How do you feel about ultra-high end custom chef knives?

How do you feel about ultra-high end custom chef knives?

These knives are made by American bladesmith Don Nguyen and sell for over $1,000 each.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=flqj_vZVnkE
youtube.com/watch?v=ujtDim8GI-4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I wouldn't pay that for a knife but fair play to the people that do.

>American
>Nguyen
Charlie making some knives is at least a welcome change over the Japanese, German, Swiss and American stuff we see here every day.

Why are white """"""""""people"""" so dumb?

this is for single dudes that invite people over to eat and have Heston brand sous-vide things and their friends say "ooh this is really nice never had a pickle before, you should open your own place" and they fuck about like they have some true calling and go to work in a kitchen but their autism gets the best of them and someone says "put some salad on the pass" and the literally put a handfull of leaves on the pass and everyone is like "what the fuck man"

how much for one he didn't write his goddamned name on

$1,000,000+ for autist friendly versions.

You can ask for something completely custom from conception to production. It will be $2,000 minimum though.

(you)

Not gonna lie I could go find a railroad spike and get a blowtorch, beat it into shape and sharpen it and have a knife just as good. If you pay more than 10 dollars for a knife you are fucking retarded. You could go to a restaraunt 50 times and order whatever you were going to make with that knife with the money you would have spent on the knife, which is roughly the point when you realize that your retarded ass just spent 1000 bucks on a sharp stick instead of literally anything else you could ever want within reason.

I sincerely doubt that.

>pay $950 more
>so that your knife lasts 2 months longer between sharpenings
I don't really get it

the heck are those shapes

They are clearly artistic pieces aka collector's knives rather than ones meant for actual kitchen use.

Think of it like those guns with the fancy engraving or gold damascene that nobody really shoots; instead they just sit in a display case or a collector's safe somewhere.

Since I am kind of a philistine, I don't particularly care about aesthetics that much. I care more about function, durability, and ergonomics. Just give me a high carbon, full tang blade with a riveted epoxy handle, and I am good. Paying =>$1K is an insult.

>I care more about function, durability
>high carbon, full tang

>high carbon
1095 is way easier to sharpen than, let's say, s30v. minimal maintenance is needed to prevent rusting and if you use it often, it won't rust.

>full tang
durability. can use it as a baton if needed. more confidence in the knife in knowing that it won't break down the middle.

>implying these knives are for home cook plebs
my man

You can get knives that cut close to that for waaaaaay cheaper.

Honestly, if you're willing to invest some time in resharpening, you can get fantastic performance from $7 knives made in Thailand. Your food might stick to the blade after a cut though.

There are certainly diminishing returns to knives, but a $10 knife isn't the pinnacle of knives.

>railroad knife meme
Even the nicest railroad spike knives aren't going to compare to a wellmade knife made of proper steel. Railroad spikes don't make for good knife steel. You only see so many of them because it's easy to practice on and you can find them for free on the railroad.

>full tang on a kitchen knife

you spelled "autistic" wrong

>>full tang on a kitchen knife
Implying.
I see you doing it.

You know nothing about metallurgy.

I do agree it's fucking retarded to pay that much for a knife however.

I was making a point

I was looking at his stuff a few years ago. The blade and handle shapes annoy me, but they seem to be very well made knives if you like the design. I have one very good handmade blade among several other nice handmade blades and a bunch of decent knives made through various degrees of mass production. Handmade and custom knives are definitely a luxury, but one that I enjoy.

You people are like listening to semen.

obviously he is a second or third generation korean immigrant, born in america

A durable knife will have a full tang. Most quality chef knives have them. Perhaps you don't know what a tang is.

It's unlikely that you'll sharpen a railroad chef knife into disuse in your lifetime, or any chef knife for that matter. With proper tempering, a railroad chef knife can become your primary tool in the kitchen.

I don't blame you for wanting to spend a lot of money on a knife, after all, the main tool one uses to make one's living tends to carry more prestige. Even a professional trash picker would want a carbon fiber stick with a palladium tip.

I think it's pretty cool. Handmade craftsmen's knives are as much art pieces as functional objects, hence the price. Nobody needs one, but I'm sure the people that buy them enjoy them and the people who make them have a cool job.

I have a few hand tools (not knives) made by a gunsmith-turned-toolmaker who made them specifically for me. I've been using them every day for a decade and I love working with them. I'm not a rich dude. I just choose to save my money and buy a smaller number of things made by self-employed people.

>A durable knife will have a full tang
Knife makers make knives like that because this is some kind of enduring lore among customers, not the other way round. Nothing a chef's knive can reasonably be used for would ever require the stability of a full tang. Full tangs are for camp knives and combat knives that will be used for splitting logs into kindling or levering open ammo crates, or for cracking ribs after it has got stuck in some dude's ribcage.

what's wrong with that? seamen often have the most interesting stories to tell, from their decades spent braving the dangers of the wild ocean.

Earlier I was trying to find a sea shanty about food and gave up. Best I could do is one about a m'lady shark. Here you go now.
youtube.com/watch?v=flqj_vZVnkE

For the majority of people, a chef knife is a multitasker and here you are, arguing that is better to have a structurally weaker knife. I already mentioned I am more of a utilitarian/functional guy. I'll reserve partial tangs for my paring knives. There's no argument here, just preferences. A good chef can do wonders with a shitty but sharp knife. Goodbye.

>nguyen
>korean
wut

Where's the Pootie Tang?

A ton of historical swords and knives had hidden tangs and they stood up fine to forces a lot greater than the average kitchen knife go through.

Needing a full slab tang on everything is a meme.

>a chef knife is a multitasker
yeah, but not for making kindling, levering up crate lids and hacking open tin cans

I can create a structurally stronger knife than yours, does it make yours worse?

If I'm a highly compensated salaried chef sure why not. If I was a career mechanic I'd have a complete snap on or mac set too.

>meme
Retard.

How do you know those swords aren't ceremonial?

>arguing that is better to have a structurally weaker knife

No, we're saying that it doesn't matter. There is no task you would use a kitchen knife for that actually requires a full tang.

Your argument is about as silly as saying that the average person should use a 5-ton dump truck for their daily driver because it's "stronger" than a normal car. Yes, that's true. But the difference is irrelevant for that application.

It's not just swords. Pic related is a very large Chinese cleaver. This is not something used in the home kitchen, this is used by pro butchers. I own one. The spine is a full 1 cm thick and it weighs about 5 lbs. That's heavier than the head on most full-size axes. You swing this thing hard. And it has a tiny little spike tang just like many Asian knives do. I've used mine for years and it's never come loose or otherwise failed.

I'm not the person who posted that, but I have seen many swords with similar tangs in museums in Denmark. Many of them were recovered from the sites of viking battles or burials, and they show signs of having been used in combat--you can see the nicks and dents in the edge of the blade where the sword struck something. Some of the marks are obvious contact with another bladed weapon. They also lacked the fancy details and decorations that one would expect to see on a ceremonial sword.

Good answer.

I don't really like the shape of those blades and I'd never spend that much on a knife.

I think my Global was 80 bucks, it's a pleasure to use.

> batoning a kitchen knife

JUST buy a fucking busse then, it's a kitchen knife, not a survivalist tool.

The majority of kukri tangs were also spike tangs and they were meant for chopping.

Legitimately, what the fuck dude?
I find it hard to believe you have actually handled a knife before, let alone used one on food.
I just don't know what to say.
I don't know what to say.

>Knife makers make knives like that because
Yeah, yeah, I should have said "Kitchen knife makers" or "Chef knife makers". A full tang is obviously much better in a knife that is really abused, like the ones I mentioned in my post. Did you even read my whole post?

what site sells that brand, looking my self ?

youtube.com/watch?v=ujtDim8GI-4

They're mean for killing. They're meant for Gurkha warriors who need to stab people without a lot of waste.

No, they're not.

Some are meant for combat, but the majority of them are utility knives. They only got a reputation as combat knives because of gurkhas carrying them into combat and being general badasses.

Proper "ordep Nepal" (official Ghurka) khukri's are full tang, spike tang khukris will either be ceremonial, decorational or for lighter use

if you have the money, whatever