Name me some books that you would liketo read but don't feel prepared yet

name me some books that you would liketo read but don't feel prepared yet.

Rayuela for me

como andás boludo

J R
The Red Book
The Will to Power
any Dostoevsky

how are you not prepared ?

ulysses

Horcynus Orca

Dostoevsky takes no prepwork

For me it's the big literary titans - Joyce, Gaddis, maybe DFW. Definitely Melville.
Don Quixote, because I have no experience with Spanish lit
Also want to break open Godel, Escher, Bach but have been told I Am a Strange Loop smooths the entry
Also currently working through The Iliad and a reread of The Odyssey so I can move to The Aeneid and follow the canonical epics from there.

Hoping to be able to tackle Les Miserables in French one day too, but I'm several years out of practice with it

Anti Oedipus / Mille Plateaux
still need to read Kapital, most Freud, Lacan, Levi-Strauss, Deleuze's Difference and Repetition, later Nietzsche...

>DFW
You don't have to prepare for DFW at all. I only read 3-4 of his essays before jumping into IJ. It isn't that bad.

Greeks
Dostoyevsky

This and also Paradise Lost. I feel like my biblical knowledge is a little too rusty right now.

Italianfag spotted.
Aren't you prepared for what?

infinite jest =(

>Also want to break open Godel, Escher, Bach but have been told I Am a Strange Loop smooths the entry
it's really not a difficult book. it's pop-sci written for the layman

The Ego and his own
The world as will and representation

German philosophy in general fascinates and scrares me

• Gravity's Rainbown (Need to know more of WW2 and shit)
• Brothers Karamazov (As Dostoyevsky's Magnum Opus and Last Work I want to read all his other major works i haven't before do it: Demons, The diot, Memories of the Dead House, The Adolescent, and Insulted and Humiliated)
• War and Peace (Need to know more about Napoleonic Wars and Zars)
• Gargantua and Pantagruel (Guess I need to read the Latins and some more Greeks)
• The Divine Comedy (Need to read the Aeneid)
• Memories of a Writer, by Dostoyevsky (Need to read The Quixote)
• Dublinesca, by Villa-Matas (Need to read Ulyses)
• Ulyses (Need to read Aristotle)

>Gravity's Rainbown (Need to know more of WW2 and shit)
You don't really, the war facts are pretty unimportant.

>The Divine Comedy (Need to read the Aeneid)
after the iliad, the odyssey, and the aeneid, probably most likely some other general Greek mythology readings. What other texts can prepare you for the divine comedy? Some history maybe?

the FUCKING bible

I've never read the Bible and I'm currently half way through Paradise Lost. I don't feel like I've missed much if anything. Just get the penguin classics edition it has a good intro and notes. It's really an amazing work of literature and most Christians consider it a work fiction, not cannon.

Yeah same here. I've read Homer and Dubliners. Next on the list is Portrait and then I think I'll give it a go.

you expect me to read the entire bible before the comedy?

I've never heard anybody say that Aristotle is a prerequisite to Ulysses. How important is it? Any specific works?

War and Peace is definitely one of the more easy books in this set and is practically known for giving you a history lesson (albeit through the eyes of Tolstoy) while you're reading it (though admittedly in some places Tolstoy's opinions actually seem better than actual historians', at least, he convinces you of such). In fact, you might enjoy the book better if you know less of history, though Tolstoy himself will usually imply or casually mention the outcomes before the actual events happen.

It's literally essential reading considering the entire Comedy is all about faith sin and religion. Skip some of Leviticus if you want and you'll find almost every plot-driven work in the Western Canon is derivative of the Bible in some way

>most Christians consider it a work fiction, not cannon.
Dunning Kruger

That's because the entire concept of Lucifer as Satan is a post-Antioch invention. Nothing about it is drawn from the Old Testament, Gospels or New Testament aside from vague references, just as The Divine Comedy has almost nothing directly transcribed from those texts.

There's a huge gap of context from the Nicaea to roughly the Papal Schism era that is just missing from most people's knowledge of Christianity, except maybe the Greek Orthodoxy.

*Nicaea Council

read blow-up and other stories first
by the time your through with that youll be wanting some more Cortazar
the short stories in that book get better and better the last 2 are absolute god-tier 10/10 masterpiece

I'm just barely following you, where should I start other than reading the entire bible because that's just not realistic for me.

Just jump into it.
It just requires a higher amount of concentration than normal in some parts, but that's all.

I mean, yeah, Joyce throws some bits of Aristotle's philosophy, specially in Proteus. But I don't really think knowing Aristotle's work is a requisite in order to read Ulysses. Or, to put it in another way, ignoring Aristotle's work is not as much of a detriment as Hamlet, the Odyssey and the Divine Comedy are for Ulysses.

In Search of Lost Time

Ulysses

Divine Comedy

Basically every philosopher, including Nietzsche, who I just read and didn't fully understand (TSZ). I'm still starting with the Greeks. Once I finish Plato and Aristotle I will tackle some other stuff.

Are you trying to imply most Christians believe that Milton was given devine intellect and Paradise Lost is taken as fact? They don't.

2666 in spanish. t. monolingual pleb

Most christians don't think that far through things. If you just asked them who Lucifer was, most would reference Paradise Lost without even knowing they were doing so.

Your average christian hasn't even read the bible.

Hol up. Does Gaddis take prepwork? I was about to read JR without knowing this

You don't need a lot of prep for Schopenhauer desu. Just read On the Fourfold Root of the Principle of Sufficient Reason and move on to The World as Will and Representation. If you want, you could also check out Essays and Aphorisms before diving into his masterwork

why does everyone think Zarathustra is a good place to start with Nietzsche, much less philosophy?

Knowing about the Napoleonic Wars will just make you think Tolstoy is a hack

For real?

Because I got memed. I assumed it was entry level shit since everyone talks about it and because Nietzsche is so popular.

why would you expect Tolstoy to report history accurately in a novel

Napoelon was a manlet who couldn't defeat Russia while he was literally inside the Kremlin. Tolstoy was right about literally everything he said in War and Peace about Napoleon.

>Because I got memed.
lol I fucking love how this is a verb

Napoleon wasn't a manlet. He was taller than the average man of his time. He was also a genius.

Rayuela is not even hard user, dont be fooled

theres a lot of talk of obscure jazz, but it's fun to look it up and listen to it as you read

Everything by Delueze and Guattari

Just read the Bible. Most critics, even Harold Bloom who is a kike, hail it as a literary masterpiece. I haven't read the whole thing myself, but Psalms and Proverbs alone are worthwhile.

This, also there is no evidence in/throughout the Holly Bibble, or the "lost books" (excepting maybe the Nag Hamati texts), that prove the serpent in Edin was Satan at all.

Umm, no sweetie.

The bible is over 1400 pages long can you all specify what parts are the most useful and if there is a good source for summary?

Don't be such a lazy pleb, my man. 50% of reading is the sheer experience. Reading summaries are no work and no fun, and you''l find nothing rewarding, never arrive at that epiphany(!) we all find in great works. Summaries are just information feeding your brain, but by delving into the source material, written in all its own unique passion, you'll find yourself amazed and, rather than it feeding your brain, your soul and heart will feast.

Give it a go, bro, and focus less on the religious aspects and more on the poetic.

>Give it a go, bro,
I have, got through genesis and exodus and I'm not sure it was worth it. There's just to much

Consider the fact that the Bible is only a compilation of texts written by different people made canonical as decided upon by the Big Shots. They're all gonna be different.

>the Bible is only a compilation of texts written by different people made canonical as decided upon by the Big Shots. They're all gonna be different
Isn't that even more of a reason to specify important parts and read summaries for others?

Hmmm... you've beat me. I resign.

>the entire concept of Lucifer as Satan is a post-Antioch invention
Just curious but how? the bible heavily implies they're one and the same

>not being native in spanish
But seriously, I hope you get to being fluent soon enough, Bolaño is fun in spanish but there's a world of amazing spanish-speaking authors that you get to enjoy since a lot of them have never been translated

That's the thing... they're all important.
If you want to test waters read ecclesiastes, job, psalms, proverbs, facts, song of songs, isaiah, ezekiel, samuel 1-2, kings 1-2, chronicles 2, luke, john, acts, romans, hebrews and colossians.

They're not even 300 pages, if you are still too lazy to do it then don't even bother trying

You can skip Leviticus. Read the rest.

What's going on in that painting? I must have skipped the part in the NT where Jesus goes preaching by the shores of lake Baikal.

Thanks I'll start there, how important is it to become familiar with the Greeks beforehand ?

Looks like some orthodox fanfic

Jerusalem by Alan Moore.

I don't know, the language seems to be hard. Doesn't it have many parts written in vernacular? Also it's very long and I don't really have time for it now. But I can't wait to read it.

>Ulyses (Need to read Aristotle)
HAHAHAHAHAHA

what a cuck

Ulysses. I´d want to read some of the requsistes first

War and Peace. Though i´m only waiting to have enough free time to commit to read it.

Brothers K.Same as War and Peace

In Search of Lost Time. I want first to be fluent enough in french.

desu reading the bible in greek is the single most patrician thing anyone can do. You're literally at /literarygenius/ tier if you're doing that, so I highly recommend becoming fluent in ancient greek