Tfw want to buy a non-stain resistant carbon steel knife

>tfw want to buy a non-stain resistant carbon steel knife
>tfw I just know someone will eventually come into my kitchen, use the knife without my knowledge, and fuck up the knife somehow

Do I have to store it in a special hiding place after every time I use it?

>non-stain resistant
double negative

Same dilemma.
I'd want some really good knives, but i know the day will come that my husband is too lazy to wash them and just throws them into the dishwasher. Sight.

Maybe hide them, yes.

>husband

roastie leave reeeeeeeeeeee

Maybe i'm gay. What do you know /r9k/?

I keep my knifes in individual sheaths and store them in a box in my room so my housemates don't try to like carve granite with them. Works good.

If that ever happens, it's literally one trip to your local sharpener/keyshop to fix it.

If it's a rust issue you don't even have to go that far. Just steel wool it.

Let your knives develop a natural patina you dumb niggers. What kind of faggot buys a carbon steel kitchen knife and worries about it staining? Stick to stainless you perverse mongrels.

>fuck up the knife somehow
>somehow

like leaving it to soak and rust in the sink, running it through the dishwasher, using it to cut shit on the granite countertop, cutting cake on a glass platter, chopping carrots on ceramic plates (with a nice "ding" as they force the blade though the carrot and it hits the ceramic), using it as a can opener, using the tip to lever open some lid, dropping it, slamming it onto a $5 honing rod ... in my experience the multitude of ways that people can fuck up nice knives is nothing short of astonishing.

Just keep it in your room if you share your kitchen, that's what I do
I always use it for cooking but I still have a cheap knife in the kitchen if I don't want to get my nice one

Also don't drop 300 bucks on your first carbon knife, it probably will get a few nicks and learning to sharpen correctly will take a while
Get a cheap one from Jap first, they are still a lot better than western knifes in the same price range

Why do you people who can't afford your own place think you need a high end knife? It is not going to be a life altering experience. Just get a decent stainless for a 10th of the cost and stop sweating the small shit.

>roastie
>for committing to one man who she apparently cooks for

We've really lost control of this word.

I'm not sure anyone "needs" it. But it can be a hobby just like anything else. Most gamers don't NEED a super high end PC. A musician doesn't NEED a fancypants expensive instrument. A gearhead doesn't NEED his expensive sports car. And so on. Everybody spends money on their hobbies.

And frankly, buying a nice knife isn't a bad use of money if user takes care of it. He could be using that knife every day for the rest of his life. That's a lot more practical than buying the latest smartphone or PC hardware which will be obsolete in 6 months.

>tfw using the same laptop for the past 5 years.

It's a good fucking laptop

Same here. But I wasn't referring to normal use. I was referring to the hardcore gamers who ride the edge and have to have the absolute best.

>roastie
You dont actually know what that means, newfag.
Lurk Moar.

Stop escaping the asylum, it's for everyone's good.

alright i'll share a few room mate knife stories with you all.

So my black somalin room mate jibril (who is 30) needed to open a can of food but he had forgotten the can opener at his work. dismayed by this problem he came to me the powerful white man to advise him. I showed jibril a dark and forbidden technique meant only to be used in emergencies , how to pry off/open the top of the can with the blade. Naturally jibril went on to use every single knife in the house in this manner until they were all ruined, serrated knives, stainless steel knives, parrying knives, steak knives. i have to hand him credit. it only took around 8 weeks for him to ruin every knife before he brought the can opener back from work.

My next story revolves around a belligerent nutjob in his 60's, bowden. now bowden was moving out of his rental property he had been at for the last 8 years because well...he was sick of the landlords shit. now this man had a massive vendetta because the landlord still had his damage deposit, so on the last day as he was moving out he was flying around the house like a mad man, he picks up two big knives out of the knife block and starts banging them against one another blade on blade, sparks are flying. he stops after a half a dozen blows to the blade, when i inspected them he had caused chips along the edge but no cracks into the knives themselves surprisingly.

>look at wa gyutos
>want octagonal handle
>octagonal handle automatically makes the knife 50% more expensive

wtf i hate japan now

resistant isn't a negative word.

Huh. I've never thought of it like that. Funny seeing they look a bit like a broom handle, especially the ones without a ferrule.
Wa handles are awesome though. I could never go back to those shitty western style handles.

>tfw AUS-8 stainless knife and someone STILL managed to fuck it up

Abandon all hope ye who interacts with human beings