What would motionbe like in a universe with multiple dimensions of time?

what would motionbe like in a universe with multiple dimensions of time?

Other urls found in this thread:

gregegan.net/DICHRONAUTS/DICHRONAUTS.html
gregegan.net/DICHRONAUTS/02/Interactive.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Something along the lines of a lot fewer interactions. If the argument is about 5D space-time, particles would take on trajectories that would prevent them from being as near each other as they would be in 4D space-time. Also, with more degrees of freedom, interactions would not be as "sticky" when they do happen.

gregegan.net/DICHRONAUTS/DICHRONAUTS.html

There's a reason the green area is marked "unpredictable".
Without a single past-to-future axis, "what happens next, given the current state of affairs?" problems can't be solved.

I like Egan. Stone age savages working out Relativity (over the course of a few weeks, and just by sheer logic, no experiments) was ALMOST plausible. Can't think of any other writer who could have been nearly as convincing. Helped that I understand the physics.
I enjoyed the Clockwork Rocket series. Implications of the different metric intriguing.
But Dichronauts floored me. Gave up after a chapter or two. WTF was going on????

>4+ dimensions of space
>unstable
string theory btfo

>ultrahyperbolic
>elliptic
>unpredictable
Grug not understand
please explain to grug

time doesn't exist
stop being a timefag

Newb to relativity here. The number of time dimensions is related to the metric signature we use? In flat (2,2) space that only means that our interval is of the form -ct1^1 -ct2^2 + x^2 + y^2

lol as if time isn't just a 4th spatial dimension that all matter is just moving at the same direction in (albeit at different speeds)

explains the missing antimatter problem

boom nobel prize please

Yeah. It's kind of hard to work out the implications though.

The only observable 'time' you feel at all is proper time, which isn't a dimension but a parameter.

Minkowski space-time (which is what we live in) has "hyperbolic" geometry.
Straight lines (i.e. shortest paths) always approach the edge of the disc at a right-angle to the edge. I say "approach" because the disc, to it's inhabitants, is infinite. You can never reach the edge no matter how long you walk.

Our space is considered to be (3,1). The T part of the Interval is negative and X, Y, and Z are positive.

>our space
I was just asking about the interpretation of two time coordinates.

Oh, well, then try reading Egan. is set in a universe with 2 time coordinates.

The Clockwork Rocket books are set in a universe where ALL coordinates of the Interval are positive. Different frequencies of light travel at different speeds and time accelerates for fast-moving objects. The inhabitants of a planet are faced with a species-ending disaster in 10 years or so. That's not enough time to develop the technology which might save them. So they send off a ship which will travel close to the ultimate speed limit (which I think was blue light) and centuries will pass on-board, giving them time to learn more science yet still return before the disaster.
The first book had an "afterword" which explained, quite logically, the consequences of the altered metric.

Egan definitely knows his physics. He has a tendency though to assume that GR and QM are so obvious that almost any culture, however primitive, ought to be able to see them immediately.

Unless you're talking about a different work than what I'm thinking of, I'm pretty sure there were very relevant experiments that were done.

"Incandescence"

Dichronauts was just depressing. Going from a universe where time travel is feasible, energy is limitless and the quirks of electromagnetism allow you to extrude limbs at will to one where you can't turn to the side without dying in the most horrible possible way... shit made me sad.

There was no ultimate speed limit, that's the point. They simply had the ship travel so fast that its history was orthogonal to the planet's, hence the name. No time at all would pass until they slowed down. It was actually possible to travel so fast you went back in time, and there was indeed time reversed matter in the cluster, like an entire planet of it that they set foot on in the third book.

gregegan.net/DICHRONAUTS/02/Interactive.html

What the hell is going on here lads

I hate this picture so fucking much

Yeah, there was the experiment that showed the the ratio of the 'orbital' periods in the Null Chamber.

I love it

OH SHIT I'M FEELING IT

I'm not going to sleep tonight

You won't in due time

There wouldn't be a consistent sense of what Energy is, first of all. So it's unlikely that any physical process would be the same as it is in our own universe.

Unless this extra time dimension is compact. Then it would be an interesting modification of our own physics on scales comparable to the size of the dimension.