Hello Veeky Forums, is it technologically feasible to clone dead pets from a DNA sample and, if so...

Hello Veeky Forums, is it technologically feasible to clone dead pets from a DNA sample and, if so, will this become an affordable service similar to 23andMe in the coming decades?
My cat died a few days ago and I collected some of its furr just in case.

Other urls found in this thread:

viagenpets.com/cost-to-clone-pet/
sciencefocus.com/qa/why-do-identical-twins-have-different-fingerprints
nytimes.com/2009/10/06/science/06qna.html
viagenpets.com/cloned-animals-act-original-animal/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

bump

I'm not used to slow boards...
Bump.

Or you could buy a new one from the same breed

Yes and no.

There's projects trying to do this with extinct animals like the Mammoth who's blood has been preserved in samples of amber.

It's ongoing but maybe one day.

Sooam Biotech does this. It is very expensive though.

I think rich Chinese people have been doing this for a while, using some genetics labs which get extra funding this way.

You needed blood or marrow.
Although you could scavange enough DNA with a scan of the hair and follicles for recreation of the dna whole structure.

:(

What the fuck? I had no idea this was a thing people did. Holy shit.

It's done.
Cats are cheaper.
>viagenpets.com/cost-to-clone-pet/
Don't expect a cat which looks and acts like a photocopy of the original.
Clone a tortoiseshell, get a tortoiseshell. But the exact markings are random.
And personality depends on upbringing, so that's a crapshoot.

You'd likely do as well or better by going to the pound and adopting a "rescue". There, at least, you can see what you're getting and observe it in action.

Oh that's too bad, it's allready been cremated. Still, it's fascinating that this is allready possible.

I realize that upbringing is an improtant factor but shouldn't a genuine clone at least look exactly as the original? I mean, twins are essentially identical, right?

The picture shows a dog and its clone.
Not identical.
Very similar but, as I said, the exact markings are random. A gene is not a cell-by-cell blueprint. It's more like a set of general instructions.
Identical twins have similar, but different, fingerprints.
sciencefocus.com/qa/why-do-identical-twins-have-different-fingerprints
nytimes.com/2009/10/06/science/06qna.html

viagenpets.com/cloned-animals-act-original-animal/

Could this be aplicable to humans?

labs could 100% clone a human no problem, the issue is ethical. I wouldnt be surprised if some random obscure as shit chinese lab has done it and just aborted them pretty latestage

Difficult to say for certain.
Varies between species.
I don't even know if anyone has cloned chimps yet.
Even with dogs and sheep, most of the attempts are failures. It's hardly a mature field.

And what would be the point? You don't get a Xerox of the original.
You get an infant. We already know how to crank them out by the millions every day. And, if I may say so, the "traditional" method is always likely to be more fun than a technician with a petri dish.
A clone of Einstein or Feynman or Newton isn't guaranteed to be a genius. The potential might be there, but environment counts more in humans than it does with sheep.

Only reason I can think of for cloning people is to provide genetically matched organs.
No only would that be unethical, but you'd have to wait years for them to grow to the right size. If you're looking for a replacement heart, that's too late.
Research should go into cloning PARTS or humans. You could probably mature a lung or a kidney in much less time and not have to deal with moral problems.

>is it technologically feasible to clone dead pets from a DNA sample
What would be the point? Despite what crappy scifi shows, cloning doesn't "copy" a person (or animal).

For the profit. Duh.

But you can only profit if people believe those crappy sci-fi shows.
Veeky Forums isn't the best place, but at least the OP was smart enough to ask before blowing a fortune on a clone
I hope he adopts from a shelter and he and the kitten are very happy together.

For teh lulz

lul

Could also get a cat that's been there a while since they need adoption too.

>But you can only profit if people believe those crappy sci-fi shows.

Then you can become very, very rich.

Yes, but with out a simcording it won't know you and will grow up with a different personality due to different experiences. It may even look a bit different.

I disagree. Once cloning becomes reasonably cheap (maybe quadruple what a new animal from the store costs) people will want to clone their pets simply for convenience and for familiarity reasons.
For example, I own a cat and it's an excellent cat. I'd be willing to pay 4x times the cost of a regular cat to have a (somewhat imperfect) replica rather than buying a new one (even the same breed).
I'm sure the market is tremendous. Think of all the old cat and dog ladies who treat their pets like surrogate children...

The tech is so simple that you can probably do it at home. Like those DIY CRISPR kits. You'd just need a surrogate cat or one of those Biobag artificial wombs.

Holy shit imagine the horrendous abortions that will prop up when people inevitably fuck up

The future is bright, the future is now.