How do you deal with not being smart enough to make contributions to math/science field youre passionate about?

How do you deal with not being smart enough to make contributions to math/science field youre passionate about?

>mfw i can go to grad school but probably will never become an academic who spends my life in research

Apply your passion to set other fields aflame.

I know I'll never be great, but at least I'll be good.
I just want to be the best I can be.

This right here.

You're making me tear up.

What field? And how do you know you can't? If you are too dumb to contribute, you are probably too dumb to study it. If you are able to understand the models you are studying, whose to say you won't figure out one yourself? Notice I am not telling people with sub 130 IQs to study Physics. The vast majority of them won't make it. But if you are smart enough to understand a field, or a sub field, then you are smart enough to contribute to it.

>Notice I am not telling people with sub 130 IQs to study Physics.
That's nonsense. There's plenty of eperimental work to be done in physics.Just like there's combinatorics and probability research in math. You don't need to be brilliant to work in those fields.

You wouldn't be able to understand the models.

How many breakthroughs have YOU made in the past year, if you would be so kind?

That doesn't prevent you from working in those fields and publishing

Maybe, but I would love to see all these experimentalists with sub 130 IQs. There might be one or two.

>How do you deal with not being smart enough to make contributions to math/science field youre passionate about?
what do I care what other think about me math is a fun hobby, no different from not making the top leaderboards in some video game

literally who cares

Also, I love being attacked for giving people good advice. How many people are duped into trying to be Physics and Math majors only to be overwelmed? Tons. And then when they switch to Bio and apply to med school their GPAs are shot. I am trying to help people.

Smart people don't get IQ tests because they don't care about some dumbass test. There's no way to say a field is limited to certain IQs because there's barely any data if any at all.

That's fine for you but some people have desire to do particular work/research and take it seriously.

>Smart people don't get IQ tests because they don't care about some dumbass test. There's no way to say a field is limited to certain IQs because there's barely any data if any at all.
Obviously Feyman didn't have a 123 IQ, if that is what you mean.

Someone who is very intelligent, much smarter than their peers, can safely ignore low IQ scores. For most people they are accurate enough to be informative.

>That's fine for you but some people have desire to do particular work/research and take it seriously.
When she was 8 someone asked my cousin what she wanted to be when she grew up. With the resolve only an eight-year old can muster she said, "A horse."

I don't think 130 IQ is the right theoretical cut-off point (which I doubt there is one). I'm pretty sure that would be assuming 140-145 IQ to be the average, which would make most physicists genius or near genius.

God, I fucking hate IQ threads.

Ah shit, I resurrected this thread.

I don't know where you are getting that estimate from since a subsection of a population does not usually have the same standard deviation as the parent population. Anyways, again, I am just trying to help people. There are plenty of ex-math/engineers/physics/etc majors out there who were duped into thinking they could get by solely with hard work. It isn't a good thing to tell people. It hurts more people than it helps.

I don't really disagree with you, but don't you think just the fact that a person has genuine interest in these studies show sufficient IQ to study them and work in that field?
I mean, the average roofer or cashier doesn't really have interest in physics or chemistry. Even people that strive to be in a field that pays more shows that you're at least average in intelligence.
>It hurts more people than it helps
Ugh, I don't know whether to agree or disagree with this. It's true that some people should just go for an apprenticeship in a trade (which actually pays more money than your average college graduate) instead of going into debt and wasting time at a university/community college, but how could you know you were capable without even trying?
Honestly, I feel if you passed Calculus 2 without too much trouble, you can definitely get a math degree.

>How many people are duped into trying to be Physics and Math majors only to be overwelmed? Tons

Very few actually, because those fields don't make money.

Get the fuck out of this board already. Clearly you're not intelligent enough to meaningfully contribute to actual intelligent scientific discussion, which is this board's actual purpose, yet you still post here expecting a pity party for your literal retardation.

May I suggest /r9k/, /tv/, /v/ or /pol/ where you'll be able to whine in good company?

This. IQ deniers are, fittingly, dimwitted. Maybe you can get through a tough janitorial shift with great willpower, but for STEM a strong mind is a preclusion, with willpower playing a very miniscule role if at all.

By being passionate about my field and not passionate about inflating my ego.

kek
virtue signaling do-gooders always do more damage than good

>always do more damage than good
lol ok

>with willpower playing a very miniscule role if at all.
Disregarded.

lol at defining your ability being by anything other than what youve been able to do. forever

I know how you feel man
I am a fucking BRAINLET and obese, and I am supposed to be studying english literature but I am desperate to be a scientist, just too stupid.
Honestly I have been trying to contribute to the science departments at my University by eating very acidic food every day then coughing up my stomach lining, it is a slow process but I am hoping to get enough fatty acid that I can donate it to the nutrition science department. hopefully I will die as well.

I ended up switching to mathematics education for grad school because I realized this. Better to be a great teacher and hopefully make a difference in the life of a genius.

that's why I became a lawyer and just look at maths in my free time

Do what all the other brainlet hacks do and become a "popularizer."

Chomsky wrote a history book largely from memory from research he did when he was 12.

>I ended up switching to mathematics education for grad school because I realized this.
Same here. I'm painfully aware of the fact that I'll never become an innovator, though my passion for the discipline itself hasn't diminished.

are u that calculus guy i remember reading side note about??

Carve out your own field. That's what I did and it was the best thing I've ever done.

I first got a biology degree with a focus on human anatomy, specifically of the muscles. I then branched out and got a masters degree in anthropology. My PhD was then a mix of anatomical biology (specifically of the penis), and anthropology (essentially studying the masturbatory behaviours of humanoids and how the penis evolved throughout this time).

I chose this path because I love masturbating - I'll be honest and say I always have, and I also love the science and history behind it. Hope to write a book soon.

I feel like this board is becoming like /r9k/ or incels for academia.

I started studying biology because I liked reading about snakes, but I worry that the novelty won't hold up in grad school. It's good to know you can turn passion into a scientific career, even if your passion is dick squirting.

What do you like to look at? Smell? Taste? Hear? Touch? Isn't that a study? Aren't you smart enough to type? Stop crying And start studying

Study your tears

>It's good to know you can turn passion into a scientific career
Which is exactly why I went into Linguistics.