Read for 30 min

>read for 30 min
>lurk for 2 hours
serious question Veeky Forums, how can I improve my reading habits?

Learn self control, retard

What kind of answer do you expect?

Turn off your internet.

Turn off your computer.

Turn off your brain.
With a loaded gun

>Learn self control,

How?

>Learn self control, retard
Oh yeah let me just go ahead and do that

...aaaaaaand DONE!

Now I finally have self control, thanks user!
I will go read now!

Don't lurk for 2 hours.
Procrastinate a few times, and take note of the reality of the situation, mainly
a) if you can remember that you're not supposed to lurk for 2 hours (if you can't you can still use clocks)
b)if you can trust yourself when you want to give yourself 5 more minutes of lurking (you'll probably discover that you're completely unreliable in this case, which should affect your rational judgement when you say to yourself "just 5 more minutes")

Be scientific about it: try to actually understand what you're doing when you procrastinate. At the moment you've probably only have a hazy idea of how you behave, since you've never actially took note of your most basic and internalized habits. Once you'll have these crucial informations, it will be easier to oppose these istincts (and at the very least you will be aware of what your failures and successes actually are).

This is what every therapist in the world will tell you.

It's called self-control, only you can control that and manipulate it. There is no "learning self control." You just realize your a faggot and you change.

Go read somewhere else. Coffee shop.

"Learn" isn't the correct word. Practice self control. Resist temptations and distractions. Set goals to read for X minutes today and increase it by a few minutes a day until you reach your goal.

When you start lurking set a timer for 30 mins. When times up go resume your life.

>look at the clock to check how long I've been reading for
>an hour
>check how many pages I've read in that time
>ten

I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on Veeky Forums anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.

>read three paragraphs
>begin edging
>notice that I'm edging
>masturbate for 2 - 3 hours
>ejaculate
>try reading again
>feel sleepy and demotivated
>read the wikipedia / goodreads summary and mark as read
>go downstairs and insist that my mom should read the book
>she says she's tired and busy
>explain at length why she will never be more than a proletarian
>take my dinner upstairs and listen to punk pop until 4am

I haven't seen this in so long. I missed it.

I've been reading the same book for the past nine months. My attention span is shit, my mind wanders constantly and my eyes just drift over the page without comprehending anything. Sometimes it takes me seven minutes to read a single page, and I don't even absorb any information. I've gone back to re read passages and realized that I completely missed the point of the passage on the first read through. Not only am I shit at reading, but I can't motivate myself to read which is why I have spent the last year+ trying to read the same book.
I probably spend a hundred hours playing vidya and browsing Veeky Forums for every hour spent reading.
I've read maybe like three books total since I was 14, outside of mandated school books.
How do I change my habits Veeky Forums? I want to read more so that I can shitpost here with confidence. How do I improve my ability to concentrate?

I have the same problem. It is fucking irritating. What I also could add, I made an experiment cutting off the Internet and electronic devices completely, I used my phone only for calls and reading, no social media whatsoever, I am sure Veeky Forums faggots would be able to do that.

I was fucking devastated from being bored, for, like, three days it was nothing but craving the fucking Internet and smartphone. I also forced myself to sleep at 20:00, which worked, but I noticed how hyperactive I am, so I deepen down into my fantasies and only then fall asleep. A week had passed, and suddenly I felt I could concentrate without interruptions for a long time, but as soon as I fall into my old habits everything is destroyed.

Either this or take adderall/vivanse/ritalin/meth.

this really is the only option to ever get anything done

Serious Answer

You have to go on a vision quest

You take off all your clothes, have a chamber pot on standby, but you can only have few cups of water and no eating or sleeping for two days. Attempting this will cause you to faint or view some sort of "vision". This vision is a sign or guardian who has the answer for what your purpose in life is. After encountering him/her, you will never have to worry about whether you are working hard again.

I wish i could attempt it one day myself.

When my girlfriend of several years broke up with me, I went on a quest to find myself. I stopped talking to all friends and family members, sold my video games, stopped watching television, stopped masturbating, all that. I just started reading. Two years later and I'm a good part of the way through the Western canon. Would suggest it if you don't mind being miserable yet extremely productive.

got to bed Coelho

Should've been number one, thanks user