boards.Veeky
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ketchup
Mustard
Mayo
BBQ
Hot Sauce

Did I do it?

I know plenty about your mother's five sauces.

where fucking sauce starts and ends, get off my board

sugar, spice, everything nice, chemical x, chemical w

>being eurocentric
Kys

bechamel
hollandaise

I don't know the other three

can you make unagi tare out of a mother sauce?
oh what's that? you can't?
wait you mean the french were wrong again?

wow imagine that, it's almost like they are just full of themselves and not actually that good or something

mournay is one
look OP at least I can make a gravy with a roux and I think thats a bachamel. add cheese and you got a mournay. maybe it's the other way around.
I used to work at a fairly nice restaurant and would have to make a burre blanc (lemon butter) everyday. was that one of the "mother sauces"

only two matter in general, one is a poached egg topper and the last two are completely irrelevant

White semen
Nig semen
Asian Semen
Indian Semen
Piss

Your mother's sauce

"Mother sauces" are French, so Francocentric

Espagnole, hollandaise, tomato, and veloute are the only ones I can remember.

>implying I use even half of them though.

>implying France isn't in europe

bachemel is the other. after I looked it up there really should only be three
tomato
hollandaise
and roux because roux is the start of the other three sauces
those three are all gravy in my book
I do have to say I make a mean mornay (cheese added to bechamel) sauce with cheddar and cut up hard boiled eggs and spicy crumble breakfast sausage added. served on biscuits
I call it "creamed eggs" and it's my favorite breakfast

My god that sounds fantastic.

Mind giving us a recipe user?

Actually there's 6 now. Demi is a mother sauce and is taught as such in my culinary schools.

I'll cream your eggs.

Cum, pussy juice, piss, dick cheese, and fuck off

man that album is weird. definitely pioneers but fucking hell they wrote some strange stuff

roux, bechamel, hollandaise
uh fuck

it's a dumb classification anyway.

Hollandaise, Espagnole, Bechamel, Veloute and Tomato.
That's based off Espagnole.

Yeah, enjoy your french dip you faglord.

How often do you really use Espagnole?

what album is it?
when are mother sauces used?

youtube.com/watch?v=k0x77EdoXhw
nothing is quite as spicy as realizing man is the animal

How fucking pleb can you be?

sure, add cheddar to bechamel and mix it with cut up hard boiled eggs and spicy crumbled breakfast sausage. serve on biscuits

I actually know the five mother sauces because they drilled them into us in the program I took, and after 14 years in the industry, almost a decade after that college program let me tell you: that shit is no longer relevant.

Roux+x
wow that was hard

There's only once sauce that matters.

people have literally sacrificed their first born for a dip of this nasty shit

the first reply is the recipe user. pretty simple but very good.
if you don't know how to make a béchamel here is a quick rundown
melt a half stick of butter (1/8 lb) in a sauce pan then whisk in enough flour to make it a little less as firm as playdough. cook it on med-med low whisk for 3-4 minutes being careful not to color your roux. add whole milk and raise the heat to medium and stir often while bringing to a boil. after it starts to boil bring the heat down a bit and cook it for a few more minutes until any flour smell and taste is not there anymore. that's béchamel. add about 1/3 cup sharp cheddar stir, add your already chopped up eggs and add your already cooked breakfast sausage about a half pounds worth. add your salt and black pepper after all ingredients are added

mornay
bechemel
hollandaise
tomato
veloute

did i guess right?

>we need more dirt cookies for da minoritees

red curry
green curry
yellow curry
marmite
cummies

>toast
I thought jews were slightly whiter than that

Olive oil
Tomato
Cream
Pesto
Idk

Did I get 4/5?

tomato
alfredo
ranch
buffalo
lemon pepper

You're being dumb again, weeb.

You've proven you're a weak ass cook. Get out.

You're a dumb classification.

That's not true. Any good chef uses their sauce making knowledge on a regular basis. They didn't drill you on it for no reason. Either that, or you just suck and threw your training out the damn window.

Fuckin easy

Clam
Pineapple
Cock
Gatorade
Swamp

Salsa de tomatillo
Salsa de chile guajillo
Salsa macha
Salsa de pico de gallo
Guacamole

Chingate, gringo.

It's a good base, but not a mother sauce because it is made from espagnole

All of my wat

Huh. I've never actually made bechamel. Fancy that.

I mean hollandaise, fuck.

We don't need five sauces because we know we can get more than one spice at all time.
t.asian

Thanks for that, Mr Parrot.
They drilled those five specific sauces into us because that's the way it has always been done and the industry was at one time rife with rigid adherence to doing things a certain way without ever questioning if it could be done better and/or simpler. The only important thing is the techniques behind the sauces, of which three out of the five basically use the same techniques with different ingredients, the fourth still uses some of the same techniques, and the fifth is literally just tomatoes. It's important for someone to know how to make a thickener and emulsify a sauce, it is not important for someone to know the difference between a veloute and an espagnole.

Think about the things you're taught and judge them on their own merits, don't just repeat what someone in charge told you.

Tomato
Mayo
Pesto
Mustard
Schezhuan

>green (olive?) and cinammon
Where might I find such skin tones? Is this what Mediterraneans look like?

holy shit, lol

I remember when I used to call it skin color. No one cared, and there were barely any white people in my class.

If you're working in a French restaurant. It's absolutely imperative to know the difference between a velouté and an espagnole.

Working outside of French rigidity, it definitely helps - "What sort of sauce are we doing for the special?" "Think an espagnole, but with clam liquor in place of beef".

"french rigidity" is literally only a thing in dinosaur french restaurants outside of France. The brigade and old world service style of things isn't even popular in the fucking country of origin any more, it's outdated. You are literally only framing these things in reference to the French because that is how these things have been taught, not because they have any inborn merit. Escoffier was a great man but to think the teachings of a dude born almost two centuries ago doesn't need revision and updating is either just stupidity, stubbornness, or more likely both.

Also I have to say "Think an espagnole, but with clam liquor in place of beef". is possibly one of the most stilted pieces of dialogue I've ever read, it sounds like you ripped it out of a textbook.

>tell sous-chef to prepare me a bechamel sauce
>he doesn't make it with veal stock

que te jodan

Retard.

Unironically useful pencils

>"french rigidity" is literally only a thing in dinosaur french restaurants outside of France.

Not really. Plenty of modern dishes are based on the old master sauces. Knowing them can be useful even for a place that isn't serving French food. For example, the other day someone was asking how to make mac and cheese. It's really simple to say: "make bechamel, then melt your cheese into it, like a really rich mornay". Being able to use consistent terms saves a lot of time and typing.

I agree with you that Escoffier and the rigid French system are outdated. But the fact is that the terms are still well known and understood, and there are a lot of non-French dishes influenced by that system so it is still very useful knowledge to have. And given how simple it is to learn about the master sauces it seems like they would be basic tools that any halfway serious cook would want to know about.

And, just to be clear, I think that isn't limited to French things either. It's equally useful to know how to make other basics like Japanese Dashi, Chinese Baitang, Spanish Sofrito, Italian Ragu, and so on.

>szechuan sauce
>szechuan sauce
>szechuan sauce
>szechuan sauce
>szechuan sauce

That's your top five right there.

youtube.com/watch?v=fF0ReXhNzbc

>For example, the other day someone was asking how to make mac and cheese. It's really simple to say: "make bechamel, then melt your cheese into it, like a really rich mornay"
this HAS to be bait

This guy has it right. Roux is the base of at least half of cajun-creole. Mornay is used for Kentucky hot browns. You can't go to an Italian place or eat a slice of pizza without running into tomato sauce.

>I agree with you that Escoffier and the rigid French system are outdated.
That doesn't mean that style of cooking isn't fucking amazing. But it's what defined restaurant cooking on the high end for a long time. It's NOT home cooking. I cook at home almost every day, and none of what I make is based on Escoffier. Because I don't cook French restaurant food at home.

Why would you think that was bait? What's "baitish" about it?

That's a really clear instruction. If user doesn't know what bechamel or mornay is then they can easily google it. Seems like a great way to transfer information to me.

If you doubt that the posts actually happened you can check the archive or just google "site:boards.Veeky Forums.org bechamel"

Some folks see the use of professional terminology in amateur situations as pretentious.

>>claims he can cook

I do cook French "restaurant" food at home.

I still don't base everything I know off of Escoffier's systems, but having used it professionally - becoming one with the bullshit - has helped me pull off some god damned miracles at home. Shared bases in larger batches, tasks assigned to minimize movement, items placed to minimize searching, dinner ready in 3h, slow down on the wine, and GO!

It ties into my stance on this.

I don't really care if people think I'm pretentious. The system I lived for way too many hours a day for way too little pay was designed to save time. Terminology/Lexicon is a large part of that. "To get what you desire, you must first learn to call it by name."...

To put it another way - you can play music by ear; you can cook food by taste. It helps to describe to others just what the hell is going on if there's a shared system of communication, whether it's standard notation or common names of common ingredients and bases.

You sound like you've been in the industry a year, in one french restaurant.

bechemel, holandaise, tomat, veloute, espangole

>claims he knows that he doesn't know how to cook

>combine soy, sugar, mirin, sake and simmer
Congrats, you've made tare. The technique required can be transferred over from mother sauces or just common sense. Obviously a cooking system can't account for the preparation of ingredients not used in the region, but if you're good at French cooking, you'll have a solid foundation for learning other techniques, and similarly if you master Chinese or Japanese or whatever cooking you'll have a similar set of skills to learn French cooking.

Claims he can cook.
Can't name every one of the thousand islands.

Kill yourself, /utg/ kike

Tare IS a Mother sauce. It, and variations of it are used in a lot of Japanese cooking. It's just a Japanese one rather than a French one.

IMHO it makes sense to learn both. And more. Learn the basic Chinese soup stocks, Soffrito, etc, too.

Nope, just a home cook.

It seems dumb to me to type out a procedure when I can just tell someone "make a Bechamel and then....." If the other person cooks a lot they probably already know what bechamel is. If they don't they can simply google the term. It's efficient, nothing more. And like I said, I don't think this is limited to French sauces, the same concept applies to any other country's cuisine. They all have standard stocks, sauces, and so on. Referring to French sauces by name to save time and space in a recipe is no different than talking about those same kinds of things from other countries. Talking about Bechamel or Espagnole for French food is no different than talking about Tare in Japanese cooking, Mole in Mexican, Nam Prik in Thai, and so on.

>Dairy
>Blonde stocks (fish vegatable veal or chicken)
>Brown stocks (beef venison pork)
>Tomato (with roux, without its italian)
>Hollandaise
Cant remember the names because canadian is for fags

>To put it another way - you can play music by ear; you can cook food by taste.
I was thinking the same analogy because I'm a musician. Escoffier formalized restaurant cooking, like a classical music ensemble or jazz musicians who memorize standards and how to play over them. I see home cooking as more like folk music (at it's best) or pop music (at its worst). You don't need to know the canon of restaurant cooking to do it well, the same way a rock band doesn't need the ability to sight read Mozart or blow over the changes to How High the Moon. Unless you wanna be fucking Steely Dan. Which is OK I guess. Plenty of folks like Steely Dan. But to bring it back to food I like home cooking at home and going out for restaurant food. I'm happy to keep them as two separate worlds.

make a bechamel and then szechuan sauce
szechuan sauce
god's not real, morty
i turned myself into a NIGGER
foie gras
caul fat
creame fraische
chez whitey

>claims he can cook
>uses sauces

That makes sense, but I still think that standard terminology helps.

In the case of music someone might not be formally trained on standards, etc, or care about sightreading the classics but you can still effectively convey information with standard terms, like, say, "12-bar blues", naming specific chords, clave rhythm, etc.

True, but you do have to tailor your terminology to your audience. If I'm talking to an engineer in the recording studio I can tell him to put a hi-pass on the guitar fracks around 120Hz to get rid of murkiness. But if I'm talking to some guitar player I'll say turn down the bass on your amp's tone control. My point is there are several different languages associated with music, the same way there are with cooking. Classic French restaurant cooking is a very specialized language, just like the classical music terminology taught at conservatories. It doesn't apply to every situation. A rock band may do a song with a loose intro that then kicks into a more steady rhythm, but they will almost never describe it as rubato intro that then goes a tempo. Most rock musicians would laugh if you spoke to them like that.

French food is overrated pretentious meme
Fuck you and your faggy sauces

Mediterraneans often do have skin tones described as olive, but usually that refers to a light brown tone with a green or yellowish undertone. As for the cinnamon one, it looks pretty similar to the skin tone of a few of my Native American friends.

I don't know enough about music to know that different terms are used among different groups. But in cooking (in the English language, anyway) the French terms seem to be widely known. Any cook that's not a total newb knows terms like saute, broil, roux, bechamel, etc. And in the case of reading a printed recipe from a book or online source the idea of matching jargon to your audience doesn't exist. If I am reading a recipe and it says to "make espagnole" and I don't know what that is I can simply google it.

>18th century fast food
>relevant

What pretentious fucking bullshit. Standardized musical notation is needed because of how abstract music is and how elusive good ears are. Food is the exact opposite, not abstract at all and deeply culture bound. There's no line between restaurant and home food, it's a gradient. There's no need to know the "canon" to be a good cook no matter the setting. The difference between restaurant and home cooking isn't in technique but rather in the service. It's entertaining through food.

fucking kek

Drunken Devil's advocate here - It's all art, and equally as ephemeral. There for your entertainment for one use only (at least in a live setting for music... god damn, I want to record food).

I learned Vivaldi's Spring by ear - I was proficient enough as a musician to do it, but not good enough at sight reading to want to spend the time on that. I also learned how to make Coq au Vin by taste. Both took a few tries, but I got it. The rest of the Four Seasons, and what I know of French Cuisine (I mean... I did work as a sous-chef at a French restaurant for five years) I learned the "proper" way: read, and executed as written. Practiced until perfection was just muscle memory.

The difference between playing at home or in an auditorium is all in scope and amplification, and that you'd want a tighter, more rehearsed performance in front of the paying crowd.

yyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaasssssssssssssss thissssssssssssssssssssssssss