What book fucked you up the most, Veeky Forums? Be honest

What book fucked you up the most, Veeky Forums? Be honest.

jung. it made me LARP for a few months.

And that's NO. JOKE.

Jung is great, just started to read him.

NEET-Chans works, of course. Literally changed my life.

Virginia Woolf's The Waves threw me into a minor existential crisis but there were other external factors too.

Jude the Obscure by Hardy
Les Mis by Hugo
You Can't Go Home Again by Wolfe

David Benioff's City of Thieves killed me. First time I legit fell in love with a character. I laughed, I cried. I laughed while I was crying.

still trying to recover from The Sea of Fertility four years later desu.

in the lake of the woods- tim o'brien

I wish so I could find something like this tbqhwy. So far, nothing has come to close to my own self for fucking me up.

Aristotle's Metaphysics

catch-22 made me cry like a bitch

t. pleb

>unironically calling yourself bitch
Kys faggot

i don't even feel things anymore so nothing does it for me

>unironically using the anacronym kys

end your life

A Seperate Peace, It was right after I unitentionally caused a family member harm.

Les Mis

The Metamorphoses, i read it when i was 9 (no clue why, i just picked it up from the library and had no clue about it's importance) and it gave me endless anxieties attacks

A Little Cloud from Dubliners really fucked me up because i too am the apex of mediocrity with delusions/pretensions of writing

I'm an unironic Nazi faggot who lifts now

Stoner

DUDE

no literature really fucks me up but the stupid YA novel "Speak" convinced me not to speak for my sophomore year of high school and completely withdraw into myself. I had no reason like the girl in the book did either, who was raped. I just didn't like to speak and it's probably why I'm so quiet and shy to this day, although things are better. Still confounds me...

Had a panic attack reading Marx and critical theory and was well fucked up for a good few months after

>having a panic attack reading philosophy
I wish I could get that involved while reading philosophy. sounds intense. How do you read Leibniz or Spinoza or Berkeley or any other super metaphysical philosopher

>novel called "Speak"
>makes user do the exact opposite

wow

Armageddon: A Novel of Berlin to be honest.

it's about being silent when you should've spoken up

no longer human for sure.

Hmm yeah you're right, thought I didn't have anything.

But I read catch-22 when I was about 10 so yeah that bit did get me pretty hard in a few ways.

woah

Not that guy, but maybe you were just numbed already by the time you read the 2deep4u stuff? It's probably a symptom of not startig with the Greeks as well; one of my first attempts to read philosophy was Hume. Wasn't impossible to read but definitely triggered a ">really makes you think" anxiety crisis on me for several weeks. And I also lost much of it before returning with more background.

Basically Anton la Vey and Dostoevsky.
like wow dude, God exists and so do Satanists.
Though most of them just want to turn a bunch of frogs gay.
I guess if you took a good look at my current collection I could get a bunch of you mad jelly, but I haven't really read most of them yet.

Post a picture of your collection or list some of them.

Interesting. I would've thought Hume would be an easy place to start reading philosophy, as he was one of the first guys I read, but not the very first. I guess I had a similar experience reading Jung because I just don't think the way he does and it was shocking to see the vast amount of connections he makes as well as the historical breadth he covers. I'm a fairly insular person so stuff that Leibniz, Kant, Spinoza, and Hume wrestle with have been things I've just always thought about myself before I even knew about them, although of course way more primitively.

>unironically telling someone to end their life
Seek God

I got all things Orwell, Huxley and Dahl a thicc book full of shakespear and my latest addition of every word Kafka ever wrote. I started my collection of humble with about twenty blue books by a man named Jules Verne.
I also got my hand on some weirder stuff like The golem and a book about Jewish fairy tales.

I get a lot of books for free, because paper is overrated and shit and libraries be going out of business, so this the time to get the best books for cheap.

the Bible
it also saved my (eternal) life

>unironically beliving in God
Seek enlightenment

>unironically seeking enlightenment

jus b urself

I read 1984 when I was pretty young

really fucked with my head

>unironically being yourself

Read the Postmodernists

i read it ten years ago and thought it was pretty funny
i re-read it last year and found it haunting and tragic

How did Les Mis fuck you up? Because it fucked me up too, but I want to know if you had a similar reaction. I read about how good a guy Valjean was and it made me feel really bad about every little thing I did wrong. It really fucked up my self esteem, now even to this day I try my damnedest to be the best person I can possibly be and just go into a panic whenever I accidentally do something mean.
Also, it made me feel like I wanted to go to church. Just for the sake of having a routine of struggle like Valjean. I don't even believe in God, but I just imagined myself being "the nonbeliever who went to church". I kind if liked that image.
Mostly though it just made me feel like I need to struggle more. So for like half a year I didn't do any sort of leisure or really anything unless it was productive. I didn't drink. I didn't game. I didn't use the internet. I didn't jerk off (this was hard at first, but it gets easier with time). I didn't do anything but go to work and do my own work in my free time. I was actually not unhappy with this, but it also alienated me from all my friends who just wanted to go out and party or game. Eventually, I gave this up just so I could keep my buds, but I still think about going back to it from time to time. I hate to say it, but my friends all just waste my time that I could be reading or writing or working. I love them, but they just interfere with the productive lifestyle that I've gotten a taste of.

WEED

Fredric Jameson, The Political Unconscious

this too, though, verbatim. instilled in me a sense of the conspiratorial nature of power and the inherent powerlessness of the populace that probably made me susceptible to marxism.

The Podesta Emails.

Not even kidding. Still recovering from the existential crisis.

A sunlit acre of hate was some god-tier writing.

I read John Cheever's The Hartleys this morning and it was a pretty terrible way to start the day

this

The laddie reckons himself a poet!

>

>blueberry desert boys

good Veeky Forums nickname

Room by Emma Donoghue

Notes From Underground

Alan Watts made me a NEET