What are things that ruin your mood when you try to cook in someone else's kitchen?

What are things that ruin your mood when you try to cook in someone else's kitchen?

>stale spices, or poor selection
>dull knives

>dull knives

It's definitely this for me. I brought some homemade smoked sausages, back bacon and belly bacon to my brother's for a family gathering and was trying to prep them by slicing thinly for a charcuterie plate and his chef's knives were all as dull as butter knives. I said, "wtf is this shit? Where's your sharpener" He said, "uh, I don't have one," and his wife piped in with, "we don't want to risk anyone getting cut." I actually drove to walmart and bought a pull through sharpener because my homemade charcuterie is not going to be fucked over by american women nonsense.

Irish stew guy detected

God how i hate this. You want to prepare something delicious and your whole plan gets fucked over because of basic shit like this. Both my mom and my sister only own dull knives. I can't even cut an onion propperly. I actually startet to bring new knives and leave them there when i want to cook something.

We just went to a holiday home and holy crap the knives sucked. Like you said, butter knive dull.
I wanted to slice bacon and i stood no chance. Where's the fun in cooking like that..
How can someone live like that? How can you cut stuff with shitty knives daily and not have a mental breakdown?

>grandma has one single knife she hast sharpened for ten years
>watching her use it is fucking scary, cant cut an onion with it
>u keep forgetting to bring her a new one

>cooking in other peoples kitchens
I bet you put your penis in other peoples butts

>what are family gatherings

Sight... just why?
Also, make a reminder in your phone to buy her really good knives for christmas NOW!

>dull knives
jupp. In-laws don't have a knife block, don't have a sharpener, wash their blades in the dishwasher. every damn time. i just bring my own knife if I know we're gonna stay long enough that we'll have to cook.

>really good knives
she wasnt a really good grandma

Never had major issues with knives so far but so far I haven't cooked in many people's places and most of the knives are okayish. My father used to be a chef so he owns good shit however if there's one thing that gets me every single time at everybody's home except my parents, it's
>Shitty non-stick pans.
I can still cook and do something but it's a fucking piece of shit to deglaze and make sauces.

>How can you cut stuff with shitty knives daily and not have a mental breakdown?
"Dull knives are safer!"
--my mom, and several other peoples' from the sound of it.

You put your penis in other peoples butts at family gatherings?
Ladies and gentlemen, the epitome of Veeky Forums.

Work kitchen, is dirty surfaces/ fucked up equipment. Someone else's kitchen, those fucking glass/ceramic cutting boards
Fuck those and the people who buy them.

My mom's kitchen frequently sends me into a rage, so I try to cook there as little as possible.

>Dull knives
>Stale spices
>No counter space
>Pots and pans stacked horribly on a shelf, lots of things fall when I pick something up
>Open tupperware/mesuring cup cabinet, get hit in the face by an avalanche of retardedly stacked tupperware
>Tiny ants are everywhere during summer
>Stovetop is covered in stacked cast iron pans
>Bad outlets, can only handle one appliance at a time, I've ran extension cords from the living room to use the microwave and a mixer simultaneously
>Has a new cat that lives in the kitchen, constantly meows and slithers between my feet

> stale spices
Shit, I didn't know this was a thing. It's there a chart for How long spices last? I'm doing to bet a bunch of mine are stale.

For me I guess it would be not having basic equipment like a spatula or saucepan.

This is annoying the shit out of me only from reading

You notice. Already grinded spices lose intensity rather fast. Make sure they are always stored correctly and yeah, maybe google how long you can keep each.
It's just no use to ruin a perfectly good meal with paprika that tastes like flour.

First thing i found

Also, it's worth it to buy really good spices. I've always bought which ever paprika. Then i went to hungary and since then i can't use that flavourless shit anymore.

> You can use the back of a ceramic cup or plate to sharpen the knives. Just make sure you're sharpening at aprox. 21 degrees for mot knives and you'll be all set. It might take some time, and the knife won't hold its edge for very long but it beats trying to cut with a dull af piece of crap.

>non-stick pots and pans

>mfw my sister offers to cook and she starts cutting onions with a steak knife...

Why don't you dishwasher knives?

they get dull faster (or at least zhey seem to), its really bad for the wooden handles and they chip when you just shove them in with other cutlery. also, its really way faster to just rinse them, wipe them with a sponge/dishcloth and rinse again to get the soap off.