How risky is it to attempt to treat my own genetic disease with CRISPR? My doctors are useless and don't give a shit

How risky is it to attempt to treat my own genetic disease with CRISPR? My doctors are useless and don't give a shit.

I ought to be able to just swap the mutated gene for a non-mutated one, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

the-odin.com/diy-crispr-kit/
discord.gg/ftSbffu
discord.gg/DDpUqJh
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_bias_in_academia#Implications
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Do it, record results

Very, very, very, very risky. In the best case scenario you actually suceed in modifying your genes and die of an autoimmune reaction. More likely you're gonna waste a bunch of time and money and nothing will happen.

Gene therapy doesn't work except in very limited cases. If it actually worked why don't you think there have been successful medical trials using CRISPR in humans?

>If it actually worked why don't you think there have been successful medical trials using CRISPR in humans?
Because ophthalmologists are the most complacent and incompetent fucks I have ever seen in my life. There's promising research on doing this, but they aren't willing to actually use it.

you're the incompetent fuck wanting to shoot up CRISPR like heroine without doing so much as any testing whatsoever in an animal model.

Of course I would do that first. I only got preliminary results a few hours ago after they forgot to run the sample for five months. They're still "inconclusive" because they're not sure if the mutation is harmful or a natural variant yet.

what is the mutation?

I know some things about the subject, and give you some pointers, and tell you what's possible and what's not.

but I can tell you that you can't "change your dna" the way you're probably imagining it.

I have a previously undescribed mutation in my EYS gene, so they don't know if it's benign or not.

I have really atypical retinal degeneration that started about two years ago. There's uncertainty whether it's genetic or an autoimmune condition, or potentially both. I also tested positive for anti-retinal antibodies and I'm currently on immunosuppressants. Normally EYS mutations correspond to retinitis pugmentosa type 25, but my electroretinogram keeps showing signs of cone-dominated dysfunction despite my perfect color vision. Also it's mostly just in my right eye,

Plus with the retina normally being immune-privileged, combined with my medication, I ought to have some sort of safety net, right?

>implying crispr works like the green goblin serum from spiderman
i'm sorry

They've used it to successfully treat other RP-causing mutations in humans. Just not this one yet.

Are you willing to shoot plasmids directly into your eyeball? The eye is a pretty isolated region from the rest if the body, there's not a lot of exchange of anything except gases

My dad is a nephrologist. The plan would be to talk him into doing it at home while I'm sedated.

Your dad is Not going to help you perform risky home surgery that might cause unintended mutations everywhere in your body, especially when it's not even his field of expertise.

I didn't say it would be an easy sell.

It would be a pretty direct violation of his medical oaths.

It wouldn't be the first time that's happened, but that's besides the point. Can we please keep this thread on topic with respect to applications of CRISPR to retinal diseases?

What disease? I don't see why not.

Might as well. What's the worst that could happen? You fuck up your already fucked up genes? Best case scenario, you cure yourself. Worst case scenario, you kill yourself by basically causing super cancer and letting a bunch of mutated genes run rampant and multiply in your system. Either way, don't be a bitch.

I'm sorry about your condition.

But yes, if it only affects the specialized sensory neurons in your retina then there might be a chance, as long as they don't die.

you definitely need to keep taking those immunosupressants for a while.

you need to figure out whether it's an issue with the histocompatibility complex or something else, and whether the dystrophy is due to cytotoxic processes (e.g. NK cells), in which case you might be able to engineer a virus that can insert a deactivating surface presenting protein producing sequence into the affected cells.

I think it's possible.

You'll need a well founded education in human physiology and pathophysiology, and then bioinformatics. If you're really motivated, you can probably get to where you need to be in 5-6 years.

Genetics thread for retards
>Discussion of methods of genetic engineering and how one would use those methods to make money/a difference
So, i was thinking. AIDS virus changes your dna. Thats pretty fucking cool, make we could rumble up AIDS and make it target not my immune system genes, but other genes, like cancer genes.
Is the cure to cancer AIDS?

>You'll need a well founded education in human physiology and pathophysiology, and then bioinformatics. If you're really motivated, you can probably get to where you need to be in 5-6 years.
Not OP, but how do I obtain this?

>sexually transmitted cure for cancer
I like the way you think.

what the fuck is this shit possible

people can just fix their own genetic mutations like mad scientists now?

Yeah you totally have the funds and capability necessary to conduct a clinical trial of the kind that would give meaningful data. Shut the fuck up and go to a different doctor.

im getting mixed vibes from this thread

is it or is it not possible to cure your own genetic disease by yourself like a mad scientist in your basement?

the-odin.com/diy-crispr-kit/
$159. Opinion discarded.

with n=1 you can't tell much of anything

Now I see how OP ended up this retarded.

>people can just fix their own genetic mutations like mad scientists now?
it's been possible for a few years

>If it actually worked why don't you think there have been successful medical trials using CRISPR in humans?

Ethics issues.

Possible? Yes, in a I might discover a massive seam of gold under my house way.
Great Job! Now op just needs to somehow buy the education and work experience necessary to conduct a clinical trial of any significance off amazon and hes good to go! Dont forget to add all the lab assistants, and facility cost to cart though.

I already have the bioinformatics part covered. I need to read up on molecular genetics still.

it's possible to attempt it. it is not advisable in the slightest.

The answer is yes, maybe, but you are almost guaranteed to fuck yourself up.

you WILL die

Okay, new plan:

EYS codes for an aqueous protein that is excreted from healthy cells and used to stabilize the surrounding extracellular matrix. Since it's extracellular I should be able to synthesize it in Escheria coli, just like insulin, and then inject it retinally. I've gone 23 years without a functioning copy, so injections every 2-3 years should be curative.

Tell me what's wrong with this plan.

You lack a basic understand if genetics would be the first real hurdle here.

>best case scenario: you die
>more likely: nothing happens

this is why i hang around here

Because leftists despise anything that suggests natural hierarchy like genetics do.

What's the future potential of a CRISPR treatment for crohns? Mode of administration would be easy: either alimentary tract for gut or blood for immune system. The genes behind it are well documented.

So what's stopping it when there are essentially no treatments right now?

>thinks genetics are like LEGOs
you need to stop watching so many hollywood movies.

How much are you going to inject? If it stabilizes ECM, are you going to injectultiple places or just one and hope it diffuses?

H-human TESTING!?!??!?!

Man, i injected myself with nigerian dna, then chopped my dick of so that it would grow back longer, but now im just a retard without a penor.

not advised!

Not to mention you're almost certainly HIV+ now.

>my immune system has a kink and secretes antibodies that form harmful complexes with some aqueous protein
>let's just inject more of it!
I wish being blind didn't preclude you from posting your results here

Don't. Attempt. Your own. Cure.
I'm sure being in Veeky Forums for too long has inflated your ego and convinced you that the reason your condition (along with most autoimmune disorders) has not been cured yet is because people in the field don't have your smart pretty head, but these things are slow precisely to prevent arrogant and overconfident people like you from harming themselves

Worked for me.

>I don't see why not.

That's cold, man.

>Read a book
>Read a book
>Read a muthafuggin book

More specifically?

Not sure yet. I might be able to get away with just injecting it into the vitreous, or better yet the bloodstream. I have more research to do.

It's not definitively autoimmune at all. I was placed on those drugs prophylactically, and tests for anti-retinal antibodies are notoriously nonspecific for actual disease.

>I might be able to get away with just injecting it into the vitreous, or better yet the bloodstream.
bloodstream won't work, the eye is immune-privileged.

I know, but it's already designed to diffuse through the retina, so I'm not sure if the BRB might permit it to enter.

Which boog?

I had no idea crispr was something you could do in your room

youre are retarded

nope, only works on embryos

>that one time Veeky Forums cured a rare and formerly untreatable disease

Day 2 update:

It looks like EYS is also a CRB1 antagonist, so it's going to be really important to get the dosing right in order to avoid creating even bigger problems like RP12 or LCA. In that case, dosing might work best via a retinal implant like those ones they have for severe cases of uveitis. Of course, without the steroids that give you horrible cataracts after a couple years.

Also starting to look into sources of funding for commercialization btw.

>best case scenario: you die
>more likely: nothing happens

Not OP, thanks for the info.

Halfway between these two:

It's easier in the germline but it is possible to do it somatically, though we'll need better vectors of introduction for that to really be viable

Not remotely true. Embryonic is easiest but then you have stem cell resevoirs of areas of cell turn over such as the gut or bone marrow. Finally you have differentiated cells but these two can be targered, just with a mosaic problem to overcome.

Make sure to reboot your system after upgrading your drivers.

Day 3 update:

Reached out to someone I knew from high school who's a PhD candidate at Stanford now. He has much more experience with this molecular genetics stuff than I do. Ideally I would like his help in developing this protein replacement therapy, but right now I'll settle for his feedback on my approach.

The current outline of my plan is:
- EYS has 6 isoforms, 4 of which are important to the retina, so pre-splice each isoform for transcription
- Insert each isoform into E. coli, which can be used to produce the protein in industrial quantities
- Demonstrate effectiveness in modified zebrafish models (EYS is conserved across the animal kingdom, and the human copy is a drop-in replacement)
- Demonstrate safety in mammals, as well as determine therapeutic dosing
- Begin clinical trials (FDA orphan drug exceptions should speed this along)
- The protein can be injected into the vitreous as an outpatient procedure every 6-18 months
- The vitreous serves as a reservoir for the protein and allows it to slowly diffuse into the retina over time

The main challenges with this approach are:
- EYS is an antagonist of CRB1, so the dosing must be perfected to avoid creating further complications like RP12 or LCA
- Mice have no copy of EYS, so testing is limited to fruit flies, zebrafish, and primates
- EYS is 2.2 Mb long, so I'm not sure if this might present issues with producing transgenic E. coli

Well, I guess best of luck OP.

I hate to say this, but even if you get the ball rolling on this it's gonna be many, many years before you synthesize a cure and then get the FDA to approve it for human use... but at least you can make a contribution for people like you.

>Begin clinical trials (FDA orphan drug exceptions should speed this along)
see you in 10 years

Meh, I'm still willing to bootleg it once I've figured out therapeutic dosing. Plus the FDA has a track record of approving protein replacement therapies very quickly, and this has a minimal risk profile due to being contained in the eye.

Friendly reminder

that guy seems like the quintessential douchebag if i've ever seen one

>and die of an autoimmune reaction
More like get arthritis and be a bit sore

>being a literal soyboy

This meme is getting tired fast.

There is at least one hierarchy we can all agree on, and it goes left-wing > right-wing.

Do you want to die Veeky Forums?? If not get in here:

discord.gg/ftSbffu
discord.gg/DDpUqJh

I guess now the question is do I buy my own lab equipment, or do I find a way to use someone else's? Thoughts?

Starting out I'm just going to be doing some basic protein synthesis and CRISPR gene knockout in zebrafish embryos.

Make your own thread.

What's in this discord?

Have you considered going to school and making research into this the topic of your dissertation? Could gain you access to equipment, and help depending on your current level of education.

I had considered it, but I'm worried about getting bogged down in irrelevant graduate coursework that would slow down my development of a cure. I probably have about 5-10 years of functioning vision left, so I need to produce this as quickly as possible.

Also I'm not sure how graduate programs would feel about admitting someone with an undergrad degree in an unrelated field. I have a BSc in mechanical engineering and was about to go for an applied math PhD before the vision problems started to hit.

In theory it would but if I was you I would not just mutate one gene I would make a better human

> universities are artificially increasingly left wing
> universities politically indoctrinate students
> people with degrees are therefore left wing
None of that entails a causative link between intelligence and left wing predisposition. In fact a recent major survey found that when tested for political knowledge, people on the right came out much better. Im a doctor and i recall almost all my lectures starting with political asides and that had an impact whereby i had to keep my political beliefs very quiet in order to not run into issues.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liberal_bias_in_academia#Implications
>There is little evidence, however, that the political orientation of faculty members affects the political attitudes of their students.[15] A 2008 study by Mack D. Mariani and Gordon J. Hewitt found no evidence that faculty ideology was "associated with changes in students' ideological orientation" and concluded that students at more liberal schools "were not statistically more likely to move to the left" than students at other institutions.[12] Similarly, Staneley Rothman, April Kelly-Woessner, and Mathew Wossner found in 2010 that students' "aggregate attitudes do not appear to vary much between their first and final years," and wrote that this "raises some questions about charges that campuses politically indoctrinate students."[16]
But I suppose Wikipedia is run by liberals too, so you can't trust that.

Day 4 update:

Pirated/ordered some books. Talked with my contact at Stanford. Starting to work out some of the implementation details and build out a support network of people who have more experience doing this than me.

Take it somewhere else.

there's promising research but they arent willing to SEE IT

HAHA LOL HEARTY KEKS

basically this:
your dad does not want to puncture your eyeball, then see you get super sick from a failed mutation, and then morn your death as he get gang raped in a prison cell because of the huge legal issues hell get into

actually, if anyone ever invented some kind of super benign healing virus, this would be the best way to make it spread

the virus is HIV

Please keep us updated. Maybe start a blog or something and link it here.

No but a university research study on the bad effects of left wing university professors is clearly going to be useless out of the gate.

Clearly.

kek

>he is actually going through with this

this should be good.

Day 5 update:

Spent most of the day trying to reverse engineer wtf this little guy actually does. Without having run actually experiments yet, I'm trying to make an educated guess about its function by looking at similar proteins and trying to reconstruct how it might have evolved, and then corroborating that with some of my symptoms (e.g. lots of flashing lights with vigorous exercise, flashes go away when holding breath/lower blood pH).

My current best guess is that it uses Ca2+ ions to facilitate F-actin remodelling, but I think there's more to it than that. I have a feeling that it also does some sort of calcium scavenging, because muscle contraction tends to release free calcium ions, and holding your breath ought to reabsorb them (plus I started drinking an assload of milk around the time this started getting bad). It's also descended from epidermal growth factor (EGF), which probably means it has some additional role in cell signalling or gene expression. I think the next few days will be pinning down what EYS does a bit better.

Will CRISPR beckon the dawn of anime catgirls?

This in all honesty is just a reflection of mass immigration into white countries. It's not showing where evolution is taking us so much as it's showing what is happening/will happen to white genetics as it is polluted with non-white genes.

>Mice have no copy of EYS, so testing is limited to fruit flies, zebrafish, and primates
>primates
may I suggest to abduct random hobos to experiment with?

I'm considering it, but I probably wouldn't want to link my identity to Veeky Forums. There's way too many underage edgelords that will go out of their way hurt you.

Also another thing to consider is that if I'm going to have to buy lab equipment, then I'm going to need funding, and that might mean investors. If I create my own prior art by hosting a blog then I might not be able to secure a patent and they won't to give me money. It fucking sucks that the only way ((they)) will let me make this is by charging insurance $100k per dose because so few people have it.

Only if I can get to them as embryos and do gene knockout.