Why do you read?

Is it because of entertainment? A feeling of fulfillment? Curiosity about life's questions? Searching for answers for your problems?

For me it isn't just a feeling of curiosity because I already have the sciences for that, I'm trying to figure out whatever it is that is bothering me and how I can deal with it.

Discuss.

desu I just read bc I enjoy passing the time that way. I enjoy other stuff too.

it feels good when the squiggly lines on the page go into my brain

it's the same pleasure as a good shit just backwards

>it's the same pleasure as a good shit just backwards
This. I agree 100%. Nothing pleases my rectum more than a good book.

i'm working my way up to gravity's rainbow. i tried v. last night but there was some bleeding so i stopped

Because I started browsing lit

A combination of the first two.

I'm anhedonic and i find that literature tends to be the only thing that stimulates me enough that i don't start thinking about castrating myself with the end of rusty tin can

It's because of literature that i got into other art, most prominently music and cinema, although the only reason i don't get into painting more is because i can barely get out of my house, so i can only order books which have collections of the artists work.

I hate this fucking board

Reading helps me make sense of the world.
Books are tools which offer the promise of knowledge. Even at my most depressed I've read books because there isn't an experience someone else hasn't already had and dealt with, and then written their experience into a book. This is similar to the notion of reading to not feel so alone in the world.
But what are words written on a page? It's telepathy -- the articulated thoughts of the author. If you're literally reading the thoughts of a person then of course you're going to feel in good company.
There's also the aspect that reading a book is like a game. You can tell from the start that there are milestones (chapters) which you can make progress with.

I started with reading Harry Potter and the Edgeworld Chronicles and from there I've built my reading curiosity to historical non-fiction, books on philosophy (particularly Stoicism), and and have the confident to at least attempt books which are outside my field of interest.

This also stems from the frustration I have with cinema, which is my first call of entertainment which gave me a greater understanding of life. After a certain point with cinematic narratives they just don't have the in-built meaning of written works. There are a few films which are exceptions to this rule.

Those are a few initial reasons.

All of the above tbqh. Some times I read something really bad like Robert Ludlum just so I don't need to think as much, and other days I read philosophy.

It's overall pretty soothing to read for me.

it's a "meaningful" way to waste time. sometimes enlightening, sometimes entertaining. but the primary reason I read is because I lack an alternative

I got back to reading because of the Veeky Forums memes, and also I fantasize about being a writer a lot (ik I'm repeating myself).

But I moved onto reading things I like instead of forcing myself to go through the classics. And I don't play vidya anymore so that's a plus.

you misspelled 'love'

I read because it really gets my noggin joggin

I plan to kill myself at age 30 and I desire the knowledge and life experience in order to make that decision.

to escape from life and distract from death

It's a form of meditation for me, it's not often I get to focus on something for 30 mins without interruption, and I hope that will increase my ability to concentrate. I also want to increase my vocabulary and I'm interested in exploring ideas. Desu.

myguy.jpg

I'm just incredibly lonely.

I live to make other people feel dumb. I can only do that if I read books.

because i want and i can

looking for the best language to explain the shit heaps passing themselves off as culture on both the "left" and the "right."

I discovered philosophy. I started to learn more deeply about religion.

Things started working out better for me

I wanted to learn more

I found out I was a pleb

I started with the Greeks.

I keep reading through stories I've heard references to before but have never actually read and am regularly getting blown away by the new perspective I have. Combine this with a genuine belief in the value of reading, I'm motivated to read on a conscious and subconscious level.

I'm also becoming more aware of my own profound ignorance and realise that unless I read through a huge amount of literature I've never read I'm basically talking about of my ass on a ton of issues I like to talk about.

Escapism, really. It's a hobby of consumption, and as I don't have any great insights into anything, I don't feel I'm much different than a video game hobbyist.

I'm pretty much at this point as well, but honestly, I feel like the majority of people are at this level and just can't admit it.

>I'm a bitch-ass nigga and absolutley hate humanity, or interacting with humans in person
>To continue reading for education and entertainment I have to interact with humans in person at a job

I read to escape the shitty life I built to read, because the only motivation I have is to read.

I read to be more educated.

I kept running out of mobile data. That is the starting reason.
I didn't really like talking to people back then. That strengthened it.
People call me "that guy who reads". That made me feel good.
And I like books, languages and ideas. That cemented it.

too real