What is the most Veeky Forums genre of fiction and why is it historical fiction?

What is the most Veeky Forums genre of fiction and why is it historical fiction?

historical fiction is a broad genre really.
I feel like you're right but not in the case of recreating major historical events but more in exploring the lesser known aspects of history throguh fiction.

Or using a historical era/event as the backdrop or building block of your story

I avoid it because I don't want the purity of my historical understanding to be tainted by some autist's fanfiction. I think it's by far the most pleb genre.

The most Veeky Forums genre is "miscategorized as magical realism"

Slice of life

>purity of historical understanding
so innocent

If you look at it that way all fiction is some autist's fanfiction

Try the Aubrey–Maturin series

Patrick O'Brian once wrote "Obviously, I have lived very much out of the world: I know little of present-day Dublin or London or Paris, even less of post-modernity, post-structuralism, hard rock or rap, and I cannot write with much conviction about the contemporary scene."

>Historical fiction is a literary genre in which the plot takes place in a setting located in the past. Historical fiction can be an umbrella term; though commonly used as a synonym for describing the historical novel; the term can be applied to works in other narrative formats, such as those in the performing and visual arts like theatre, opera, cinema and television, as well as video games and graphic novels.

>An essential element of historical fiction is that it is set in the past and pays attention to the manners, social conditions and other details of the period depicted.[1]

Disgusting. There's no excuse for setting books in the past nowadays.

That's literally the opposite of the truth
Nowadays is fucking shit for plots, history is rife with exciting times that can help you explore whatever your theme is about.

Historical slice of life is as god tier as you can get

Like any genre, it has potential,in reality it's mostly cop out for hacks like Sienkiewicz to write glorified melodrama.

Who /MastersofRome/ here?

I was discussing about master of rome in Veeky Forums last night.
Scaurus Princep senatus best girl.

He's pretty great

Fiction is all lies. That's what makes it fiction.

This and Laurus best historical fiction of the last year for me

its still genre fiction so no, its not lit. fantasy novels with romans are still shit

what is lit then?

Nautical fiction

Slice of life by an author that lived then, not by an author now set in a historical time.

^

>historical fiction is genre fiction
Dumbest statement currently on Veeky Forums, good job.

Baby don't hurt me

but isn't anything written taking place in the past with accurate depictions of the surrounding locale and culture of that era technically historical fiction