An efficient alternative to coffee

>bringing to you: Yerba Mate tea
it has roughly the same amount of caffeine as coffee but the effect doesn't occur shortly after, rather about 3 hours after consumption, and lasts longer. Also there are some vitamins that keep you healthy.
Mate tea was shown to kill cancer cells (if not consumed together with tobacco, alcohol or other addicting shit) and prevent diabetes.
It's also pretty cheap and with a bit sugar has an awesome taste.
Guess I already wrote a poem for Veeky Forums standards so I leave it here. You can do research on your own.
(The pic shows the traditional way of drinking that tea but actually 3 tea spoons are enough for one cup)

>the effect doesn't occur shortly after, rather about 3 hours after consumption

Garbage.
I need to wake up first thing in the morning, not two hours after I have already wrapped myself around a tree trying to drive while still half asleep.

This. Coffee is shit, at least it hits when you want it to though.

Plus I'm not sure how the caffeine would hit later? Surely it would be absorbed like any other caffeine molecule.

sorry, should've added that it depends on how long you let it brew. 1-3 minutes give you a "kick" shortly after, more than 5 minutes result in a later kick. It's because of some chemicals that retard the effect but since I'm not a chemistry expert that's the only thing I can say about it

>don't talk to me until three hours after I've finished my yerba!

Nice meme you retard.

>kills cancer cells

lol no
take your grandmas gossip talk somewhere else.
>prevents diabetes
pls explain how

If you thought coffee snobs were annoying, wait until you meet a mate snob. They're insufferable.

I drink mate every morning. I feel much better now that I stopped drinking coffee. Cruz de Malta is my favorite brand. Always get the kind with stems.

if you're not Argentine, stop being such a retarded hipster

>coffee
Real men sip.

>stems
typical ameritards

What if we started drinking it in Argentina?

The best alternative to coffee is not drinking coffee

The second I stopped drinking coffee I started dropping dead at 9 pm at night and waking up at 4:45 every morning, fully refreshed, without an alarm.

Actually the roasting process of the leaves introduces hydrocarbons that can increase the risk of cancer. Drinking any hot beverage increases the risk of esophageal cancer. Mate is the same as any other tea, it has some antioxidants but it's not a miracle beverage.

>he effect doesn't occur shortly after, rather about 3 hours after consumption
bullshit, it works fast just like coffee, except you need to steep it many times, so the whole drinking process takes a bit longer
> lasts longer
true, up to 5 or 6 hours in my experience
> there are some vitamins that keep you healthy
true
>It's also pretty cheap
mostly true, depending on where you live
remember to never buy yerba mate at teashop prices, those are a total ripoff. buy prepackaged south-american brands instead.
>with a bit sugar
I'd say it's better without sugar, but do as you wish
>actually 3 tea spoons are enough for one cup
it won't have the effect you're looking for then
you need to fill a small cup at least 1/3rd of the way
it's impossible to be snobby about mate, because mate has no grades like coffee or tea
all mate is good mate, it's all preference
maybe you can be snobby about the cup and drinking straw, but that's just kinda silly

in general I recommend this shit, works for much longer than coffee, makes you relaxed and is supposed to be decently healthy too

fuck off dumb preppy hipsters
mate is OURS

you can just buy unroasted mate though

then you're one of those pretentious hipsters that travels to third world countries and copies their customs in a vague attempt to pretend like you're cultured.
>I went to Argentina now I drink mate
>I went to Bolivia now I chew coca leaves
>I went to Brazil now I do capobayra
>I went to Mexico now I put chili on everything
>I went to Venezuela now I eat nothing

E S T O
S
T
O

>It's another attention seeking argentinian

This ia great, I can have my coffee and when it wears off the tea kicks in. Thanks op

Yerbetta believe it!

>tea has as much caffeine as coffee
horseshit. that only holds true pre-processing (comparing a leaf to a bean) but an actual cup of coffee contains much more than a cup of tea

I use this

That’s bullshit you have no idea what you’re talking about. You even admit you have no idea. Please remove yourself from the gene pool.

that's because yerba mate is not tea, it's a completely different plant

>It's because of some chemicals that retard the effect
the only retard here is you

And where'd you hear this? Some yoga blog?

>yerba mate is inconsistently stocked at grocery store.
>find out Brisk makes yerba mate now
>find some at store and try it
>tastes like fruity brisk

not matefag, but this poster sounds more jealous than reasoned. hipsterism is nonsense, but absorbing stuff you learn in the world is just a better way to live.

ZING OF THE DAY

>venezuela
Kek. What's so wrong with expanding your horizons though? Do you prefer to be the apple and starbucks family of fatties in that pic that gets posted here all the time

doesn't that contain DMT?

Idk but it makes me feel pretty good and focused for around 3 or 4 hours. Only take 2 or 3 grams a few times a week. I primarily use it as a preworkout

The type of people who drink yerba mate are the type off faggots who slackline and smoke weed all day. Millenials who think they're fucking awesome and enlightened, but have a fake humble vibe that makes them seem even more self centered.

I'm not against yerba mate though. Seems interesting- but it's western fans are cancer.

more peeved, since OP has obviously no idea what he's talking about in his posts. if you like mate, that's cool but when op tries to push it on others by spouting incorrect bs and lies that's where I'm mad. if he really was a mate aficionado or even just liked it he would know the bullshit he speaks is just that, bullshit. it's like if I come over to your house and I see you drink some weird brand of cola, and I start drinking it. you'd be honored and happy you shared your cola tastes with someone else, but then you overhear me telling some guy lies about how this cola brand has caffeine that hits you 3 hours later but if you let it sit there a while it hits you faster, and how it's not really cola but some other flavor and it'll make you grow 5 inches taller, then you get mad

>he still doesnt know what a meme is

>maybe you can be snobby about the cup and drinking straw, but that's just kinda silly
They are, and about the whole mate ritual. There's a protocol for that shit, like you can't wipe the straw, or have to take it with one hand, shit like that

Is it pronounced m8 or mah-tay?

says who you retarded hipster?

that's pretty absurd then
I think that kind of douchebaggery is less common the more mainstream mate is in a given country
here in Poland it's popular enough that people generally don't fall for this hippie mystical ritual bullshit

ofc there are some basic rules to mate-drinking like proper water temperature, but these have an actual practical reason
mah-tay or mah-teh

Okay, but I like the taste of coffee.

This. Coffee builds a tolerance, the only reason you need a cup in the morning is because you're chemically dependent on caffeine. You should only be drinking coffee for the flavour.

ok fair.

also, I think it's hilarious that no one is talking about how mate tastes like vegetal shit. it's like drinking foul bitter grass juice. coffee is superior in every way.

Say the retarded hipsters who actually do this, retard.

nah son, kratom contains an opioid compound. so that guy saying "I feel focused for 3-4 hrs a week, only take it a few times a week" will be saying in 6 months, "please god, release me from this slavery, what happened, how did I get like this." it's popular now cuz of the opiate epidemic, people trying to get off oxy/heroin will start using it, but it's still opioid and it's still addictive.

-a friendly clean junkie

>Yerba Mate tea
i always like trying new foreign things like this. i recently found kombucha at my grocery store and although it is kinda sharp on the tongue, like a battery shock from a d battery on the tongue, it has helped settle my stomach a bit.

ill have to try this sometime, thanks

posted this before reading the thread. goddamn i didnt think people would get this worked up over caffeine and shit

>mate tea
that thing doesnt have anything to do with tea so please dont call it that

Been taking it off and on for over a year now. I cycle off for a month then back on for a month.

You are the worst kind of faggot

not all of us are junkies, but I've found that even with the less-addiction prone, if you keep dancing close to active addiction over and over, eventually the hooks get in you.

do your thing, but don't think kratom is somehow safer or any less dangerous than other opioids.

Well it doesn affect the liver nearly as much and only has real opioid like effects at higher doses.

>53 posts
>not one person mention matcha

i had it in japan. wasnt that great. a lot of japanese food was really underwhelming when i was over there. best food was indian desu. japanese curry doesnt cut it. but then again, maybe thats why they are so skinny over there.

>MFW I went to Morocco and occasionally wipe with water instead of TP (and wash my hands as I always did)

I think it's opioid but not opiate (or the other way around), so far less dangerous.
Still addictive and a pain in the ass to kick, but not ridiculously hard.

kratom is not addicting at all, at least psychologically. I only take it once a week but I really couldn't see myself becoming dependent on it. It's mildly pleasant but honestly I prefer the high from a few cups of coffee

I rarely drink coffee or have caffeine. When I have a cup of coffee, the effects last about 48 hours. They start about 10 mins or so after the first drink.

Anyone drink Guayusa ? I love it. The energy is so much different than coffee

>Common minor side effects may include nausea, vomiting, and constipation.[3] More severe side effects may include seizure, addiction, and psychosis.[3][8][9][10] Other side effects may include high heart rate and blood pressure, trouble sleeping, and, rarely, liver toxicity.[3][10][11] When use is stopped, withdrawal may occur.[6][7] Respiratory depression (decreased breathing) is a major risk with all opioids;[12]:196 the medical literature is divided on whether it is a significant side effect of kratom, with some authorities not mentioning it[8][11] and others emphasizing it.[9][13] Deaths have occurred when kratom was present, mixed with other substances.[6][7] In the United States, there were fifteen kratom-related deaths between 2014 and 2016,[14] although, in none was kratom thought to be the sole factor.[7]

>no clinical trials have been conducted

How do people manage to get hung up on coffee? It's the most benign beverage I can think of.

The main thing I enjoy about it is the warmth in my stomach. Some coffee is genuinely delicious, but most is garbage

I actually am very intolerant to opiates, so I took kratom as an alternative for my joint pain. It worked great for the first few months, but now if I try to take it, I get extremely nauseous and dizzy like I do with hydrocodone and the like.

It sucks since I liked the stuff, but I just deal with the pain since the nausea makes it even more difficult for me to concentrate on work.

Shut the fuck up Patel

Have you tried cbd oil and glucosamine? I take both and it helps my knee problem a lot

>Hi ERB, we would like to run a clinical trial on this drug that has been found to kill people in certain circumstances
Guess what, there have never been any clinical trials run on if smoking causes cancer either

It's "killed people" in the same ways marijuana has. Used alone it has never caused death.

Also they test plenty of worse drugs on people. See: Blood pressure medicine.

I do take glucosamine and my symptoms have improved slightly (although changes in weather REALLY fuck me up.) CBD is something I have looked into as well. It doesn't cause a positive result on drug tests, right? Trying to stay clean so I can get a new job.

>Shut the fuck up Patel
ooh you like them nuggies lil boy? open up for da plane

Designated shitting streets

No there's no thc in cbd oil. It's not a miracle supplement, but taking it every day does help manage pain.
Costco sells glucosamine with chondroitin which works really well if you're just taking straight glucosamine right now

>mah-tay or mah-teh
Spanks

western fans? you know mate is from south, not east, do you? In any case northen fans.

>Yerma Mate tea
>yer ma matey

Arrrrrgh m8y

>capobayra

Capoeira you ignorant fucking flyover

only thing that i can think of is that prolonged brewing "activates" or "rehydrates" certain ligands in the drink that compete with caffeine to bind to the same receptor, creating an ineffeciency of the uptake of caffeine.

but who fucking knows

I really like yerba soda so I'd be interested in tasting yerba tea. But that looks absolutely foul, how do you stomach all that plant sludge?

I like you

> the effect doesn't occur shortly after, rather about 3 hours after consumption
That sounds like something easy to overdose on.

it works immediately, overdose has the same effects as coffee overdose
OP is talking out of his ass

you don't drink the plant matter you moron. the straw filters it. it's tea

I didn't know there was such a thing as a special tea drinking straw. We have a silver tea dunker so the leaves aren't just everywhere.

you're supposed to use a shitton of leaves for mate, which is why a filtering straw is more practical

Thanks, now I know. That looks pretty slick, I could make my family heirloom a yerba straw.

sorry to jump down your throat like that. i get pretty riled up about my yerba

I'm Argentine retard, you're legit spouting shit you read from some nigger online or from TLC or some travel channel, no one cares about
>muh ritual
no one will say a word if you wipe the state you disgusting pig of a human, you say this so you can finally taste the girls you like spit or something, miss me with your disgusting germs and I have never in my life seen anyone say you must grab it with one hand. this is the most retarded bullshit and the worst part is you defend it because you probably saw it on a travel show shot in some deep ass tiny country town where they beat you with a stick if you wipe the straw because they're so bored there, this is why I hate hipsters like you

>what even is yerbeado

Settle down.
I'm Chilean, and the last time I traveled to the south (Puerto Natales) a lot of people had a ton of little rules for group mate consumption (the grabbing it with one hand was just an exaggerated example). Something like you couldn't say the mate was good because it meant you didn't want any more, that kind of "etiquette". Pretty annoying.

the whole point of coffee is to help you wake up in the morning, you useless waste of space

>Argentinian is a faggy cunt
Figures

Based kratomposter

Just eat half a caffeine pill and/or drink black tea, you stupid faggots.

lol "coming off kratom" is like not drinking coffee. It's not 10% as bad as opiate withdrawal.

Te vieron la cara chileno

Nice bait, hipster, go back to shilling for your 70$ Starbucks medium coffee with milk

Eat a shit covered cock ramesh.

Or Paraguayan, or Uruguayan, or from a very specific region in Southern Brazil.