Can we extract usable energy from Zero Point energy?

Can we extract usable energy from Zero Point energy?

Other urls found in this thread:

calphysics.org/zpe.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-point_energy
utahspace.org/special/forward.html
arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0503158
arxiv.org/abs/1605.04143
arxiv.org/abs/1702.03291
ecee.colorado.edu/~moddel/QEL/Papers/Moddel_VacExtracV1.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=UBxpn6odtcA
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pump
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Pretty sure that's from Half Life 2

no. it's a tiny effect and the conditions needed to observe it require far more energy.

star gate atlantis you fuckin scrub

Not even worth attempting. The amount of power you'd get even if it was possible is probably so small as to be meaningless. Better to work on fusion research and leave this shit to cranks.

Probably not.
And not just because the energy-density is small. The energy is (theoretically) tremendous. The mystery is why the measured value is off by 120 orders of magnitude.
You can't extract energy without a potential difference. Hot and cold reservoirs. High and low water levels.
Plenty of energy in Lake Titicaca, but useless unless you can get the water to flow to someplace lower.
If the ZPE is uniform everywhere, we're stuck.

Of course, if the universe is "hung up" in a False Vacuum, the right jolt might allow us to fall to the True Vacuum (or, at least, a lower energy state.) Since we'd be dead in an instant (and a wavefront expanding at lightspeed, destroying everything) this does not seem to be a technology worth pursuing.

So that's what's inside of this thing.
I always wondered.

Sure, just take this and put it under an extremely strong magnetic field.

Actually, it's around 60 orders of magnitude. Otherwise a good [/thread] post

>Since we'd be dead in an instant (and a wavefront expanding at lightspeed, destroying everything) this does not seem to be a technology worth pursuing.
seems like a great reason to pursue it fuck this gay earth

Can you cite source for "60"
I've always seen "120" and
calphysics.org/zpe.html says
>Since space itself is thought to break up into a kind of quantum foam at a tiny distance scale called the Planck scale (10-33 cm), it is argued that the zero point fluctuations must cease at a corresponding Planck frequency (10e43 Hz). If that is the case, the zero-point energy density would be 110 orders of magnitude greater than the radiant energy at the center of the Sun.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-point_energy states
>It implies a cosmological constant larger than the limits imposed by observation by about 120 orders of magnitude. This "cosmological constant problem" remains one of the greatest unsolved mysteries of physics.

That's the "120" Cosmological constant /= ZPE?

Speaking of zero points, that's exactly what I award this thread.

Sage goes in every field.

Never mind, I just brainletted. Sorry!

is... is that a merchant?

Lightspeed isn't that fast, aliens could've already attempted it millenia ago and we're still waiting for it to reach us

know your memes son.com

Seriously, Veeky Forums was so much better when newfags could be detected by their blatant lack of knowledge of Veeky Forums meme culture. It was almost like a password or secret handshake. Anyone who wanted to join just had to lerk long enough to learn the secret handshake, at which point they'd be naturalized into the Veeky Forums culture. Now memes are logged, archived, and researched on wiki type websites and there are more pretenders than oldfags. Worse is the state sponsored pretenders trying to manipulate Veeky Forums into being their own personal army. They've successfully infiltrated /pol/ and for some reason have their eyes on Veeky Forums now.

can you extract energy from memes?

Good points

I don't know how Zero Point energy is exactly suppose to work. As pointed out there is a direction which energy must flow. This thread assumes empty space is full of energy so energy can be extracted from it. It's more logical to me that solid matter has more energy in it than empty space, so the flow of energy would be greatest when matter is turned into empty space. That is assuming matter can be returned to a null/void state.

About the only consolation I can offer is that the phase-change will roll over us at lightspeed.
No warning and (probably) no pain. So no point in worrying about it.

No seriously, stick this under a really high magnetic field.

The surface of a black hole convert's the black hole's mass into energy through virtual particles (the same ones that cause the casimir effect, or so-called ZPE). I think that's the closest you can actually get to "free energy" while still operating within the laws of physics.

Its more intuitive, not more logical. The easiest way to intuit zero point energy imo is to think of vacuum as a literal frothing storm of energy.

Why would it kill us?

fermi paradoxon solved

It's a solution hiding in plain sight, even if you could, you can't get thing patented fyi.

That isn't the same as Hawking Radiation, is it?

Probably. The extraction is not violating any physical laws, at least.
Even if you can extract a tiny amount of energy, it's still an infinite battery, so it's worth investigating more imo.

Cool, I always wanted the Crystal Tower for Castle Grayskull. Family was poor though.

Because physical laws would change. Certainly the "constants" would.
Atoms might not even be stable.

Fusion in the Sun depends on the existence of a "resonance" with makes certain atoms in the fusion process last longer than would otherwise be expected; long enough to still be around when another proton happens to slam into them to continue to reaction-chain.

The proteins in your body need to "fold" in specific ways to perform their functions. If the radius of atoms changed even slightly all your chemistry would go awry.

In truth, no one knows what the cosmos would be like. But we are evolved for things the way they are and any random change is likely to be for the worse.

Nigga, it is. You can't extract energy without a gradient. Did you ever see The Core? Where they extract energy from ambient heat and pressure? This is some kindergarten level shit.

>but pic related
That can't work. Minus the pumping energy, you're down to a net of zero in a PERFECT system.

>but liquid Helium
The diagram is right that it would have to be gas.

Robert Forward (real physicist) patented a device for extracting vacuum energy. It would work. utahspace.org/special/forward.html
A corkscrew shaped spring would collapse under the Casimir Force. However, the energy gained was microscopic. Charging the spring would cause electrostatic forces to return it to its original position. But the "reset" took just as much energy as you got out during the collapse.
So it was more of a "rechargeable battery" than a free energy source and had no practical uses other than as a research tool.

The pictured scheme reminds me of plans to raise water from a glass using capillary action. The water rises through the "wick", then drips onto a waterwheel and the back into the glass.
The water rises because it's moving to a lower-energy configuration. But then it won't drip!
I expect that the gas, after having radiated energy, won't peacefully leave the cavity. There'll be a retarding force. The pump power will always exceed the "gain".

arxiv.org/abs/hep-th/0503158
arxiv.org/abs/1605.04143
arxiv.org/abs/1702.03291

It's possible that the net energy is zero or even negative, but it's not a given. This isn't perpetuum mobile and doesn't violate the laws of thermodynamics.
Here's a review of plausibility of some schemes, including Forward's, it's a pretty interesting read : ecee.colorado.edu/~moddel/QEL/Papers/Moddel_VacExtracV1.pdf

>They've successfully infiltrated /pol/ and for some reason have their eyes on Veeky Forums now.
we have medications to treat your condition now

cool paper

That IS an interesting paper.

Suddenly reminded me of theorem by Thorne & Hawking (and maybe others) that there is a circumstance under which ZPE can be extracted "usefully".
If you had a wormhole, a shortcut between two different points in space, waving one end around at high speed would turn it into a time machine. It's the "twin paradox". 10 years elapse back on Earth while the rocket carrying the other end of the connection ages only a few months (say 6) during the trip to another star and then back to Earth.

The ends are now side-by-side. Anything (a person or even light) passing through can travel 9.5 years into the Past or the Future, depending on which way you go.

Physicists don't like backwards time travel. Violates Causality and leads to paradoxes. Hawking insists there must be some reason they cannot occur. One possibility is that ZPE (however weak) enters one end, goes back in time, and reenters the "future" mouth. It keeps going round and round, like what happens when a microphone is placed too close to a loudspeaker. Feedback. In a sound system you get a loud squeal. With the wormhole, it builds to infinite energy and destroys the system before any causality violations can occur.

So those physicists DO believe "useful" energy can come from the vacuum -- even if it's only "use" is destroying time machines.

Of course, a stable wormhole (or any other sort of time machine) demands "exotic" matter. If that doesn't exist, then there's no problem and it's not necessary to smash the machine.

youtube.com/watch?v=UBxpn6odtcA

Brainlet here. Do cavitation heaters (aka hydrosonic water pump) use some form of zero point energy? They can achieve over 100% efficiency. I don't know how this works so don't ask me to defend that claim. It's well documented so shouldn't be hard to find, and is even used for commercial water heaters in large buildings. Someone on Veeky Forums once said it has something to do with orders of energy. Like electrical being converted into heat and that's why you can get over unity. But it's literally creating a vacuum to produce more energy than is put in which is why I thought it might be relevant to this thread.

That's what hawking radiation is.

NOTHING achieves more than 100% efficiency!
Followed the link and the "next up" video was titled "Cavitation heater -- Overunity".

"Overunity" is the word scam artists use nowadays because even the rubes have become wary of "perpetual motion". But it's the same thing.

The only way of supplying more heat to a building than you are inputting directly is with a "heat pump". A refrigerator is a heat pump. What gets dissipated by the condenser coil is the heat being removed from the food PLUS the energy required to run the compressor. A heat pump extracts some of the low-level heat from the ground (or an underground stream) and pumps it into your house at a higher temperature. It operates strictly under the laws of thermodynamics and its efficiency is < 100%.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_pump
Heat pumps can save a great deal of energy, but the capital costs (mainly burying the absorber tubing) is much higher than other types of heat.

So, no, a cavitation heater does not involve zero point energy.

cringe