What philosophical works explore the themes found in serial experiments lain?

What philosophical works explore the themes found in serial experiments lain?

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ShoutOut/SerialExperimentsLain
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Some french faggots: deleuze, baudrillard

do they have to be gay?

Nah, just French

Anything by Nick Land

The Gutenberg Galaxy

What's the difference?

read mcluhan

Like GitS Lain doesn't really have a developed philosophy, It's all style over substance.

Only if you're too dense to understand it.

Sorry senpai but we've gotta rip of this bandage early in your Veeky Forums career: you study more complex philosophy in AP than shown in theses animu.

Benjamin Bratton's work on global computation

>You'll study more philosophy in an advanced philosophy class than a cartoon.
Wow, who would have fucking thought?

>AP
>Advanced
Oh user, AP is still high school level.

lain is edgy pseud garbage. all it does is focus on a rare potential subjective reaction to a potential but unlikely social structure. it's yawn-tier.

so maybe some george orwell?

You're taught on a college-level in AP. It is by definition, at least to an extent, "advanced." It's in the fucking name.
That's besides the point anyway. Yes, you obviously are going to get more out of a subject through any decent schooling than a fucking 12-episode cartoon. That doesn't mean the show itself is inherently shallow. It's not supposed to be an academic resource.

Jung's Red Book.

I've seen series that have contributed to my life philosophically more than some uni courses I've taken.

lain is not one of those series. it was a cringy overhyped waste of time.

>imblyign

Those being?

and lurk. no spoonfeeding for lainfags.

>I've seen series that have contributed to my life philosophically

>it is possible to convey philosophical information in a book but not in visual media
insects. stridulate for me more of your ignorant shrieks.

A book that is specifically designed to go into hundreds of pages in depth and detail on a philosophical concept is going to do much more for you than an animation that uses said concept to influence a narrative for entertainment in a short time slot.
That's why you much more often see philosophers writing books instead of making animation or films.

there are tons of series with much, much longer scripts than many philosophy books, if text length is your argument you're shooting yourself in the foot.

>you're taught on a college level in SO
>you're taught on a college level
>taught
>college level

Learn something about the world

*AP

>if text length is your argument
It wasn't. Try reading post again.

RIP the best imageboard lainchan

2012-2017

kalyx stole a password and wiped the server and administration was too faggy to try anything new on the reboot, so some mods left and made a shitty .jp migration

>designed to go into hundreds of pages in depth and detail
but it is.
>hurr no my argument was it was designed around presenting a philosophical concept!
are you implying that there is no visual media that is designed in the same way? observably false. I presumed your argument was length because this is obvious.

>I can't answer the question so i'll act like a snob and be snobbishly obscure.
Not nice.

Follow up on the links mentioned here: tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ShoutOut/SerialExperimentsLain

(A note to wannabe snobs: I am leaving this thread, so acting like a ba---rd about somebody not riding your cold icicle d--k wagon will achieve nothing.)

My argument was not solely on the length of the text, you fucking idiot. It's on what the two mediums are trying to do. My point is that a book that goes into massive detail is going to convey the subject better than a TV show or film that's not trying to do that. A TV show or film is usually going to use those philosophical concepts to drive the narrative, not to actually educate the concept itself. Actually try reading the entire fucking post instead of picking apart a small section of it and claiming that's my entire point.

>hurr no my argument was it was designed around presenting a philosophical concept!
That's not my argument either. It's designed around presenting and educating a philosophical concept in depth. A TV show or film, especially an animation, made for entertainment isn't.

Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch is exactly what you're looking for

>everyone is a new fag expect me
>I don't have to explain my opinion, only express it
How convenient