmart

Nothing makes you hate people as much as working in customer service

>all these comments about never working at an aldi

Don't let them fool you. You will often have one other coworker and a manager. You will be running register or stock. You will rarely have time to shoot the breeze. If you get a break of register you stock. If you get a break at stock you run register. It is one of the hardiest groceries jobs which is why you should be paid more. But if you can make it you will get more rewards then other places.

This is true. I never hated people until I got a retail job. You're basically the underpaid grunt that doubles as a punching-bag and who usually does more than what you're paid to do.

It sucks. Just open up your own business. I make and ship out fucking cookies and candy in my pajamas for a living now. Lol

>Don't change the prices for ANYTHING.
Fun fact Cashiers have a $10 limit at Kroger stores on changing prices and if it gets you out of the lane faster they might give it to you.

always keep a broom handy to shoo away the mayo goblins when you come across them

OP should have it real easy then

Aldi isn't really like other grocery store jobs. I've worked there for five years. My advice is to not get stockholm syndrome. You'll discover what a shitshow it is for yourself. I'd honestly advise you to disregard all the advice itt as it's irrelevant to aldi.

except that shit about mayo goblins. That's important to remember.

Fun Fact: That is complete and utter bullshit.

So do you have any other pieces of advice?

I worked at Kroger as a bagger and it was pretty comfy & nice but I'd imagine being a cashier (all Aldi has) is more stressful. I think Aldi pays more so you have that going for you, but I'm not sure I'd want to work there. Aldi has a weird vibe to me, not sure how to describe it

>bagging
>getting carts
I see you've never been to Aldi

EVERY JOB EVER

Fucking cowards

German is the word I think you're looking for

I hope to god that you aren't from Germany. Aldi Nord is the worst employer I've ever encountered and you can't even imagine how happy I'm that I'm going to quit soon

Working in Aldi isn't like working in a regular grocery store. They pay more but also demand more, Aldis are usually understaffed and you will always do something, no time to cath a break, lets just say that you won't be dicking around with minimum wage. Advice is to do a good job even if it is demanding, being able to put Aldi as a reference improves your resume drastically if you did a good job (at least in Germany, but I'm sure that this trend will move to the States as well )

>Also, always maintain eye contact with the higher ups.

NEVER do this at Aldi! They're German and will take it is a challenge, and may start a fight to the death.

noice memes m8

Thanks. I got them fresh from Lidl.

And then they make a joke about their eyesight being shit, "oh I must be blind! Left my glasses at home!"

Ex Tesco here. I actually prefer the vibe in Aldi and Lidl to traditional supermarkets. I like that they're small and compact, with low shelves and less echoey.

Not sure I'd want to work there due to how understaffed they always seem to be. Must be a busy job which is reflected in the higher pay. Tesco was a breeze I could sit about in the warehouse talking shit for half an hour and nobody would bat an eyelid

>barcode scanner not working on first 2 attempts
>"I guess that means it's free today, huh?"

>Tesco was a breeze I could sit about in the warehouse talking shit for half an hour and nobody would bat an eyelid
It is literally impossible to do that in a German workplace unless you are taking a lunch break or something.

Be careful about exerting your body too much. My parents heard about a coworkers son who worked part-time at a grocery store as a stocker and messed up his back on the job and was not given worker's compensation for the injury.
Specifically at Aldi though, there's a bit of leeway for stockers and cashiers due to the increase in self-service the customer has to do. Like others have said, I have noticed that it's always understaffed so there's only so many coworkers you can rely on for help.

Also doesn't understand the Aldi cashiers are timed as to how fast they scan...

So yeah, completely ignore all the shit this basement dweller said.

I worked in Aldi when I was in school and I'm never ever going back to it.
I make a point of being extremely friendly and tolerant towards the staff in those stores because I know they're being worked like fucking dogs.
Not saying don't take the job, OP, but keep looking for something better while you're there.

Are you at a UK aldi? I work in one atm.

Actually, Germans stare directly at you a whole lot more.

Nope, US here

First day went as well as it could have gone. My manager is very laid back. The place is definitely understaffed but it wasn't unbearable.

>every retail job ever

Buy a small gift to the grocery store jester as you introduce yourself. It's best to get on their good side from the start

Bang all the girls that work there