So the universe won't eventually cool down and shrink? Why is this theory outdated...

So the universe won't eventually cool down and shrink? Why is this theory outdated? I learned this is school only about 5 years ago

>bbc holes succ all matter
>bbc becomes 2big4u
>succs everything including other bbc holes and the gravity succs in the space fabric
>collapses
>sends out all mass again
>mass creates stars n shit
>star dies and becomes a smol bbc
>repeat

>So the universe won't eventually cool down and shrink? Why is this theory outdated?
Because the universe has existed for an infinite amount of time, and so we can deduce that if this theory was correct then the universe should have already reached its heat death, which it clearly has not

>what is entropy

Because observations have concluded that the rate of expansion is increasing from forces unknown to us in detail and generalized as "dark matter" and "dark energy" at this point in time.

Unless other forces completely unknown to us are also at work, the universe will expand infinitely and eventually end up as a collection of black holes or as a collection of nothing but photons depending on whether protons decay.

Your school is behind the times.
Before Dark Energy, all the matter in the universe had less than the critical density which would cause a re-collapse. It would expand forever, just more and more slowly.
Now the expansion seems to be accelerating.

Whether the accelerating force will continue to grow, will remain steady, or even reverse -- is unknown.

We know that the universe is flat to within some specification. If the deviation is on one side, then collapse is a sure thing. If the universe deviates from flatness globally on the other side of flatness then it will not collapse.

I'm completely lost on visualizing the geometry of the universe. If it's flat, why do there seem to be three dimensions going infinitely into the distance? If it's not flat, wouldn't it mean that we're either on the inside or the outside of a sphere and could circle it by setting off in a random direction?

"Flat" is math speak. You can tell you're living on the surface of a globe by painting larger and larger circles around yourself. On a plane, the perimeter of each circle is 2 pi times its radius. On a globe, the circles stop growing after awhile. Then they shrink down to a point on the opposite side of the globe from where you started.

In 3 dimensions, you draw larger and larger spheres around yourself and see it their surface area keeps increasing. We're not in a position to actually paint spheres, but we can do the equivalent by noting if the number of galaxies X billion lightyears away varies as the square of X.

I'm aware of basic geometry. The spherical shape of the Earth was determined using trigonometry in ancient Greece. It doesn't answer any of my questions though. Is our "flat" universe infinite in all directions? Would a "curved" universe eventually meet up with itself? What happens to the third dimension in a "curved" universe, would it theoretically pass through the middle of it starting from any given point?

>Because the universe has existed for an infinite amount of time

The universe is a sphere you bafoon

Not an argument.

not that guy but you didnt even give an argument, you just definitively stated a trumped up theory without providing any sort of evidence

and as the burden of proof falls on you, nobody needs to argue against you

why dont you repeat what your prof told you today first year brainlet

If the universe has positive (spherical) curvature, then travel in a straight line (a geodesic, which is the straightest possible, the shortest track between two points) will bring you back to your starting point.
The "surface of the Earth" is only a two dimensional analogy. We can see it's curved into a 3rd dimension, but that's INTRINSIC curvature. The circle-painting trick works. If a paper sheet is curled into a cylinder, that EXTRINSIC curvature. The Greeks couldn't have discovered it with triangles. INTRINSIC curvature requires tearing or overlapping sections of paper. Which is why all flat maps of Earth inevitably have distortion.

If you want to consider our 3-space to be curved within a 4th spatial dimension, feel free to do so. But be aware that doesn't necessarily mean the 4th dimension exists. In the globe-model, the surface is all there is. There's no "inside".

To really understand, takes non-Euclidian geometry (which I am not an expert in) but I hope I answered your question.

2nd law of thermodynamics + universe existed for infinitely long + not currently in a state of heat death = heat death "theory" is wrong

Flat universers get out

Why does this make me feel anxious?

Lecturer: "The Sun will expand and engulf the Earth in five billion years."
Shaky voice from back of auditorium: "How long did you say?"
Lecturer: "Five billion years."
Much relieved voice: "Thank goodness! I thought you said five MILLION!"

FUCK YOU!
How about this for an argument?