Why isn't caffeine addiction looked down upon?

Why isn't caffeine addiction looked down upon?

Because caffeine does not negatively impact your functioning. It's consumed in a delicious hot beverage that warms the soul, and it's an addiction you can kick with like 2 days of withdrawals and the worst symptoms are a headache and minor drowsiness.

But it's a drug.

The erections your mom gives me are a drug. Should we make that illegal too?

According to the Bible, yes.

Because coffee doesn't make me beat my wife.

Technically anything can be a drug depending on your brain. Music, videogames, reading...

Vintage postum ads tried to villainize caffeine.

Postum is kinda tasty by the way. I'll drink it along with coffee.

Okay, give me a verse.

In West Philadelphia I was born and raised in the playground is where I spent most of my days

Because like 70% of people rely on it to get through the day.

Bullshit. I went through withdrawl when I quit drinking everyday.

just say it's adultery and you can stone her

Where do you find this stuff? Only Mormons seem to drink it

>muh precious brain chemistry

It's a very harmless drug

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting, redditor.

Who the hell gives their kid coffee or tea in the first place?

Why wouldn't you give a child either one?

I work in a cafe and I can say the people addicted are fucking insufferable.

I didn't drink coffee until I was in college and tea is for non-americans. Unless you mean sweet tea which has almost no caffeine

By your logic, cocaine should be a socially acceptable stimulant. Heart arrythmia, jitters, muscle tremors can all negatively impact your functioning.

>sweet tea has no caffeine
Man you guys really are stupid when it comes to scientific non-cooking shit.
Adding sugar to steeped black tea does not remove the caffeine.

Why are so many white women totally unfunny

how do you know that image macro was made by a white woman?

Because being unfunny is true of most people in general.

>Why isn't caffeine addiction looked down upon?
Because it's super common and there are no appreciable side effects. It's not like alcoholism where people develop serious health/social problems.

Because
>1. It's dirt cheap and freely available
>2. It at least somewhat helps productivity
>3. It is very difficult to overdose on
>4. It has a comparatively light withdrawal
>5. Its health effects are limited compared to other drugs
>6. It does not cause drastic visible behaviour changes in moderate users

so it fits nicely into every-day casual use.
laid out clearly like this, you should not only be able to see why it isn't looked down upon but also why other drugs are, such as alcohol (contrasts with all points), nicotine (contrasts with points 2, 4 and 5), weed (contrasts with points 1, 2 and 6) etc.

nayrt but not really. they are both stimulants, but not all stimulants are equal. cocaine is more addictive than caffeine and is worse for your body. maybe that'd be different if cocaine was available in more easily-ingested forms so you didn't have to risk destroying your septum or collapsing your veins. unless you're snorting nodoz, your main long-term effect from caffeine is ulcers and maybe migraines from withdrawal.

meth is a stimulant too but a brief perusal of mugshots will tell you that it is pretty clearly not good for you in ways that you don't see with caffeine.

>caffeine does not negatively impact your functioning.
>it's an addiction you can kick with like 2 days of withdrawals
This is bait, right? There's no way someone could be so clueless.

he's probably thinking of caffeine when it's consumed in a normal and reasonable fashion. it's true that his statements are false if you are trying to mainline pot after pot of tea or jam coffee grounds up your dick like some people do.

Cause its the closest we have to safe, consequence-free biohacking

>Because caffeine does not negatively impact your functioning.
This is bait, right?

Also by Allah, coffee is not delicious!

That's how "addiction" works. If you're not anally inserting caffeine pills then you're not really addicted.

>coffee is not delicious
But it is tho. A cup of coffee and a slice of pie / cake is love. It is life.

Its not funny but the author obviously thinks it is

This is bait.

I'm not a meme expert, but I believe that it's safe to say that this is an example of irony, my good niBBa. Don't quote me on it, though. As stated above in my post, I'm no expert.

You can always spot someone who has only had Folgers from his mom's stained old Mr. Coffee.

>high school
>Friend orders a ton of espresso
>dumps them into a big gulp & drinks while walking around the mall
>starts sweating, goes home and lies down with a rapid heart beat

is she mistress t?

do you get off posting cp on Veeky Forums?

Drinking 6 cups of coffee per day is associated with a ~70% decrease in all-cause mortality over the course of 10 years.

Drinking coffee also triggers autophagy, which prevents Alzheimer's disease.

Drinking coffee also promotes weight loss and heart health.

In addition to the health benefits, it contains caffeine, which gives you energy and which you cannot easily overdose on.

Aye, if it were not the case then being a comedian wouldn't be a profession

> 1. It's dirt cheap and freely available
So was tobacco until the government started taxing it because of lung cancer risks.
> 2. It at least somewhat helps productivity
This is true if you drink the right amount.
> 3. It is very difficult to overdose on
If you have a caffeine sensitivity or a mental illness, even small amounts can be an overdose.

In addition, drinking a 2-3 cups of coffee on an empty stomach when you don't have the addiction is generally enough to give a non-coffee drinker jitters, anxiety, and even mild hallucinations (though that bar depends on how intense your anxiety is)

Granted, this is coming from a substance abuser who used caffeine for a while.
> 4. It has a comparatively light withdrawal
I have friends who literally cannot stop drinking coffee or they get depressed, have headaches/are in pain and are constipated for weeks.
> 5. Its health effects are limited compared to other drugs
What does this even mean
> 6. It does not cause drastic visible behaviour changes in moderate users
Caffeine increases aggression and talkativeness like other stims, though again this depends on the person.

Where the fuck is that image from? It's so creepy

>So was tobacco until the government started taxing it because of lung cancer risks.

Right. And at that time tobacco use was also widely accepted and rarely looked down upon. Just like coffee today.

I've met a guy who had to stop all caffeine ingestion because it was ruining his liver. Granted he was getting 3 grams a day, mostly through preworkout, but it can really mess you up.

>1
agreed, which correlates to point 5
when nicotine's health issues entered mainstream consciousness, it fell from universally accepted

>2
yep

>3
allergies and special sensitivities don't affect general perception of things, see also: any food allergy or sensitivity

>4
Key word here, Comparatively. I'd put your friend outside of normal use. Alcohol fits this bill: normal use of it and withdrawal is literally a hangover

>5
It means what it says. Having a coffee in the morning every day hasn't been shown to give you cancer or make you susceptible to alzheimers or what-have-you

>6
in moderate users, and again refer to what I said responding to your 3'rd point

m8 that's 3 fucking grams
that's like 30 cups of coffee

I really, really hate this image

It's a legal drug

they're both solid 5's for their respective age group.

nothing wrong with having sex, bible isn't anti-sex, it isn't even anti-sex out of wedlock

its the official stance of the church because they feel the best way to prevent accidentally sinning is to avoid behaviors that could be sinful. But sex isn't sinful on its own.

it only becomes a problem if you are fucking someones spouse or you are married yourself because there was a commitment made to god

Probably because caffeine doesn't impact your life negatively and isn't steeped in death, violence and corruption at every facet of it's creation and distribution.

*sniiiiff*
Do I smell regulation?

>I have friends who literally cannot stop drinking coffee or they get depressed, have headaches/are in pain and are constipated for weeks.
You're confusing withdrawal symptoms with being sad cuz you can't have your starbucks anymore

It's a proven performance enhancer that's relatively risk free, it's just about the only thing other than meditation that can actually enhance your cognitive abilities

Most sweet teas use caffeine free tea to brew with, in my experience anyway.

i drink a cup around 10am and another around 7pm

it's too much for me first thing (water wakes me up better), and i find it helps me digest my dinner

i still get serious shakes from caffeine, so no real dependence, no withdrawals

>Drugs are okay if they have little to no downsides
Where have I heard this argument before

I always feel like shit after drinking something with too much caffeine in it. Like 200mg or so.

Honest answer: because the stigmas against drugs have more to do with the social status of the users of said drugs rather than the drugs themselves.

It's not logical, but humans are not perfectly logical beings.

>Granted he was getting 3 grams a day
If you drink insane amounts of water that can kill you as well, doesn't mean water is bad

>Technically anything can be a drug depending on your brain. Music, videogames, reading...
Technically, no.

>It's a drug

so is Tylenol, or the chemicals your brain produces

No, those are addictions not drugs.
Addiction is a psychological disorder where someone tries to compensate for problems in their life by habitually relying on something that provides them with temporary gratification.
Drugs are a common addiction, but not all addictions are drugs.

>Most sweet teas use caffeine free tea to brew with, in my experience anyway.
No, they do not.
Most are made with ordinary orange pekoe black tea leaves, like Luzianne, Tetley, Winn-Dixie, Publix, Lipton. Decaf pitcher teabags are like 150% more expensive if it is decaffeinated tea, versus regular tea. It is a more expensive process.
Not only that, decent noncheap people brew sweet strong to stand up against more sugar and the watering down that happens when pouring over ice. I would never assume iced tea is low caffeine. The only thing that is is true, is that tea is not as much caffeine as coffee, ounce for ounce. Of course when you brew your own sweet tea, you can use whatever teabags and strength you prefer.

>Why are women totally unfunny
ftfy

Honestly I'm surprised it's so normal. I am addicted to coffee and I love it but holy shit the withdrawl is god awful. I've had two cups of strongly brewed coffee a day since I was 16ish, 22 now and if I even sleep in a couple hours extra before I get my cups I will get a migraine like someone's stabbing me in the head and I will feel nauseated until the coffee kicks in. I tried to detox twice, failed both times. I don't know why because it seems like I'm the only coffee drinker that gets really terrible withdrawl.

I've withdrawn from oxycontin after I was on it for a month following a surgery and it was nothing compared to what happens when I stop the caffeine for a day. I can't tell if my genetics are fucked so I'm a natural addict or if coffee just fucks me up more.

From what I've seen from my other friends they all drink the most watered down, flavorless coffee they can find for some reason, I can drink 5 or 6 cups at my friends' houses and I still feel like I haven't gotten as much caffeine as I normally consume, I think this is the norm for most people drinking coffee.

Woman detected

I kicked my caffeine dependency about 4 years ago, and it was rough. I had a headache for a week and was ultra moody.

I might have a hot cup of green tea a few times during winter, but if I do my tea, it is decaf with virtually no caffeine. And I might have a soda once a month, if that.

Get a solid 7 hours of sleep regularly and you wont need a stimulant to get you going. Make yourself hot elixir detox in the morning with warm water and lemon juice, (and whatever else you would want to add, I like it with honey, cinnamon and tumeric) to get you going in the morning.

>tfw dont drink anything with caffeine in it

Don't be such a fucking autist.

I kicked alcohol to the curb and everything about my life improved. I was also developing black eyebags from drinking nothing but caffeinated drinks. Fuck caffeine.

caffeine* not alcohol. Sorry, this board has an alcoholism general and I get confused.

... What am I looking at here?

>The withdrawal is god awful

I mean, not really. Withdrawal from actual drugs can literally kill people.

With caffiene, you have headaches for a while. Granted - they suck. I've had them. But your body isn't going to physically kill itself because there isn't any heroin anymore.

i want to fuck that granny, i bet she knows how to squeeze her old vag muscles tight.

pretty much this

Sweet tea is fucking vile
Disgusting fat toothless southerners

>mccafe
too broke for starbucks?

Diagnosed with ADHD caffeine is a much better alternative to pharmaphetamines.

coffee tastes fucking vile, get the fuck out of here with that shit

Black coffee is god tier

no it fucking isn't it's bitter and tastes burned

This thread wasn't making a whole lot of sense until this point.

Congrats on beating your addiction, you autistic 12 stepper robot.

Kindly fuck off and let other people enjoy mostly harmless things that they don't need to shun for idiotic dogma.

It tastes even yummier than your current rage tears. The roasted dark chocolatey aroma flavors balanced by pleasant amount of bitter truly expresses what life itself is making it a drink fit for the divine, who themselves encompass all of the human experience.

he makes some good points, you're just mad that he criticices your shitty addiction

nah sorry mate but coffee is shit case closed

i would literally boil that dog after that and give it to some chinks as present

Ah the ignorance of the child like mind, constantly searching for the perfect beverage by banishing all bitterness not realizing that it is the balance of flavors and learning to accept the bitter to find the pleasant that will make you enlightened.

>makes good points

No he doesn't. He's just mentioned some unrelated facts and some personal anecdotes that can't be trusted because of his deep bias of being a shitty degenerate who ruined his life by his own choice and then joined a weird cult that forces him to say and think retarded things.

>things are ok if they have little to no downsides

nah mate i like light hoppy beers from lagers to ipas or double ipas anything goes, they're citrusy, malty and have a good amount of bitterness to balance it all out
but i hate stouts for the same exact reason why i hate coffee, bitterness and burnt taste don't go well together, fuck that shit
it's one of these "acquired" tastes people force themselves to like to seem mature and then get used to after some time, unfortunately any average person finds this disgusting
you can call me a child if you want to feel superior but that doesn't change the facts

>Implying Mary Jane is bad
>This whole thread implying any substance which has an effect on the body is bad

Is this a Mormon thread or what?

>I like bitter things
>See I like over hopped beer
Probably a lie also kys